Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival May 7&8 2005

HollyM

For anyone going who hasn't gone before, Jodi posted a list of tips here. Useful ones !!

Donna, so sorry you're not going to make it! :(

Elizabeth, looks like you're not going to make it either from your latest blog. :(

I am working on my lists -- what to bring, what to buy, what to look at. I think it is going to be really difficult to get anything done at work this week as I am that excited. Heh.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah...i am green with envy at you all who are going.......I wish I lived close enough to go or had the $ to get out there.........one day...one day...lol

both my son and i are going to travel to the event-

will ppl be meeting from the group?

joanne from northern new jersey

Bummer to you too Elizabeth! Maybe next year....

I'm traveling with 3 friends so I'm not making any specific plans to meet up with anyone online, just too hard to coordinate. I will be carrying the "Hungry Husbands" crochetville tote so if you see me, feel free to come over and say hi!

Holly

I'm traveling with 3 friends so I'm not making any specific plans to meet up with anyone online, just too hard to coordinate.

Ha! I know what you mean! Between here, spindlers, and a bunch of different lj communities, there is no way I can meet up with every group of people meeting up! heh. It's very cool though!

I'll be there carrying Donna's fulled crochet design tote and a Tomb Raider tote and most likely in my crochetville tank (or a sheepie t-shirt). How thematic of me! Feel free to say hi, I'll be the crazy girl falling over due to the huge bags of fiber-related goodies on her arms and back!e :lol

Is there anything anyone who can't go wants me to keep an eye out for? ;)

[already on that list for other friends: cool dyed sock yarn, dark red koigu, black cherry colored laceweight alpaca and goat meat (DH).]

DH is bringing out the suitcases today. This is my romantic Mother's Day weekend! Sheep and wool Saturday and Sunday and then Hagerstown outlet shopping on Monday. WOOHOO!

I don't have any C'ville gear but I will be on the lookout for other members. Even my DH will help. I swear I married the perfect man. He is actually interested in my 'crafts'. He states he is going along to carry my bags and look for C'ville folks. So if you see a short, 'fluffy' lady with a long, tall drink of water wearing a doo-rag (to cover up the 'missing and presumed lost' hair), come on up and say Hi.

Penny

(Hoping for great weather)

(Hoping for great weather)

It's a little cool and overcast today, but reports for tomorrow/Sunday are that it is going to be sunny and high 60s/low 70s. :)

:woo

I can't wait! :D

Well, that sure was fun. Sorry to those of you who couldn't make it... it was quite overwhelming, though. And I sure spent a lot of money... :eek

DSC_1987.thumb.jpg

Holly, did you find a new wheel??

Donna, I wore my Sheepie t-shirt and carried the fulled crochet tote and got many, many comments. I pointed a bunch of people to yarntomato + crochetville both. ;)

[sad thing? I think I lost one of my soft touch hooks, the 3.5mm I use for socks. :( ]

Well.

I'm here at the hotel kicking back with a cocktail, wool, and my new wheel :D

The festival was awesome!!!!! Gorgeous day, lots of incredibly friendly people and gobs of fibery goodness. I'll say, we are a great bunch of folk. The place was jam packed yet everyone was plesant, chatty and just overall fun to be around. At the hotel, I can spot another fiber person even if they don't have any external evidence.

We watched the herding demonstration. Those dogs are incredible to watch. It's like there is a psychic connection between them and the shepherd. Well, all except the 4 month old puppy they brought out. He was clearly the class clown of the litter and had much more interesting things to do that bother with those wierd fluffy things. Including trying to chase one of the big dogs. He quickly learned that was *not* a cool thing to do.

I did cave and buy a new Lendrum double treadle wheel. Ha ha, had to twist my arm for that one. I didn't see any used ones around anywhere. I didn't want to wait for the auction tomorrow, we're going to be hitting the road in the morning. I absolutely adore this wheel. I've found that I am definitely a double treadle kind of gal! I have a lot more control and it's a joy to use. I've already filled up 3 bobbins!!!!

I was very restrained fiber-wise. I bought 1 1/4 lbs of this fabulous wool/silk blend roving in mixed shades of teal/blues & purples. I also got a pound of "mystery" roving. Literally it's a mish mosh of what's left on the machines after processing. I never would have trusted buying something like that online, but when I could touch it and see how gorgeous the colors shifts were, I snatched that right up. That's what I'm playing with right now and it's working up a lot like Noro Silk Garden.

I saw a few gals from my spinning group, didn't find any online people though.

All in all, it was a wonderful day. I can't wait until next year!!

Holly

I did cave and buy a new Lendrum double treadle wheel. Ha ha, had to twist my arm for that one.

that's too funny -- the lendrum dt is the one i almost bought today myself! after spinning on it and the kromski minstrel, i know which one i want... congrats on your new wheel!!

I didn't see any used ones around anywhere. I didn't want to wait for the auction tomorrow, we're going to be hitting the road in the morning.

spinning + weaving auction was yesterday actually. today is livestock and farm equipment, I believe. I went into the auction house and there were a lot of old asford traditionals up for auction and a few really cool looking antique wheels, but nothing amazing that i wanted to bid on.

I absolutely adore this wheel. I've found that I am definitely a double treadle kind of gal! I have a lot more control and it's a joy to use. I've already filled up 3 bobbins!!!!

Woo! I am so happy for you! :) :) :)

[i'm tempted to go back today and buy the lendrum dt though I think I am going to restrain myself. ]

Donna, I wore my Sheepie t-shirt and carried the fulled crochet tote and got many, many comments. I pointed a bunch of people to yarntomato + crochetville both. ;)
Cool, Jess, thank you! :clap:cheer

sad thing? I think I lost one of my soft touch hooks, the 3.5mm I use for socks. :(
:cry That stinks!

Archived