First Love Baby Blanket

flyinghooks

You say that your blanket is blocking, I am not totally familiar with what that does. I read how to do it and that it is supposed to help with the shape. But I have a question and probably a very dumb question. After you block a blanket, does it change the texture? Does it make it stiff, like starching? And what happens when you wash it, does the blocking undo?

After you block a blanket' date=' does it change the texture? Does it make it stiff, like starching? And what happens when you wash it, does the blocking undo?[/quote']

It depends on the fiber content. Natural fibers block better than acrylics, but acrylics will still block. I blocked this acrylic blanket because I think it looks nicer when it has been blocked square. I always block any squares I make for charity so they are easier to assemble if they are all the exact same size.

Texture generally changes for the better. Most fibers feel softer after blocking. Natural fibers especially will open up and drape better. It is not like starching. I block with water, nothing more.

After washing blocking must be repeated... especially for garments. Like sweaters that say lay flat and shape to dry". Same concept. I remove excess moisture after washing with towels and then lay out the piece on my blocking board to the original schematics.

Acrylic blankets I generally toss in the dryer... but if I feel it needs shaping, I'd lay it out on a bed to dry...

Archived