Passport To Imagination!

Ro

Hi everyone!

Well I have to tell you, that in the past few years I've done several charity drives and I've found that each one has a personality. They take on a life of their own sometimes, especially depending on the person or group that inspired them, and I find that is just what has happened with the UMC drive to honor Kassandra Okvath.

I had an epiphiny this morning; I've been going in the wrong direction with this! Kassandra is making her jewelry to raise money to get toys and fun things for the hospital, that is her wish. So I think that it's a better idea to go with something a little more exciting than blankets this time!

So I'm going to try a different approach; fun dress up items. I want to make butterfly shawls (I have discovered that my toddler blanket pattern also makes a cute shawl!) with hats with antennae on them (Natalie had mentioned that would be cool a long time ago, great idea natalie!) and lots of Pirate hats for the boys and Princess Beanies with tiaras for the girls maybe with little matching capelets or something. The drive has yet to be named but I am leaning toward Princesses and Pirates or Passport to Imagination.

Because anything that gets kids imagining and takes them to 'another place" while they're fighting to be well is a great thing! And Kassandra wanted each room that Home Makeover did for the hospital to feel like it was from a different country, so that it would be like going on a trip instead of being stuck in a cold hospital environment.

I have ideas for other hats I want to try to find or design...hardhats, cowboy hats, all kinds of things, anything that would be fun to play with. Might even throw in a few crocheted animals. I have visions of crocheted little shields for knights in crocheted armor (or at least capes LOL) and little Jedi robes.

There's no limit to what could be included...anything safe (will be careful about ties, buttons, trim, all that.)

So that's what's up with that. If you'd like to send something to UMC to help me honor this amazing little girl, just send me a PM or email and check the PSF site for updates!

Time for me to get crocheting!:hook

hugs

Ro

Just a quick tip, I am the one that made the monkey hat, I crocheted around a pipe cleaner (chenille stem) to make the tail. I think this technique would make antennae super easy. Let me know if you need more instructions, but I just chained around it one way and then came back and sc up the exposed side (would not need to do this if black pipe cleaners were used with black yarn). Be sure to fold over the ends to eliminate any sharp points. When I attached it to the hat, I threaded it through several stitches and folded it back on itself and tucked it into the chain stitches. I also sewed over the hard wire showing inside the hat to cushion it.

Sounds like a lot of steps but were really quite easy and quick.

Monkey hat? I think I missed something, is there a picture I can see??? :)

I'm so excited to get started on goodies for this :)

Kari, you rock too girlie!

xoxo

Ro

Monkey hat? I think I missed something, is there a picture I can see??? :)

I'm so excited to get started on goodies for this :)

Kari, you rock too girlie!

xoxo

Ro

I found it I found it!! Super cute stuff here!! I'm thinking there were other posts about the hats but I didn't find those as quick. :D

• 1 month later...

pictures of the new jedi robe/poncho I made for this drive are now up!

My next project is half finished, a 'tea time' poncho and hat for a girl with a little tea set I'm sending with it. Then, on to a tool belt and crocheted "hard hat" to go with little Home Depot tools I got at Toys R Us.

Stay tuned for more pictures!

hugs

Ro

I want to help. I will PM you in a minute but I wanted to post a couple links I think might work well for this, I hope that is ok?

Cowboy Hat

Wizard Scarf

Ballet Set

Not sure how little you want but

Fairy Princess Baby Ensemble

Crown

I know I saw a wand somewhere.....can't remember, so I am still looking. Anyway those were a few that came to mind as I read your post:) I think we need some kind of tutu pattern also!! And there are plenty of slippers we could add chains to to make ballet slippers.....but I don't know whow we could make sure to cover the sizes:think . Anyway I am pm'ing you:hook

** Maybe we could have a button to put on our blogs so that we could point readers to where they could help? Like we did with Brendan?

Great patterns and ideas Jessi! Yup I definitely want to make a button, will work on it soon as I possibly can then post it here! thank you for wanting to help :)

I'd say that the items should be at least for 2-3 year olds...then even if they're a little younger they should still be able to wear the items. The stuff will be going to the oncology/transplant ward mostly so I'm sure they'll need a variety of sizes/ages to be covered.

Anything you want to send I'm sure they will find a happy recipient for!

hugs

Ro

p.s. how cute would it be to make a little star shaped badge to go with the cowboy hat!!! I bet you could make one for a girl too :)

There are a couple button images to choose from now at the bottom of the PTI page! I'm using the little passport stamp one on my blog :)

hugs

Ro

If anybody is on Eastern Standard time like I am, you can turn on ABC right now and see Kassandra Okvath, the girl who inspired the Passport drive, on Extreme Home Makeover!

If you're on the west coast you should be able to see the whole thing tonight (second half is on now here)

She's such a little angel!

hugs

Ro

Isn't she just so sweet? ""such a puddin'!" is the perfect way to describe her, those cheeks! My whole family was so effected by her, that's why I spent so much time making her that blanket! I think it matched her room pretty well :) I didn't hear back from them but I was able to confirm that it was delivered so I hope she liked it! If you want to see a picture of the blanket (if you missed it before) here's the link:

Kassandra's Blanket

You can also see video of her room online right now at ABC if you missed it:

Anyone interested in reading about her can also do so at her website

The people from the bead shop were so wonderful do you know they donated 25,000 dollars worth of beads for her workshop??:clap

I got a PM tonight from a c'ville-er who wanted to know if anyone could make up an outfit for this drive, the answer to that is DEFINITELY! The more the merrier! Anyone who would like to knit/sew/crochet a fun dress up type playset for a child, any size, is welcome to contribute! Just email me and if you take pics I'll put them up on the site, also when you're ready to send I will give you the mailing address so you can send directly to UMC!

didn't get any crocheting done today, slept most of today but I hope to be back to work and cranking em out come tomorrow!

big hugs to all

Ro

Ro I talked with the Gang and togethe they have committed to make at least two items for your passport imagination. Is their a deadline? And where do we send the things? They have all ready learned to make baby rattels - sp? could you use those? We would appreciate any easy fun hat patterns sent our way. Pamela

Oh Ro I had meant to mention - think I told you Ihave seven beautiful children - five adopted with special needs? One of my children had a liver transplant - has been 18 years, hers was the seond right after Jamie Fitz - the gal whose Dad started the whole transplant donor organization - so your poject is so close to our hearts - not only that but my husband's favorite place in the whole world is right outside the door of Tuscon - Suquoia National Park - hope I spelled that right - can anyone tell me if there is a spell check on this things - hehe Pamela

Hope it is ok we posted a link on our site for SherwoodForest?

Pamela that is so wonderful! Please thank the kids for me!!! *sniff*

I'm sure that they could use baby rattles at the hospital! Anything you want to make I am sure they will find a home for. I will give you the address for UMC soon as you're ready to send just let me know.

Will work on finding you simple hat patterns! One thing that I've found the girls especially love is if you take any hat pattern and then make braids out of yarn and sew them to the sides...kinda makes them feel like they have 'hair' again...

I am thrilled that you put a link to Sherwood Forest on your site! Thank you so much for doing so! I put a link on the main page of Sherwood to the Chain Gang site too.

I'll work on finding those hat patterns soon as I can! There's no deadline really, this is my summer project so whenever is fine. But even after that, I am sure that UMC would be happy to have what you send and find just the right child for each item.

huge hugs!!!

Ro

Just wanted to let you know Ro that the next quarter for the charity CAL is going to be baby and kids items so I suggested making things for your charities and the Indian Reservation. I just wanted you to know I started this blasted charity along :blush and I at least have to follow through for the year ;) Next year I won't do it because I think there are plenty of charity things going on now. It's not meant to take anything away form yours or anyones charity just sort of to work in conjuction with them.I was a begginer when I suggested it and well let's say I've learned :lol Anyways Your doing GREAT THINGS :angel:hug Keep up the great work :cheer

Woo hoo! Thanks Alisha! I will be happy to be in this charity along as I'm working on my UMC goodies! Thanks so much, you're a doll :hug

Hey Ro I got the nicest thank you from UMC for the butterfly shawl and the princess hat:manyheart I think that is so cool that they took the time to write a thank you:day Buy the way I think the toolman belt that you crocheted is adorable:yay :yay Keep up the wonderful work you do:tup

Yay! Thanks for letting me know Lynn, your set was so adorable I knew they would love it :)

I haven't been as productive as I hoped this week, took a fall and am recovering and so didn't get to mail my box out like I'd hoped :( but that means this weekend I'll have lots of time to crochet and hopefully whip up some more outfits in the meantime! :manyheart

Thanks again for sending them the outfit, I know it made/will make a little girl very happy!

hugs

Ro

Well after many delays beyond my control, I finally got the first box of UMC goodies to the UPS store yesterday! It's scheduled to arrive in Tucson on Tuesday (that sounds like the name of a song or something) I'm so excited it's finally on its way!

I'm glad I didn't mail it before though because I forgot that I had finished a Beth's little star afghan that I wanted to send, all I had to do was weave in the ends. I'd packed it into a box quick right before the painters came at the end of May and forgot all about it! DOH! :lol

So my first box to them contained:

The little Jedi outfit and Flopsaber

The Princess dress up poncho and hat and a little tupperware tea set to host tea parties :)

The Under Construction set with extra tools in a case as well as those in the belt

The Miss Hollywood set

the Little Star Afghan(which I forgot to take a pic of, rats!)

and the first little butterfly comfort blankie!

I sure hope that the kids will like them :)

I have another poncho under construction in rose colored Simply Soft and I'd love to make a little cradle purse to go with it...

hugs

Ro

• 4 weeks later...
not only that but my husband's favorite place in the whole world is right outside the door of Tuscon - Suquoia National Park - hope I spelled that right - can anyone tell me if there is a spell check on this things - hehe Pamela

oooh, do you mean Saguaro National Park? If so, the western part of it is less than a mile from my house. :D

We have Saguaro cacti in our backyard too.

Ro, I also work at the Univ. of Arizona just blocks from UMC, if you ever need someone to stop by for any reason. :)

One of my friends knit an adorable dragon puppet, perhaps I could get her to post a picture online (it was basically a mitten with eyes and that plastic foam board sewn on for scales and fire). I also thought that the fun fur scarves might be useful for dress up as a feather boa or such. I made a few for some of my small relatives.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind especially after the disaster of trying to ship UPS to the hospital, they kept saying they needed an apartment number (hello, it's a hospital!) and after almost a month they just sent it back! I was so glad they didin't lose that box, I spent SO many hours making all the stuff in it! I re-boxed it and reshipped USPS on Saturday...hopefully it's there by now I haven't dug the tracking slip out of my purse yet :lol

Archived