SapphireNinja

Two pattern-related RAOK questions

1. I have an e-pattern that someone has on a wish list. I bought it on a whim and know I'll never make it. If I make sure to delete it from my computer afterward, is it acceptable to send the pattern to the person?

2. I have a magazine that someone has on a wish list, specifically asking for a particular pattern from the magazine. I am happy to give up the magazine except for one specific (different) pattern. Can I tear out the pattern I wish to keep and send the rest?

Thanks!

Heather

sounds like questions for the moderators. I would think the answer to the first question is no but the one for the second question may be yes. I am not the expert here so I would suggest you PM a moderator here and ask.

I think the first question would best be asked at the site where you bought the pattern. You can do anything you like with your magazine, though--it's perfectly legitimate to remove pages from it, and distribute the patterns any way you want, as long as you don't make copies of them.

I sent AmyS an email asking her to please respond to your questions. Although I "think" I know the answer, I would prefer Amy providing guidance

1. I have an e-pattern that someone has on a wish list. I bought it on a whim and know I'll never make it. If I make sure to delete it from my computer afterward, is it acceptable to send the pattern to the person?

As someone else suggested, you may want to check with the site from which you purchased it to see if there is anything you agreed to when purchasing the pattern (check their terms and conditions section if they have one). If they don't make any official statements about how to handle this type of situation, then my personal (non-legal, non-attorney) opinion is that the original e-pattern you have should be treated just like any other original pattern. You're free to pass the original on to someone else as long as you destroy any copies (electronic and printed) you may have on hand. If you keep a copy for yourself, then you may not give the original to anyone else.

2. I have a magazine that someone has on a wish list, specifically asking for a particular pattern from the magazine. I am happy to give up the magazine except for one specific (different) pattern. Can I tear out the pattern I wish to keep and send the rest?

Thanks!

Heather

Yes, you may tear out the pattern you want to keep and pass the rest of the magazine on to someone else. As long as you're not making and distributing copies, you're free to tear the magazine up into as many pieces as you like and give the parts to other people.