DIY show Knitty Gritty that aired 02/08/08-rant

greeneggs

This morning before going to work I sat down to drink my coffee and watch the news. For some reason (perhaps all the BAD news) I got irked and started to channel surf.

I landed on DIY and found a show I'd never heard of called Knitty Gritty. Mind you, I love craft shows. I don't care if I don't actually DO the craft that is being featured, I'll watch it anyway! But I have tried to knit and use a knitting machine so I was a little excited when I found the show.

Tuned in and they were making needle holders....but the needle holders were crochet! Watched a little further and the host asked her guest:

"Is there any crochet stitch you can not make with your knitting needles?"

"NO!" she says with a huge grin, "I can do anything!"

And she was....she was crocheting with knitting needles.

I have to tell you I got slightly miffed. No, not slightly...I got mad. How dare she! You can't do that! The two streams can not mix! Total global meltdown shall occur and SHE is the reason. :help

Am I over reacting? Yes, but only in good humor. Crocheting with knitting needles? The breakdown of society continues.....

Actually I think it's really cool that you can crochet with your knitting needles. Just like it's cool that you can knit with a crochet hook.

I often use a crochet bindoff on my knitting and that involes knitting with a knitting needle and a crochet hook.

Why can't the two crafts co-exist? I just don't understand people being upset over this stuff. It always seems to be the people who can't do the other craft (or have tried it and decided it's not for them) who get upset, and that's on both sides of the yarn.

There are many more things in life that are worth being upset over. :)

Crocheting with knitting needles?! Why can't I wrap my head around that? I don't even think you can use those words in a sentence together and have it be both grammatically and functionally correct! :lol

That's insanity. Cats and dogs, living together, mass hysteria! :eek

Why can't the two crafts co-exist? I just don't understand people being upset over this stuff. It always seems to be the people who can't do the other craft (or have tried it and decided it's not for them) who get upset, and that's on both sides of the yarn.

:lol I think she was joking. ;) At least a little bit. You have to admit, it's an interesting concept. I'm all for multi-purpose tools, but sometimes it's OK for something to be a uni-tasker. :lol

And also...at least in my Wal-Mart, crochet hooks are definitely cheaper than knitting needles, so I'm just not seeing the economy there. :lol

Crocheting with knitting needles?! Why can't I wrap my head around that? I don't even think you can use those words in a sentence together and have it be both grammatically and functionally correct! :lol

That's insanity. Cats and dogs, living together, mass hysteria! :eek

:lol I think she was joking. ;) At least a little bit. You have to admit, it's an interesting concept. I'm all for multi-purpose tools, but sometimes it's OK for something to be a uni-tasker. :lol

And also...at least in my Wal-Mart, crochet hooks are definitely cheaper than knitting needles, so I'm just not seeing the economy there. :lol

Thank you, it was a joke. I knit as well as crochet, in fact when I knit, most of my binding, neck shaping, ribbing, ect. is done via crochet.

I have no problem with crocheters knitting and vice versa nor do I have a problem with the crafts blending....it was just funny to see it on t.v. at 7 am!

My question is, "Why?" I mean, seriously, just to show off, or what? What a pain in the neck to try to crochet with a straight knitting needle. It's one of those things a person does just to prove they can do it. There is really no practical purpose for doing it, other than to slam crocheting, really ("See, you don't even NEED a crochet hook to crochet, that's how useless crochet is, ha ha ha! Knitting is so superior you can crochet with knitting needles and knitters are so much better because we can do everything with our pointy sticks. We rule!!!!").

I saw the program too and I was quite surprised that you could do that, I never saw it before. The woman doing the demostration was Lily Chin and she is a very famous designer who can do anything whether its knitting, crocheting, sewing, etc. she is unbelievable. I personally wouldn't want to crochet with knitting needles and by the way I can do both but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I saw that this am, I liked the needle case she was making, although if I were to attempt that I would probably try it with a crochet hook. The knitted version just seemed like too many extra steps to me.

Did anyone see her at the end of the show when the host was talking with the "knitsters" She was actually using a crochet hook and she was flying, the host said something about smoke coming off her hands and hook,lol. She was really super fast!

Lily Chin was once (and probably more than once) was the Worldest Fastest Crocheter (I think someone else holds the title now...Lion Brand has a free pattern of a sweater (the whole sweater) that she made while she was guesting on the Letterman Show years back...

I saw her make that 'whole' sweater on Letterman's show. It only came to his chest so it was more of a pullover snug than a sweater. IMHO

Lily Chin was once (and probably more than once) was the Worldest Fastest Crocheter (I think someone else holds the title now...Lion Brand has a free pattern of a sweater (the whole sweater) that she made while she was guesting on the Letterman Show years back...

Her name is Lisa Gentry. Here's her site http://www.lisagentry.com/ She's a wonderful person and a very talented designer. She has a shrug pattern called the Shelly Shrug, and I teased her & told her she spelled my name wrong. :lol

Actually I think it's really cool that you can crochet with your knitting needles. Just like it's cool that you can knit with a crochet hook.

I've never seen it, but I've always thought about trying to knit with two afghan hooks. I just knew it could work. i wonder if there are any tutorials or pics on the net somewhere of knitting with a crochet hook. I think it's pretty dang cool myself. :)

Yep, Lisa is a really nice gal. We've emailed in the passed, right after she won the Guiness title and faced off with Lily. A real classy lady.

• 2 months later...
I've never seen it, but I've always thought about trying to knit with two afghan hooks. I just knew it could work.

I guarantee you it does. That's how I learned to knit. After a while, when you want to use thinner yarn, the thick points get annoying, but it does work:

Chain some. Draw up a loop in each chain, the way you would for afghan stitch. Instead of working the loops off as either afghan or Tunisian, put the loaded hook in your left (if you're a righty) hand. With the other afghan hook, draw up a loop in each loop.

Draw the loops through from the front if you want a purl. Draw from the back if you want a knit. Repeat till your eyes glaze over :lol

There's no reason you can't knit and crochet in the same row with the same tool if you want to. I just figured out how to work chain loops and knit decreases for a really weird but entertaining feather and fan pattern.

Draw the loops through from the front if you want a purl. Draw from the back if you want a knit. Repeat till your eyes glaze over :lol

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

and when drool forms at the corner of your mouth you're done, right?:rofl:rofl:rofl:drool:drool:drool:drool

Thanks, I needed a laugh.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

and when drool forms at the corner of your mouth you're done, right?:rofl:rofl:rofl:drool:drool:drool:drool

:lol Yeah, it's exactly like crocheting...when you've been grinding away at some really bad pattern with unfortunate yarn forever, and you're ready to throw it across the room, and you can't remember why you wanted this stupid (insert name of project here) anyway...you're about halfway :hook

Archived