A Butter Tub Turtle With A Secret!

Shebop

Hi! I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of the pattern of the "butter tub turtle". I've been intrigued by this pattern since I saw it discussed here on the 'ville. I, however, didn't think making a rattle sounded like much fun.

I have 2 boys; 5 and 7 years old, and I thought of how much they'd love a toy with a secret hiding place. I wondered if it'd be possible to adjust the pattern so that you could put important "valuables" inside the butter tub but make in not noticable.

Well, here is what I came up with. The boys weren't terrible impressed with a crocheted turtle until I showed them what made it special. Now they are fighting over it and I believe I'll be making another one this weekend.

As I fell asleep last night I pictured making something similar for my daughter, but if the top was red and the bottom black it would look like a lady bug........ hmmmmmm

Thanks for looking! There are more pics of it on my blog.

th_turtle2.jpg

th_turtle.jpg

That is a great idea,and the lady bug too,also an octipus would also work,where could one get a pattern like that ,is it free or can we buy one somewhere.I have some grandchildren that would love one of them.

A couple of you have asked about the pattern. I originally was interested in this when I read a thread here on the ville about the "butter tub turtle". http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43297&highlight=butter+tub+turtle

I think the pattern comes from a 1974 Woman's Day Magazine. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a pattern and I made a few adjustments myself because the pattern calls for crocheting the bottom and the top together completely. I left it about 1/2 open along the back and use the tail through a little gap to keep him closed.

Of course we all know that widbit has made the cutest turtle/tortoise ever! But since there isn't a pattern for it .........(widbit are you reading this???) this is what I did.

The pattern is really very simple, just a basic expanding cirlce until it covers the bottom of the tub, then sc in each sc until long enough then close by putting hook through sc in top and sc in bottom and making a shell ( 5 dc in one sc). In the space I left open I just made the shell in the top layer.

I hope its ok I posted this this way, if not, I guess the "powers that be" can remove it.

Hope this helps!

I might just have to try one of these. I wonder what I could use as inspiration... :think

it is kinda obvious to most of us about how to do this so I don't think you are selling valuable secrets or anything :rofl

Archived