best yarn for potholders/hotpads

Super Granny

Question

I'm in the kitchen swap and my partner likes potholders and hotpads... I have never made any of these in crochet as my Mom who quilts makes us lots of these things as gifts. what is the best yarn to use to make these with.. some patterns say crochet cotton others say worsted weight and still others say rug yarn...

Help

9 answers to this question

"kitchen cotton" is usually a WW cotton yarn. Cotton is best for kitchen stuff as it is absorbant, doesn't "melt" and is a fairly good insulator. Peaches and Creame and Sugar 'n Cream are both good, common brands that come in a wide variety of colors. Wool works for hotpads and the like (it singes, but doesn't burn), but isn't "supposed" to be used for the swap...

some of the things I'd like to make I can't find colors for in the cotton yarn I can find around here and I don't have a credit card or checking account so shopping on line is out of the question.

The Herrschnerrs catalogue accepts money orders and they stock several varieties of cotton. They have every color of Sugar n' cream and a few other types of WW cotton. You would have to call to get a catalogue and send in the order snail mail. I'm sure other catalogues accept money orders too, but I happened to have Herrschnerrs sitting here on my desk.

The other possibility is to dye it yourself. Now, the caveat here is that I have never tried dyeing myself, although I have pondered it for some time. I typed sugar n' cream into the search box in the thread for dyeing and it came up with 3 posts. If you live near a Walmart you can get a big cone of white cotton for a nice price. Perhaps you could give that a try. That way you can have exactly the color you want (in theory, you could have a big mess on your hands, too:eek)

I hope this helps.

Alice

I'm in the kitchen swap and my partner likes potholders and hotpads... I have never made any of these in crochet as my Mom who quilts makes us lots of these things as gifts. what is the best yarn to use to make these with.. some patterns say crochet cotton others say worsted weight and still others say rug yarn...

Help

You need to use cotton. Peaches and Cream or Sugar and Cream. This is my favorite potholder pattern. So easy and practical since it is two-sided but it works up in one piece!!!!! :hook

http://www.mielkesfarm.com/diagonal_hotpad.htm

SuperGranny: Did you know you can buy prepaid Visa/Mastercards in just about any store now? Most banks have them too. I think they work the same as gift cards - you just pay in advance however much you want to put on there to be able to use as a regular card!! WaLa - online shopping without a monthly bill!!!

I live in a remote area, so I rely mostly on shopping online for more variety. I use http://www.Joanns.com mostly and there is always yarn on sale. I just bought some of the LionBrand cotton - it comes in a 4oz skein, where the others come in 2oz skeins. Here's a link and :eek its on sale!! http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2842&PRODID=prd37603

Archived