Seraphina yarn ideas *and help/tips*

MimiFL

Hmm...you shouldn't be getting any bumps that I am aware of.......?????? Show a pic??

I started this shawl in Lustersheen a while back. Had a dickens of a time figuring it out- but I finally did. What great news that it can be posted here with the revisions and the graph!!:clap:clap

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The updated, clarified version of the Seraphina pattern has now been posted, along with Mimi's graph in this thread.

I would appreciate it if a few people would like to work through the revised instructions and let me know if you find any problems that I need to correct.

Thanks to Doni for giving us permission to host the revised pattern here!

Amy

Mine do the same, and I was thinking it's because of the yarn (I used Rainbow Boucle), but maybe it's just because I'm a fairly tight crocheter. Either way, it still looks great. :)

The updated, clarified version of the Seraphina pattern has now been posted, along with Mimi's graph in this thread.

I would appreciate it if a few people would like to work through the revised instructions and let me know if you find any problems that I need to correct.

Thanks to Doni for giving us permission to host the revised pattern here!

Amy

A HUGE thank you to Mimi and Amy for the hard work of getting ahold of Dorri, oh my heaven what a NICE change it will be, for real I would like to bet 90% of the Ville will work at least ONE Serafina now!!!!

Woooooooooooooottttttttttttttttt

JoAnn

I just finished my tablecloth and after blocking it, you can still see the bumps in the shells. Mimi may be right about the tension causing it - I'm a tight crocheter too.

For those of you who wanted to see the tablecloth, I'll post pics in the home decor show-and-tell as soon as I can get some. DH's camera isn't working, :( so I have to borrow a friends, but I should be able to get it up by the beginning of the week.:yes

Note: Repeat the four sequence rows from this point on, making sure to increase at the beginning of each row, on either side of the point, and at the end. Those are the ONLY 4 places you will increase. Once the shell sequence is completed, shells will ALWAYS have a shell in them, and the 3-dc ribs between shells will ALWAYS be 'dc in next 3 dc'. If you remember this, and always keep the increases in the right places, you will be able to make this shawl very easily. Notice that you are increasing in the ch-1 space at the beginning of the row, in the ch-1 space right before the point, in the ch-1 space right after the point, and in the ch-1 space at the end of the row. Between those points, you are making shell sequences and 3dc ribs. Those will not change.

The above quote is from the other thread.

I have a question: What constitutes an increase? Which stitch, or stitch sequence? I understand the note quoted above, but not sure what to do to make the increase. So far, I've completed 10 rows and I've just been following the pattern word for word.

Thanks!

Joan

The above quote is from the other thread.

I have a question: What constitutes an increase? Which stitch, or stitch sequence? I understand the note quoted above, but not sure what to do to make the increase. So far, I've completed 10 rows and I've just been following the pattern word for word.

Thanks!

Joan

Joan, the increase areas are the 4 places where you add a new shell every 5 rows. These areas are at both ends and on either side of the center shell.

I'm going to do this next part from memory, so please bear with me if it's not exactly correct.

You start with the section that is just a long stretch of dc stitches.

1. The next row you place a V-stitch (dc, ch 1, dc) in the middle of all those dcs. This V-stitch does not have ch-1 spaces on either side of it.

2. The next row that V-stitch increases to be (dc, ch 2, dc) and has ch-1 spaces on either side of it.

3. The next row that V-stitch increases to (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) and has ch-1 spaces on either side.

4. The next row that V-stitch increases to (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) and has ch-1 spaces on either side.

5. The next row that V-stitch will be a full shell: (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) and has ch-1 spaces on either side. On this row, you're also starting the beginning of another shell increase area.

Once you've separated out the V-stitch by adding the ch-1 space on either side of, you're also slowly separating out the remainder of your dc stitches into the ch-3.

Take a look at Mimi's chart, and it will be easier to see how those repeats are working.

Archived