Seraphina yarn ideas *and help/tips*

MimiFL

so alot of people have raved about the Joann Sensations Rainbow Boucle so i went down and bought some on friday - sat down yesterday afternoon to start my seraphina - and got so discusted with it i wanted to throw it out the window into a snow bank - i tried pulling the starting from the middle and nothing would come out so i tugged a little bit more and brought out about half the skein!:angry so i unwound all that mess and started crocheting - and needed to frog some of it and it ripped on me:angry:angry. i was not a happy camper at this point - i tried for a few more minutes and gave up - it is not the easist to frog! so i ran down to joanns and got a different one - the regular one - which is nice and soft and better to work with just not sure if i like the way its coming out:angry:angry:angry. so after dinner dh took me to michaels so i could get something different. i found some homespun that i liked but they only had 1 skein:angry:angry:angry:angry. so he drove me another 30 minutes to a different michaels and i got what i wanted but only three skeins for now - i will go get more when he is not with me:devil. i am kinda bummed cuz i would have liked to see how the Joann Sensations Rainbow Boucle colorway would have come out! but so far so good on the homespun - wish me luck! ( i got 12 rows done before bed last night)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so alot of people have raved about the Joann Sensations Rainbow Boucle so i went down and bought some on friday - sat down yesterday afternoon to start my seraphina - and got so discusted with it i wanted to throw it out the window into a snow bank - i tried pulling the starting from the middle and nothing would come out so i tugged a little bit more and brought out about half the skein!:angry so i unwound all that mess and started crocheting - and needed to frog some of it and it ripped on me:angry:angry. i was not a happy camper at this point - i tried for a few more minutes and gave up - it is not the easist to frog! so i ran down to joanns and got a different one - the regular one - which is nice and soft and better to work with just not sure if i like the way its coming out:angry:angry:angry. so after dinner dh took me to michaels so i could get something different. i found some homespun that i liked but they only had 1 skein:angry:angry:angry:angry. so he drove me another 30 minutes to a different michaels and i got what i wanted but only three skeins for now - i will go get more when he is not with me:devil. i am kinda bummed cuz i would have liked to see how the Joann Sensations Rainbow Boucle colorway would have come out! but so far so good on the homespun - wish me luck! ( i got 12 rows done before bed last night)

The Joann's Rainbow Boucle' is annoying to work with. I couldnt get it to work with the Seraphina (that was back before I could figure out the pattern, so I was probably more annoyed with the pattern than the yarn) I ended up making a shawl with the boucle' by just crocheting half of a granny square and making it bigger until it became shawl sized.

I tried to knit with the boucle' too, and that ended in tears and a tangle.

The Joann's Rainbow Boucle' is annoying to work with. I couldnt get it to work with the Seraphina (that was back before I could figure out the pattern, so I was probably more annoyed with the pattern than the yarn) I ended up making a shawl with the boucle' by just crocheting half of a granny square and making it bigger until it became shawl sized.

I tried to knit with the boucle' too, and that ended in tears and a tangle.

glad i am not the only one! i just saw one in a previous post and its the same color that i picked and its gorgous! i will have to find a good home for this yarn!

As I'm finishing my second one, I decided I wanted to know how big ya'll make yours? The pattern goes up to 62 rows. On my first one (TLC Essentials/J hook) it took 4 skeins, and I got 42 rows. The point in the back is nearly down to my knees, and the sides are longer than my arms.

My second one (Pound of Love/J hook) is on a second skein, and it is taking nearly 46 rows to have the same size as the first one.

Has anyone actually made it to 62 rounds? How far does the Rainbow sensations go?

Thanks!

I have a big skein of the Joann's Rainbow Boucle and I think i"ll tackle this Seraphina. What hook size have folks been using with the Rainbow Boucle? I don't mind a slightly lacy look, so would rather go larger than smaller.

Thanks!

Joan

right now - march 15 - joann's has the huge skeins of the sensations boucle for $5 each. i'm told it takes only one skein of that to make one of these shawls. i've seen several of them 'in person' and they are truly wonderful! i think the serafina shawl was designed JUST to set off the colors in the joann's sensation yarn. the designer, doni, sure did a good job with her design, but many people have had problems with interpreting the schematics that accompany her pattern.

Neither my shawl or tablecloth lay very flat, but I think after blocking and washing them, they'll be fine. Kindof like doilies - when you're stiching them it looks like they're hopeless, but after blocking them, they look great.:)

I'm very sorry, everyone, but I've had to remove the graph due to copyright issues. The graph is actually the entire pattern but only in graph form. Due to copyright law, we can't allow the graph to be distributed (via post, PM, or email) without the express written permission of the copyright holder (Doni).

I understand this is a particularly difficult situation, since so many people have trouble with this pattern and nobody has been able to make contact with Doni. However, those facts don't change the fact that the pattern is protected by copyright law.

Our forum guidelines do not permit the entire pattern to be posted here (whether in written or graph form) nor do they permit links to any other sites that may be distributing the entire pattern (with clarifications) without stating they have received permission from Doni to do so.

If anybody is ever able to make contact with Doni, please ask her to get in touch with me. I'd love for Crochetville to be able to host a version of the pattern with clarifications to make it easy for everyone to make this shawl. It really is beautiful!!! I made one for my SIL for Christmas, and now I need to make one for myself. :)

I can't say I agree with this decision. It's going to keep a lot of people from ever completing that beautiful shawl, and I can't imagine for a moment this is what Doni wanted. I'm quite saddened by the fact that if Doni can't be reached - as seems to be the case, everyone who can provide help will be forbidden from providing that help... forever. Just doesn't seem fair to me. :cry

For the record, I never claimed the pattern was mine, never made money from it, never sold the pattern or the shawl, and cited Doni's name and put in a link to her site.

I have to abide by the decision, but I don't agree with it. :no

I can't say I agree with this decision. It's going to keep a lot of people from ever completing that beautiful shawl, and I can't imagine for a moment this is what Doni wanted. I'm quite saddened by the fact that if Doni can't be reached - as seems to be the case, everyone who can provide help will be forbidden from providing that help... forever. Just doesn't seem fair to me. :cry

For the record, I never claimed the pattern was mine, never made money from it, never sold the pattern or the shawl, and cited Doni's name and put in a link to her site.

Mimi, I understand that you were giving full credit to Doni. Unfortunately, the way US copyright law is currently written, we can NOT legally distribute her pattern here without her permission. I agree; it doesn't seem fair. But that's the way the law is written, and that's what I have to follow.

But until I can actually get express written permission from Doni to have her pattern distributed here in graph form, I can't allow the graph to be posted or sent via PM or email.

I'm truly sorry about that!

Amy

It just sucks that you (Amy) are in such a difficult position with this. I really hope that someday you'll be able to post the pattern and the rewrites and help notes. That would be awesome.

What color of Homespun did you get? I love Homespun

What color of Homespun did you get? I love Homespun

i believe the color i got was mediteranian (sp?). the website said it was a green and tan color but when i picked it out it also had some orange throw in there. and green and orange are my friends favorite colors so..... i have finished it but have not posted it yet - waiting impatiently for my new computer to arrive before i post it. but it did come out beautiful even if i don't like the colors.

I dont think it will keep people from ever completing the shawl. If you really want to make it, you just keep trying. I finally figured out the pattern in december because I would occasionally try the pattern on some scrap yarn, and I finally had the Eureka! moment and figured it out. I'd been trying to figure out the pattern ever since it was first posted on the internet...

Once you understand where to do the increases, the pattern is amazingly simple...simple enough that you wonder why you had so much trouble with it in the first place. It's an easily memorized pattern too. (at least it was for me, and in the past year or two I've been developing memory problems from Multiple Sclerosis)

The only reason it's so difficult for people to do is because Doni, for some reason, has conflicting information on her pictures in the pattern that do not match the written out text of the pattern.

Why she wrote it out in such a confusing way, I dont understand..

Everyone, I have wonderful news to share, and it's all thanks to Mimi! Mimi was searching through Doni's site and found an alternate email address to the one on the Seraphina shawl page, and she was able to make contact with Doni. I've also been in contact with Doni, and she has given us permission to host her pattern here at Crochetville!!!!!

So if you all can bear with me for just a few days, I will be working on a brand-new thread to post the Seraphina shawl pattern here in its entirety.

I need to take some time to make sure I have all Doni's contact and copyright information correct, plus I'm going to make some minor revisions to make the written instructions a little clearer for people.

I will also be able to include Mimi's wonderful symbol crochet chart within the post (with Mimi's permission, of course!) as an additional visual aid for everyone.

Once I get that thread complete, I'll get is posted and put a link to it here in this thread for everyone.

Great job Mimi, that's wonderful! I have a feeling we are going to see alot more Seraphina's around here.

I just traded my skein of rainbow boucle in green for a skein if rainbow boucle in blue. I'm going to start on my 3rd Seraphina very soon! They're addicting!

Archived