Seraphina yarn ideas *and help/tips*

MimiFL

I've decided I need to try this pattern. One reason is I need to teach one of my students how to make it, so kind of have to know how to make it myself first! :P The other reason is, it'll be a perfect gift for a friend of mine who I know would love a shawl, and who happens to have a birthday coming up in March.

Anyway, I've tried the first few rows (5, I think), so I can't be sure I'll get through the entire thing, but I'm pretty sure I should be able to figure it out eventually (how's that for overconfidence?). :lol

Now I'm looking for some yarn. I would like something that 1) is very soft 2) drapes well 3) has subtle variegated hues 4) isn't 'special' like boucle or homespun - I like to see my stitches! I don't care if it's handwash. Oh and hopefully 5) hopefully won't have to break the bank to buy it, though I can afford to indulge a bit here. If I can't find any yarn that fits all those critera, I could go with a solid color instead of variegated.

Any recommendations? :yarn

The sample I'm doing now is with Bernat Cashmere, which is beautiful, but there's no variegated colors, and it's on the expensive side (only 150 yds a skein).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i was going to suggest homespun - but then i kept reading. but i did one in homespun and the colors were gorgous - so keep your options open. i also did one in patons grace but that was just a solid black! good luck - once you do one you will want to do more - they are as addicting as the round ripples

Well, I've looked at some of the previous ones people have made, and I do agree they look gorgeous in Homespun. Hmm. Now I don't know anymore! :scrachin

I am making one now that is dusty rose. I got 2 large balls of yarn when my Grandmother passed away last summer. i wasn't sure what I wanted to make with it, finally figured out this pattern and whew, I am very happy with what I have so far. The yarn is made in England, is a "courtelle acrylic" and says knits to any aran pattern. I am self-taught crocheter, and I have no idea what the difference in yarns means. I go by pattern\feel. Mostly feel, so this is my first "wearable" besides hats.

As far as the pattern, I found if you repeat from *to* backwards, this is a fantastic pattern. That is the easiest way to describe the ??? I had with the pattern.

Lesley

While at Joann's yesterday, I saw Bernat Worsted, which was very rough in the solids, but very soft in the variegateds (strangely). There were some really nice variegated colors in there. Anyone worked with this before? I'm wondering if it would work. It was on sale for $8 for an 11oz (I think) skein. Next to it was Bernat Softee Chunky which also looked (and felt) very good. Haven't worked with that one either.

So far, I've done 9 rows and haven't had any problems. I basically just follow the first part of the pattern, up to the center point, then just ignore the rest of the writing and repeat what I've done this far, but in reverse order. Occasionally, a stitch is missing in the instructions, but on doily instructions (which is what I usually work with), there are often mistakes like that, so I guess I'm used to adapting as I go. In any case, I'm trying to keep track of the changes I'm making, as best I can. When I start the real thing, I'll double check they're correct, in case I need to make this thing again (I do the same with doily patterns).

I made mine with TLC Amore. I got a great deal on it, $2.63 a skein. The shawl turned out so soft and draped very nicely.

I just looked at your Photobucket album, nice work! I was wondering if you could share where you found the pattern for the booties that look like ice skates...they are adorable, I would love to make those for my new Grandbaby-on-the-way.

Thanks,

Katie :crocheting

The About.com crochet forum has some tip posts for it. If you go there & do a search I think you could find them. I haven't made it myself yet, but I was thinking about the Joann Sensations Rainbow Boucle' which other people have used. The shawls are gorgeous & they have the 10 oz skeins back for around $8 or $9. I think you would only need one skein from what I hear, but again, there it is, a boucle' yarn....

Having finished a large size swatch of this, I thought I'd share some tips, in case they help (feel free to disregard if not):

1. All "shells" always have ch 1 before and after, except for the (dc, ch1, dc) ones.
  2. You can never have more than 6 dc in a row. After 6 dc, you have to split them with a (dc, ch1, dc) shell - which is the start of a new shell sequence.
  3. The number of dc on either side of the point is the same as that near the beginning and the end of the row.

I decided I wanted to try this, but the first one will simply be a test piece, with some easy yarn. I'll save the fancy stuff for later, when I've got a better idea of what I'm doing.

So far, I've gotten up to the first shell in round 10, but it is about my 4th start. I've deliberately ripped it out a couple of times, just to get a handle on it.

I also joined a crochetalong group in Yahoo and downloaded several helpful files folks have posted. Between the all the different interpretations, it is somehow making sense.

My first attempt is with some TLC that I had on hand, a reject from another pattern I was going to do and changed it. I started with an H hook, but ripped that out, and restarted using an I. I may rip it all out again and start over with J.

So far, it is making sense, but my eyes are getting crossed!

I'm in the process of doing mine with wool ease Blue heather a knitting ww . ( my mother had gotten 10 skeins to make something for me years ago and never go to it so I'm making something I want with it) . it is working up beautifully stopped counting rows when it got to the freeform stage and have used 7 skeins so far,( 3 oz 175 yards ea) the softness is wonderful and the light drape to it is great. am loving this piece with this yarn.

I just looked at your Photobucket album, nice work! I was wondering if you could share where you found the pattern for the booties that look like ice skates...they are adorable, I would love to make those for my new Grandbaby-on-the-way.

Thanks,

Katie :crocheting

Thank you. Thay are an old Annie's Attic pattern for Roller skates, I just designed the blade. Before I found that pattern I used a high top tennis shoe pattern. I know there are a couple of free patterns for that out there.:hook

Thank you. Thay are an old Annie's Attic pattern for Roller skates, I just designed the blade. Before I found that pattern I used a high top tennis shoe pattern. I know there are a couple of free patterns for that out there.:hook

Thank you! I found a pattern for tennis shoes, I may attempt to make them into ice skates. You really did a nice job on those, they are so cute.

Katie :manyheart

So many yarn choices! :rock

Thanks for the suggestions. It's going to be hard to pick just one. Maybe I'll have to make several shawls. :hook

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've started the real thing. I decided to go with Rainbow Boucle. It looks very pretty with the color gradients and all, but I hate working with the stuff. It think it's worse than Homespun. :tired

I can't see my stitches at all, so just go by touch, really. Though what really irks me is the unevenness of the yarn. I was doing well until I got to a part that was huge compared to the rest of the skein. Just a big blob of fluffy yarn right there in the middle of that skein - too big to hide. After that part, it became so thin that only the dark thread inside was visible, there was no 'yarn' to speak of around it. :blink I ended up having to cut the yarn and reattach. :angry

Good thing it's soft and I like the colors. I think my friend will love it, so I'm determined to finish it, whatever it takes. :sweat

I will be starting one of these today! This thread is very helpful. I am using Rainbow Sensations so I will see what I think of this stuff (first time to use it). I do love the gradient effect so I really want to use the yarn. I've used homespun before and didn't hate it as much as it sounds like some do. I'll keep you posted with my progress.

Wish me luck :manyheart

I made my first one out of Caron Simply Soft and an I hook. The smaller hook made it less "holey."

I'm making my second one now out of green Rainbow Boucle. Its a little hard for me to see the stitches with this yarn and I had to frog a little in the beginning to get the hang of it. It really helped that I had done the shawl once before in the simply soft.

I cant wait to see your finished project!! DO show pics!!!! I HATE Tje JoAnns Rainbow Bounce..working with it is a PAIN, the balls are too big , it ALWAYS gets tangled on me, and I end up working more to get the yarn fixed than on the project, just my honest opinion here...

I also have tried this shawl many times and I keep messing up. Where does the increase go? I got really far last on the last and held it up and my shawl was getting wider but not with a full point like everyone else's. I would love to try again for the tenth time. Any help would be great. Believe it or not I have been crocheting for a good while. Maybe I am just getting a brain freeze. Thanks,Nancy

I finished mine this morning. Rather, I ended it this morning. I was on my 4th skein of TLC essentials! And only 42 rows. I didn't think I had enough yarn for another round. But it reaches down almost to the back of my knees, and fits around me nicely. I will try to get a picture of it soon.

But before I even finished this one, I started another one as a prayer shawl for a friend. She's my crocheting buddy at church, and she's having a rough time lately. This one is a bright white Lion Brand Pound of Love. It is looking gorgeous!

Nannygoat,

The increases are at the beginning and the end of each row, where you put a dc in the ch-1 space. There's also an increase on either side of the point, where you also put a dc in the ch-1 space. Also, each shell sequence starts out small and gets bigger until it reaches (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc), at which point it continues this way until the end. Hopefully the graph in post #12 can help a bit. :)

I've had to put my Seraphina to the side for now while I finish a few other pressing projects (mostly for class at the moment). I hope to get back to it soon.

Archived