How do you wrap the yarn around your hand?

Across palm and up between pointer and thumb, wrap around pointer and go down between pointer and middle finger and over to work.

Middle finger and thumb holds work, pinky and ring finger direct thread flow, and pointer controls tension, waving in the air like a swaying plant, :lol. I never thought about it, my hands just know what to do...Grandma taught me to do it this way.

Aggie, I did notice how you hold the hook like a pencil, and the pinky in the air. That was considered the proper way for a lady to hold the hook, as it made her hands look more delicate and feminine. Combined with the thread wrap on the left hand, your hands work a lot closer together. I hold like a knife with my right hand pinky and ring finger applying pressure and direction for the hook. Therefore I have a bigger gap between both hands.

So interesting to see and read all the different methods used.

• 4 years later...

On my left hand, I wrap the yarn once round my pinky, then hold it under my third finger and pass it over the top of my middle and forefingers. It took me a while to work out how to co it and when I started with my first practice squares I just kind of hooked my fingers (middle to pinky) round the yarn which gave me cramps in my hand because it was all clawed up. Now I don't get cramps and can crochet for longer periods, which is GREAT!!! :)

Across palm and up between pointer and thumb, wrap around pointer and go down between pointer and middle finger and over to work.

Middle finger and thumb holds work, pinky and ring finger direct thread flow, and pointer controls tension, waving in the air like a swaying plant, :lol. I never thought about it, my hands just know what to do...Grandma taught me to do it this way.

Ok I hold it exactly like this except I wrap it around my pinky, and the yarn rest on top of my fingers. Sometimes I'll switch it up and have it on the palm side. That's how I was taught.

I wish that video was still up of Aggie Mae because I'd like to see how she holds it. My tension tends to be pretty tight and that's the way I like it but after a while I get a nice little (and sorta painful) groove on my index finger were the yarn has been moving.

Does that happen to anyone else? It is the thing that slows me down and annoys me the most! In fact, when I was in a hurry with an afgan, I wrapped tape around that part of my index finger so it wouldn't happen so fast. That seemed to work actually. :)

Ok I hold it exactly like this except I wrap it around my pinky, and the yarn rest on top of my fingers. Sometimes I'll switch it up and have it on the palm side. That's how I was taught.

Does that happen to anyone else? It is the thing that slows me down and annoys me the most! In fact, when I was in a hurry with an afgan, I wrapped tape around that part of my index finger so it wouldn't happen so fast. That seemed to work actually. :)

:lol, my index finger is twisted somewhat at the top joint from being pulled by the yarn all the time. My rheumotologist was amazed at it....

Interesting topic, I havent really thought about how I hold my yarn before. I had to do as some of the other posters and pick up the yarn and see how I actually hold it!

Left hand holding yarn: thumb on front of project, index finger on back of project just below the stitch im working on. Yarn goes over the index finger and under the rest of my fingers. Ring finger and pinky finger control tension. Middle finger seems to keep going to the back of the previous stitch to help hold the project in place. I seem to guide the hook with that same middle finger as it's catching the yarn.

Archived