How do you wrap the yarn around your hand?

:cheerI start off with the yarn over my little finger on the left hand but it soon falls of and ends up just between the fingers.

It doesnt take too much tension to hold it there.

Wrapping the yarn around your fingers becomes too awkward and does not let it flow as you need it.

I use my middle finger like a tension spring and keep my thumb and index finger together.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I hold my tension the way my Grandmother taught me. I pass it over my pointer finger and use my ring finger against my palm as the tension spring. If I need it tighter I just lift my finger, if I need it looser I just lower my finger.

I actually had to sit here and look at how I hold my yarn in my left hand. I've been doing it so long (which is nothing compared to our C'ville Rescuer) . I never did get the hang of looping it around my pinky. It just feels really awkward to me.

It goes around my little finger and under my palm and over my index finger. I can control it very well that way. It's how it felt most comfortable to me when I was teaching myself. Some wind it under or over every finger, though.

RoseRed, I also had to physically pick up some yarn and look at exactly how I hold it. :lol I also do the same as you. I tried to do the 'wrap' around the finger thing, but it just never felt comfortable.

saranicole01 I don't really believe there is a 'right' way or a 'wrong' way. Do whatever is most comfortable for you. As far as speed, that varies from person to person also. Sometimes I can get moving fairly quickly, other times, I just mosey along. I guess it's what frame of mind I am in.

The yarn just goes over my index finger and across my palm. I also had to check out how I hold it! I am not a fast crocheter either, compared to some, and I have been doing it for a long time.

:hookHere is a link to a little video I made to show how I hold my hook but it does give a wee glipmse at how I hold the yarn in my left hand.

You need to excuse the intro on the vid because my husband though he would be creative and start off with my pots but didnt notice he chose the ones with weeds.

The grass is now almost all gone because we are in the middle of a very hot summer and the weeds are no longer in the pots.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/?action=view&current=Swimmingsocceretc.flv

I hope this is helpful to you because I have been crocheting for almost 60 years and I can still crochet for long periods without getting sore hands.

I only have trouble with my hands when I try to use thick yarn and a large hook.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

If you ask a dozen crocheters, you'll get a dozen different answers!

I do wrap around my pinkie, and over my ring finger, under the middle finger, and over the index finger. I hold my work between my middle finger and thumb. Sometimes the yarn slips off my pinkie, especially if the skein of yarn is to my right, or in front of me. I sorta balance the tension by movements of ALL the fingers!

No wonder my left hand gets tired before my right hand does!

Wow Colleen your hands look so young for someone who says she has been crocheting for 60 years! You crochet so fast as well! Great video. :)

Hook in right hand and yarn in left: Around the little finger, over the ring finger, under the middle finger, and over the index finger. I hold the work with thumb and index finger. Like Adagio said, I use all my fingers on left hand, but actually my right hand gets tired first because it just holds one position.

It goes around my little finger and under my palm and over my index finger. I can control it very well that way. It's how it felt most comfortable to me when I was teaching myself. Some wind it under or over every finger, though.

I hold mine exactly the same way!;)

I'm a lefty, so it would be backwards for everyone else..

from the ball... across the back of my pinky and then across my palm, up between pointer and index and across the back of the pointer. while working, the work is held between index and thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't wrap my yarn at all with the left hand - just hold it in my palm with my little finger pressing on it to give me tension control. My right hand is working the same as Aggie May with my middle finger controling the movement of the hook - it's really interesting watching the video Aggie May as it's so similar! :)

Okay, I am a crochet sinner. LOL. I wrap it around my index finger. It is just easier for me to bend my finger and let it slide off as needed. And rewrap. I have it down to an art. LOL. I never felt comfortable with it just resting anywhere on my hand. Must be the control freak coming out in me again. LOL.

I hold my tension the way my Grandmother taught me. I pass it over my pointer finger and use my ring finger against my palm as the tension spring. If I need it tighter I just lift my finger, if I need it looser I just lower my finger.

I do it this way, too. I've tried the pinky wrap thing, but I never feel like I have enough control of the tension. It either ends up too loose or too tight.

interesting. i've read all of the posts and i seem to be the only one so far who wraps around the pinky, over the back of the fingers and down between the index and thumb. my index is usually flying around in the air somewhere controlling the tension and the work is being held with middle and thumb. i think i'm going to try aggie may's (hope i spelt that right working from memory) way in the video.

interesting. i've read all of the posts and i seem to be the only one so far who wraps around the pinky, over the back of the fingers and down between the index and thumb. my index is usually flying around in the air somewhere controlling the tension and the work is being held with middle and thumb. i think i'm going to try aggie may's (hope i spelt that right working from memory) way in the video.

Hmmm... that sounds alot like how I hold my yarn/thread.

Cheers,

Archived