Questions... :) Please answer for me.

TheLadyWind

What exactly is blending filament? What do you use it for?

Does anyone have a good website that explains blocking really well? (Both for thread designs and yarn)

Much appreciated. Thank you!

Blending filament is a fine thread normally used in cross stitch or embroidery. You will find it near the embroidry thread at the craft stores. It is normally a shiny thread that adds color and sparkle. I have used it held together with my thread to highlight a color or add sparkle.

Not sure where there is a site for good blocking instructions. There are lots of ways to block

For thread pieces I wash in warm water to remove any body oils from me crocheting the piece. (Will make the thread last longer that way. )lay it on a towel and roll up, squeeze the excess moisture out of it. Don't wring it out as you can damage the fibers that way. Then I pin it out using rust proof pins on a piece of foam core board or a doily board. If you so desire you can spray it with spray starch at that point. let dry thoroughly and remove the pins. I like to stretch mine out fairly tight. Don't be skimpy on the pins. I pin all my picots and shape my curves the way I want them to lay.

Yarn I don't use all that often so I can't give you advice on that.

Hope this helps a bit.

Actually yes, that helped me a lot...Thank you Kathy! :) I was going over the pattern for Emerald Song and it mentioned blending filaments...I have been noticing it a lot and I couldn't find any information about it online LOL....Thank you very much!

...I am going to have to get some pins and a board then...I am a bit afraid to wash/starch my doilies...I keep thinking I am going to ruin them...or turn them white with the starch (I picture the starch for cooking when I think of how it will look starched...not the one for clothes--which I don't use that much)

Thank you again!

Actually yes, that helped me a lot...Thank you Kathy! :) I was going over the pattern for Emerald Song and it mentioned blending filaments...I have been noticing it a lot and I couldn't find any information about it online LOL....Thank you very much!

...I am going to have to get some pins and a board then...I am a bit afraid to wash/starch my doilies...I keep thinking I am going to ruin them...or turn them white with the starch (I picture the starch for cooking when I think of how it will look starched...not the one for clothes--which I don't use that much)

Thank you again!

You are welcome and I have never had the spray starch change my colors on my thread. It will only stiffen them lightly. If you really want them stiff, stiff you will have to use something else. But I don't like a frisbee doily. I only use spray starch occasionally and I never do them with a stifferner.

When I block my doilies I put a sheet on the floor and pin them down to the rug. This has worked for me all these years for the bigger things. The smaller ones I just press till dry on a folded up sheet on the kitchen counter after I hand shape them. I don't use startch on any of them. I like them soft I guess is the word.

Marcia

I block mine by putting my doily on a towel on a flattened cardboard box then pinning into that.. that way I can move it out of the way before it is dried if need be.

Scenna

Archived