Market or Shopping Bags

I work part time in a grocery store, and we SELL bags to take your groceries home in. A lot of stores are selling these bags now, so people don't have to create more waste or litter. I think it's an awesome idea, but I also think it's an awesome idea to MAKE my bags, because I have the ability. I've started making my Market bags, and I love it. Does anybody else do this?

Blessed Be

I have some of both...purchased bags, and homemade --both fabric and a couple "string" bags...I love em...and I read on the tag of the ones from walmart that they were made using approximately 4 2-litre popbottles. (ie post-consumer recycle) even better!!

So far I have 6 of the recently available store bought bags, and I have at least that many homemade...the trick is getting them all (or almost all) into the van before the next grocery run! Especially when I go to Aldi.. Otherwise I bring 5/6, and run out. :P

I used to use store bought ones all the time. Have made a few over the years as well. My biggest problem is the fact that they don't make it back into my car. I know, I know, what I really should to is empty them and then put them in front of the door so the next time I leave I have to take them with me. Unfortunately, doesn't always work that way.... :sigh

(That and I use the plastic bags from the store as trash bags....)

A few of my store bought bags contain WIP--and a few went home with leftovers and Christmas gifts (strange that they haven't found their way back yet). The other night I took some to COSTCO for the first time and loved using them. The checkout clerk said that more and more folks are bringing them in. Our Costco also now sells their bags with big LOGO on them but to me, they are too big and would get to heavy if fully loaded. I too made a few mesh bags but do not use those as often.

You're giving me ideas now. I have some heavy crochet thread I haven't used because I'm really not good at thread crochet. I'll bet I could use multiple strands with a hook I'm used to and make a very sturdy shopping bag or 2. I'm going to try it!

• 1 year later...

yeppers~!

I have 12 and several string bags, which I use for fruits/veggie's...

Long, long time ago....the Safeway store was the first to have their own shopping bags

and actually sold the string bags too. But as time went by, many stores are selling them today and I decided to make my own to replace the overly worn-out ones. The store-bought ones, are flimsy, too short and made out of lousy material.

I have a difficult time getting cashiers in other stores to understand the "purpose" of the string bags...I've caught some trying to put can goods in them. Good grief, Charlie Brown~!

~Annie

@>--,---

• 2 weeks later...

I don't make them. Why take all that time when they are only .99 cents? It's just not worth it to me. Since I take the bus a lot I also have a backpack for the heavy items.

I've bought some and made some, but I ended up using them for other things. Walmart use to have big ones that worked great for WIPs, especially afghans. Their blue 50cent ones aren't as big and the black ones dont' seem as big either, but they will work. I even bought one just to store my yarn in.

I had some in my trunk, but then I would forget to bring them in. I just read an article that one store in my area put up signs in the parking to remind them to bring them into the store. :lol. Of course the walmart market (just a small grocery story) the self serv cash register machine gives you an error if you try to use your own bags, "alien object in bagging area" or something like that :P.

I reuse plastic bags too. Mostly for garbage bags. I found a ton and thought of taking them to the store, but I would like to crochet a bag out of them (free yarn:clap).

Debbi

I have both but I use my handmade ones more only cause they are a bit bigger than the store bags and have a little extra padding in them.

I also use the plastic bags though I use them to clean the kitty boxes with

• 9 months later...

I've made many cloth bags for groceries and recently finished a small string bag which I am keeping in my purse for small objects or when I have forgotten to take a cloth bag inside with me. So far there is not a string bag pattern I am totally satisfied with.

I've sort of started my own pattern but it's not done yet for me to decide if I like it that much. Odd because I know the kind of bag I would like to have but haven't achieved it yet.

I have ones that I have made and store bought ones but also often forget to put them back in my car :(

I re-use the plastic bags for when I walk the dogs, if you get what I mean :dog

Archived