What to do?

springiscoming

Help!

I was just sent a package of size 30 hand-painted mercerized cotton yarn. There are two colors a rose/pink combo and a blue/purple combo -each one is 400 yards. Very pretty... I've never worked with this size yarn before and have no idea what to do with it. I've been studying all your entries but am still confused. Can someone point me in the right direction of patterns or ideas for size 30 yarn???

Both colors sound like they would make beautiful doilies! I am just now making my first doily with a thread that is somewhere between a 20 and a 30. It's my first time using anything smaller than a #10 and at first I was petrified, but now I'm having a great time working with it! It just takes a little practice to get used to working with the fine thread. Why not try it? If you have to frog it a few times, so what? Be brave! Give it a try! I'm willing to bet that in a short while you will be addicted to thread like me. :)

Elle

Both colors sound like they would make beautiful doilies! I am just now making my first doily with a thread that is somewhere between a 20 and a 30. It's my first time using anything smaller than a #10 and at first I was petrified, but now I'm having a great time working with it! It just takes a little practice to get used to working with the fine thread. Why not try it? If you have to frog it a few times, so what? Be brave! Give it a try! I'm willing to bet that in a short while you will be addicted to thread like me. :)

Elle

Elle - I would like to try a doily or a coaster ( I saw some beautifull ones in another post - what size crochet hook would I use with this size 30 yarn ( feels more like thread)?

Krakovianka - I'd love to see what pattern you are using..

Ummm...that would be a problem. I did not use a pattern. Most of my purses are pretty generic purse-shapes (rectangles), and so I don't use a pattern, just make it up. I' used a size 2 steel hook for the two strands of size 10 thread. All the crocheting is done. I'm down to the nitty-gritty stuff like sewing in a zipper, attaching the handle, and lining. Groan. Good thing this is my "spring" purse and I'm not in a hurry to use it!

I'll definitely post pictures when I'm done!

However, while I was playing around with ideas for this, before I started, I used a strand of variegated with a strand of matching solid for a swatch, and I *loved* the way it looked. I may try one like that some time in the future.

Elle - I would like to try a doily or a coaster ( I saw some beautifull ones in another post - what size crochet hook would I use with this size 30 yarn ( feels more like thread)?

Because I'm still relatively new to thread, I still haven't tried using the really microscopic hooks yet. I stick with my size 7 and have been working with that pretty much no matter what size thread I'm using. Of course, I haven't tried anything smaller than between a 20 and a 30, but right now I'm working on a wheat doily with a rayon thread that is between a 20 and a 30 and I'm using the size 7, and it's coming out really nicely! The size 7 is small, but it's still large enough that your eyes won't fall out trying to see your stitches.

Katchkan, Krakovianka, The Shrone or Threadlover would be better qualified to talk with you on the smaller hook sizes. There is NOTHING that those ladies can't do with thread! They are my idols! :manyheart

Elle

Archived