Ethans' Snake

Mom w/a Motif

I haven't posted a picture in a while, so I thought I would post this one... It's a snake I made for "Boxes for Brendan", but it's for Brendans' little brother, Ethan. I think it turned out cute. (I hope I'm not doing anything against the rules by posting this in two places?) :think My eight year old wants me to make him a Coral Snake now. :lol Tina

PDRM0002.jpg

That is adorable! What did you stuff it with?? My younger boys would love that.

I'm thinking that would make a cool door draft stopper if you filled it with the right thing - not sure what though cause most stuff would come out the holes ...

You could put some popcorn kernels in a pantyhose leg tie it off and stuff inside the snake.

I'm thinking that would make a cool door draft stopper if you filled it with the right thing - not sure what though cause most stuff would come out the holes ...

It actually IS a door/ draft stopper- Julie from Yarngirl had the pattern on her site. You stuff it with beans, but I stuffed it with fiberfill for a toy. CraftyChristine, I just carried three different yarns for the striped effect. I already have black, red and white out to make a Coral snake for one of our boys. I'm sure I will have to make at least two more snakes, for our boys. :P

Tina

Very cool! I have wondered how to stuff shaped crocheted things. I made a teddy bear once and the fiberfill just seemed to pouf out here and there... but I like the idea of stuffing a pantyhose leg with fiberfill and then slipping that into the crochet snake. Clever idea! What kind of yarn did you use for the snake?

And I love the idea of doing color patterns that look like real snakes--how fun!

:book Raquel

A coral snake....cool! There's a saying that goes with a coral snake....

"If red touches black, he's a friendly jack. If red touches yellow, he's a dangerous fellow!" In South Florida we have to teach our kids this rule early because there are coral snakes here and they are 'dangerous fellows'.

It actually IS a door/ draft stopper- Julie from Yarngirl had the pattern on her site. You stuff it with beans, but I stuffed it with fiberfill for a toy. CraftyChristine, I just carried three different yarns for the striped effect. I already have black, red and white out to make a Coral snake for one of our boys. I'm sure I will have to make at least two more snakes, for our boys. :P

Tina

No, no, Tina....a coral snake is red, yellow & black! Be sure to follow my rule above....red must touch yellow to be a dangerous fellow....a coral snake!

It actually IS a door/ draft stopper- Julie from Yarngirl had the pattern on her site. You stuff it with beans, but I stuffed it with fiberfill for a toy. :P

Tina

Tina it's adorable! :D

Here is the link to the pattern. It's not my pattern, I saw that Ro (yarnicopia) had found the pattern and done one last year for her son I think and I loved it. I'm glad that Brendan and Ethan are both getting one! :clap

No, no, Tina....a coral snake is red, yellow & black! Be sure to follow my rule above....red must touch yellow to be a dangerous fellow....a coral snake!

Oh- I better get it right before I make it, eh? I looked it up online and it looked like red, black and white. I'll have to print out a picture, too, so I can get the stripes right.:) I think the one I made Ethan looks kind of like a timber rattlesnake. :)

Tina

Oh- I better get it right before I make it, eh? I looked it up online and it looked like red, black and white. I'll have to print out a picture, too, so I can get the stripes right.:) I think the one I made Ethan looks kind of like a timber rattlesnake. :)

Tina

Here's a great pic of a coral snake and the correct position of the colors:

Coral Snake

Closeup

Jody- I am not sure how much yarn I used, I had three skeins of Wool-Ease (somewhat used up, so not a full skein), and I still have some left of each. If I were you, I would just crochet until you are almost done, and finish up the tail.

Diamond- Thank you for the link to the Coral Snake! Just so you know I'm not crazy, I am going to (try) put a link to the one I saw, it was white, black and red! (But I always thought Coral snakes were like the one you showed me in the link! Weird....) Here's the link:http://www.aolsvc.worldbook.aol.com/wb/Article?id=ar133360&sc=-1 I hope that works. I guess that's a South American Coral Snake. You can click on the picture icon to go to a bigger picture, I think..

Tina

I love that snake pattern! You did a great job on it! I've been thinking about making one for my nephew, and I guess I'll have to get started on it seeing how cute everyones are turning out!!

Archived