Anyone hear of this before?

If I get my hair into the blanket I am making I snap off the long length sticking out and then think "hey a piece of me has gone into it".

My hair is so long I shed like a dog. I have dark hair at the moment (I dye my hair) if you can`t see it then I tend to leave it. If it was a light coloured blanket then I would have to rip it out.

I realised my hair may be too long the other day while driving. I had jumped into the car and set off at the first junction I went to look left and ripped a load of hair out making me squeel and my mate jump. I had trapped a chunk of hair in the door as I had gotten in.

I will now have an excuse if anyone notices the hair that got in the blanket. I am making a huge blanket for my mom and several shades of brown hair have gone into it. I am using dark colours but may tell her now that it is a blessing to have your daughters hair woven into the crocheting. Thanks for officialy letting us know it is good to have hair in ones work.

I have always thought that if anything I made anyone was at the scene of a crime then there would be plenty of my DNA on the scene...lol.

:eekOh my goodness I never thought of that. Over the years thinking about the amount of hair that has made its way into projects. oooh I hope there isn`t a crime scene where my hair is found. They will know its me as they will have about 4 different shades of colour and split ends. I am now thinking twice about the hair idea lol.

Thinking about who gets the works of my fingers: close family: my dna/fingerprints would be around there anyway, so no worry if it winds up in something I made for 'em. Friends, same thing.

Also, seems to me they're going to be more interested in hair sitting ON the item, rather intertwined IN it. We shed so much hair anyway, and there's no telling where its going to wind up!

Secret Stasher: I used to have hair down to mid-thigh length, and my fallen hair was EVERYWHERE! It was almost impossible to crochet something without my hair in it somewhere! I keep my hair much shorter now, so it isn't near the problem it used to be.

Wow, mid-thigh! I bet it was gorgeous! I used to be able to have waist-length...but now it would be full of split ends and yuckiness...so it's just below my shoulders, or so. (by my shoulderblades?) yep, I shed all over the house. It's crazy...

And I have caught my hair in the door before...oowwwwchie. fortunately so far, it's only been say 10 strands or so at a time. :P

These are very old superstitions. A Mother would throw dirt behind her children and husband (without their knowing) to ensure a safe return, as they left. You would place a piece of yourself in every thing you did for luck. You would not let anything you made be 100 % perfect, (lest you draw the envy of the Creator). These are things that were passed to me growing up. Not many people believe in superstitions any more. :)

Momcrochets: Although mid-thigh length, it was about 2/3s split ends!

AutumnWindsong: I think 'we' still have superstitions, just different ones, and a lot of the time, I think they're not acknowledged.

My hair gets into everything I make. If it looks bad, I try to remove it, but my hair is so fine, and I stitch so tightly, that it usually breaks.

I went to a museum in Gettysburg, PA that had a display of items made completely from hair. The most beautiful and intricate needlework I've ever seen. Tiny flowers, huge wreaths. All used different shades of hair (I assume women gathered in groups, like a quilting bee) to attain gradations of color and contrast. It was very humbling to see the quality of work that could be made without the ready availability of supplies that we enjoy now.

I have heard of hair included in the same manner that you would use thread to reinforce a toe or heel on a sock. Hair is really very strong when worked in with other fibers.

Archived