Has anyone used this hook?

Sonny321

honestly.. the only thing that looks amazing to me about that needle is that it has a hole in the end of it so you could use it to sew up something .. i cant quite figure how they "knit" with one needle unless you are going to be doing some sort of tunisian type thing.. frankly i would spend my money at www.turnofthecentruy.com

his needles are very nice and i am sure you could ask him to drill a hole in the end of it as well if that is what you wanted.. i think you would get something better.. that is just me though .. i am a big cynic.. its like building a better mouse trap.. it just doesnt look special to me

• 7 months later...

Honestly, for $11.95 I think I could take out my ol' plastic set of hooks I bought for about $3 each, my husband's drill and make my own!!!

But why? lol I have a needle, I have hooks, are we that lazy that we have to "come up" with things like this? lol JUST MY OPINION though!

Donna

I don't get it, either! And I don't see how you can knit with it. And wouldn't the hook be rather big to sew with? When I weave in ends, I usually use a smaller hook than what the piece was made with or with a weaving needle and to join I use the same hook. I just don't see the purpose of something like this except a way for someone to take my money.

The Amazing Needle is a crochet hook with a hole in the handle. It comes with 2 leather cords and 2 clips used to keep stitches on the cord. To crochet with one works like a regular crochet hook without the cord or an afghan hook with one cord.

To knit with one you use both cords, the stitches are held on one cord and worked off with the hook threaded with the other cord. As you work the stitches off they are accumulated on the cord threaded through the hook. When you finish a row you have stitches on both cords. You then turn the work, slide one cord out of the stitches, thread it through the hole in the hook handle and start the next row. It really is knitting - you just use a hook.

The Amazing Needle comes in the standard sizing: Sizes B - J, I think. I should go look it up but I'm too lazy. Anyway, when you order a hook you will be asked if you want the instruction book for knit, crochet or tatting. I only found the tatting and knit ones to be helpful since the crochet uses it just like a crochet hook (yes I ordered all three - I have no will power:D ).

Hope this helps, if not I'll try again.

• 2 weeks later...

It could be a help if you were going traveling - it doesant take up as much space as 2 knitting needles, a hook and a sewing needle. Hmmmmm I think I still prefer my hook and needles!

• 3 weeks later...

I just happen to find this board, and I'm glad I did. I have that hook, in steel in a size G or H. It was my grandmothers, and she used it to make rugs. It was left to my mother, and when she died 3 years ago, I got it. I didn't know what it was or how to use it. I just use it as a crochet hook. I may try to get some of the books and see if I can knit or tat with it.

Thanks I now know what it is.

nettiea

Looks a little odd to me... also odd how you have to *buy* the books to learn how to use it properly. :blink

(I realize it comes with *a* book, but the point is that the thing can multi-task, right?)

• 3 weeks later...

I've never used this, but have noticed that the CGOA conference usually includes a class in its use.

http://www.crochet.org/2001conf/class.html

Bella comments on it here:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art26186.asp

Just looking at it, it kind of does look like you could drill a hole in a plastic hook you might already own.

I was unable to find any free patterns on the web to take a closer look and I don't recall that any of my crochet subscriptions have published patterns for it.

The only other pattern I know of except for the one's on the Amazing Needle web site is in the book "Top Technique & Special Stitch Afghans in Crochet" .

The patterns combine knit and crochet; knit and tat; or knit and crochet and tat.

Other than that you use any knit pattern you like or any tat pattern you like. For straight crochet I prefer another type of needle. :devil

• 4 months later...
I'm a newbie here and found your post while getting familiar with the site. If you are still interested in this let me know.

Hi Hooklady

I'm Jimbo..and I've been making hand carved hooks for a spell now and just found out about Tunisian Crochet (not that i understand it, mind you) but see that it makes use of special hooks. I've failed to find specific Tunisian hooks, but have found "cable" hooks (the ones with a strand of flexible cord attached to the handle end) and wonder about the history, especially what they used before the invention of weed-eater cord. Leather thong? I'd like to make one. Also, does the stich stop come off so you can slide the work off the cable. (i'm sure by now you know i'm not a crochetier... i admire what all those folks can do but my passion is wood). Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

regards

Jimbo

(you can see some of my hooks under my intro title Howdie from NE Washington State).

I have done Tunisian crochet and another form of it called Crochetknit, crochet on the double or as we call it here double ended crochet and quite frankly it is the same from what i saw on the photos. Its just another way to market the same thing. You have your cast on rows and cast off rows and you can make it look like knitting or crochet or a hybrid of the two. I am self taught and have managed over the years to get very few patterns until recently ,they were extremly hard to get in Australia.Those are only interesting to me in that i never thought of making socks with them. Its a very enjoyable and quick form of crochet though. I won't be purchasing that hook or the patterns myself.

Guest Crafterlady46

I just dont know.... :think I am speechless :eek All those different things from one hook? Might be worth looking into. No I haven't used one.

Here's one person's experience with it:

http://www.medidit.com/instrct/knt.htm

(You'll probably get lost in other parts of her site. Very interesting site)

While surfing the other day I ran across this webpage advertizing "The Amazing Needle"

Has anyone used this needle? I'm really curious about it but hoped to get a few oppinions before I dropped the money on it.

Found at the following websites:

www.amazingyarn.com/Pages/amneedle.html

www.iseespots.com/merchan..._Code=ama1

Hi Hooklady

I'm Jimbo..and I've been making hand carved hooks for a spell now and just found out about Tunisian Crochet (not that i understand it, mind you) but see that it makes use of special hooks. I've failed to find specific Tunisian hooks, but have found "cable" hooks (the ones with a strand of flexible cord attached to the handle end) and wonder about the history, especially what they used before the invention of weed-eater cord. Leather thong? I'd like to make one. Also, does the stich stop come off so you can slide the work off the cable. (i'm sure by now you know i'm not a crochetier... i admire what all those folks can do but my passion is wood). Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

regards

Jimbo

(you can see some of my hooks under my intro title Howdie from NE Washington State).

Hi Jimbo,

I saw your hooks ... they are great keep up the good work:cheer . Tunisian/afgan hooks have been in use for some time. They are just like crochet hooks except they are longer 9" - 14" are typical sizes and have something on the non-hook end to prevent the stitches from falling off the hook.

In the 1960's through 80's women wanted to be able to hold more hooks so the manufacturers added the cord to the hooks similar to the cord on circular knitting needles so you could do more stitches. See a sample at http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/crochet/stitch_pages/cro_afghanstitch.html

Also, in the 1980's Boye re-introduced crochet on the double which is similar to tunisan but the hook has hooks at both ends. See sample at

http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/crochetonthedouble/stitch_pages/cotd_scloop.html .

Hope this helps.

Emily

• 4 years later...

I know this is a really old post, but I thought I would reply. The Amazing Needle really knits. It’s not Tunisian or Slip Stitches, but real honest to goodness knit stitches. You can see my “Knitted C Cloth” project on Ravelry as an example. I knitted it from a regular knit pattern I found on Ravelry.

When you use the AN you make actual knit stitches. It is more like crocheting when making a project, working just one stitch at a time. However, the worked stitches slide over your hook and down onto the cord that’s attached to the end of your hook. The cord acts like the second needle.

Once I got my tension worked out, the knitted washcloth was really pretty easy. Well…except that I don’t understand knitted terms yet, but I’m hoping that AN users will come up with a translation/encyclopedia of some type, that will help us turn knit terms into AN actions. KWIM? Knit and purl is pretty easy, but I don’t know how to do anything else.

That washcloth is the only project I’ve made so far because there really aren’t any good videos or instructions on how to use the AN. The instructions that come with the ANs are “okay.” Videos would be AWESOME.

What I really want to learn is how to use the AN in the round, like a hat with the ultimate goal of making socks. I have the sock pattern for using the ANs, but right now working on something in the round that small is beyond my skill. As far as I know there isn’t a AN hat pattern, but it would make a great tutorial if there was one.

I think this is a wonderful technique that could really use a LOT more exposure. (And videos! lol…)

If you want to give the technique a try without investing in the needles, you can purchase a Locker Hook, and some light weight jewelry cording. I found my locker hook at Hobby Lobby, but I had to experiment a little bit to find cording that worked. It needs to be smooth…kinda like leather necklace thong.

The locker hook is about a sized G hook, with a needle type eye at the end. In reality the eye really shouldn’t be larger than the diameter of the hook, but it’s a cheap way to experiment with the technique.

• 1 month later...

I saw a video for this hook on you tube the other day and for the life of me I can't find it again to post it. The string in the hole is doing the afghan stitch. you run your stiches onto it as you work and pull it through each row. I'm sorry I can't find the video.

Archived