Cleaning & Blocking a Baby Afghan

CrossB4Me

Question

Well, the afghan is finally done (Hooray!), but it isn't shaped quite right. A little pulled looking and the crocheted ruffle around the edges doesn't lay quite right. I am thinking it needs cleaned and blocked, but I haven't done this before. I've got an idea about what to do from searching online, but before I jump into anything I'd like to get advice from you experienced ladies that I trust. What is the best way to clean and block a baby afghan made with baby-soft Bernat yarn? Thank you so much for your input!!

Patty

3 answers to this question

As long as it's acrylic I throw mine in the washer and dryer. You could wash it (on gentle with Woolite if you like) to remove the sizing (that's the stuff that makes the yarn a little stiff) and lay it out flat to dry to block.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas here.

Thank you for your suggestions, Rosered. I washed the afghan on the gentle cycle and laid it out on the floor on towels to dry. I smoothed it out and fluffed up the ruffles and it dried beautifully. I couldn't believe it was that simple to really "shape it up!" Thank you again for giving me the confidence to put a great finishing touch on this project!!

Patty

Archived