A New Challenge

BleenEyes

Hi everyone.

I thought I would share with you all my latest challenge. This will be an on-going project which , if is good enough, I may release as a full pattern. As implied, this is my own design and I hope that you will enjoy this as much as I have so far in making it.

"But what is it?" I hear you ask. Well, my personal challenge is to knit an entire chess set including board. I have only my imagination to go on and my own experience of the game.

So here, for your praise or criticism, is the first piece finished and finalised - the much undervalued Pawn.

Pawn_evo1-full;init:.jpg

The Evolution of a Pawn

From left to right :

1 - my first attempt. Just something simple as an idea but was way out of shape and too small for what I had in mind.

2 - this had more height and a bigger head but i didnt like the shape of it.

3 - much better shaping to head and body but still not happy

4 - toyed with adding a neck and sealing the bottom. this didnt look right and made it unstable so as to fall over often.

5 - the finished design! very happy with shaping and it is quite good at standing up. Is about the size of my pinky.

Here is a close-up of the final design

Pawn_evo2-full;init:.jpg

I am working on the other 15 of these that I need and deciding which piece to make next. I shall keep these pages updated as often as I can as to where I am. Hope you all like the idea and whats been made so far.

More to come!

:knit

Thanks for the comments and interest in this so far. Im still not sure I will pull this off but I will give it my best shot.

Now, I know I said that the next post would be after the pawns were created in total but I couldnt resist and have come up with my 2nd piece - the rook. My first attempt was a modification to one of the pre-design pawns to get an idea which evolved into me creating the pattern for this. Hope it meets with expectation so far - enjoy!

rook2-full;init:.jpg

The rook next to one of the pawns

Rook1-full;init:.jpg

Tall and proud - a rook in all its glory

:knit PS - Sorry if the pics are a little blurry or fuzzy but I'm being forced to use my mobile/cell phone to take these for now.

Well, things are coming along nicely now. Im still a little stumped with the design for the knight - unquestionably the most difficult piece to figure out. So for now, I've got on with other pieces and first time round came up with the bishop. I'm quite happy with this one so far. It will be the last piece I create for a few days as I'm off to have a camera put down my throat tomorrow - soooo not looking forward to being awake for that. But I will get back and then carry on with some more soon.

Bishop1-full;init:.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry it's been so long without update on this. I have had the pieces on hold while I run back and forth from medic to maniac (it seems :D) with my voice. An endoscopy is a vile thing to have to endure and I am glad to say I don't need another one. All reports are fine physically for the vocal chords and they can find nothing wrong with me. That's supposed to be a good thing, and Im glad in a way but still bugged to h*ll that no-one can answer why I'm unable to speak with normal volume or even tone.

Anyway, I've been keeping busy and will have some updates for this within the next week or so. Its not a dead project I assure you

• 3 months later...

I love the design. I am looking forward to seeing the set. My son plays chess and these will go with the board that I cross stitched for him.

Cora

Archived