Attaching a lining to a crochet purse

LadiBug329

Question

Is there a specific way to do this? The purse is 2 crocheted granny squares and doesn't call for a lining. If its not lined, items will fall through the holes. I'm really not sure the best way to line it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I did view the post about lining the wallet an have the link on how to make a gusseted lining, but it doesn't show how to attach it to the actual purse.

:ty

8 answers to this question

Measure a piece of material to fit your purse,allow a little bit extra so your lining will have a little bit of give to it.Sew up each side and if you want a gusset lining then sew diagonally across each bottom edge of the lining. Then turn down top edges about a half inch and then hand sew to top edge of purse. hope this helps you .

Chessie - that is exactly what I planned on doing, but wasn't sure if it was the right way... THANK YOU!!!

BTW - I saw the tutorial earlier on the same site, and it is pretty awesome, just doesn't show how to attach it to the purse...

Chessie - that is exactly what I planned on doing, but wasn't sure if it was the right way... THANK YOU!!!

BTW - I saw the tutorial earlier on the same site, and it is pretty awesome, just doesn't show how to attach it to the purse...

You can sew the lining even with the purse edge or about 1/4 inch or so down either way ya want to do it....but maybe with it being a granny square you would want to sew it even with the edge :)

Wow that's a lot of work in that tutorial. I do mine very easy and basic if I can get away with it:yes. However it's a great tutorial with the pictures.

Here's how I do mine if it's a flat purse,

1. I take the fabric, fold it in half.
  2. Put the purse on top of the fabric with the bottom part of the purse on the fold (no sew on the bottom:clap), then cut the fabric just a little wider then the purse.
  3. I then do a straight stitch (by hand) up each side. With it being wider then the purse it gives it the seem allowance.
  4. I fold down the top (just press with my fingers, no iron needed this way) and sew with sort of a wipstitch to the top of the crochet purse (by hand again).

Done.

I guess it's pretty close to the tutorial. I just skip a few steps. Like ironing (why if I don't need to). Using a linging sheet, my purse works for that. And pinning. I hate straight pins. They poke me, then you have to remove them and make sure they don't fall on the floor and you step on them, etc.:blush... :lol.. I did buy some but haven't used them yet.

I've made 5 purses with lining and one bag with a bottom lining (hate those).

If it has a bottom, it's a bit more difficult so I avoid those, but have done one and have another WIP with a bottom that I need to line (and remember how I did it).

Debbi

The tutorial is really good and really clear...I do mine very similar to how she does hers. Now as far as attaching it to the crocheted "fabric" if your sewing machine can handle it, that's one way, but I always hand stitch my lining in about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch down from the edge (I also hand stitch my zippers into my crochet work that calls for zippers...) with a wipe stitch. With zippers I to a running stitch and then go back over and do another running stitch...the end result looks almost like a big machine stitch...I make myself alot of bags and purse and hardly ever have a problem with the lining coming undone...one time one did, but it was easily mendable...

While I don't have any on hand where I am now, back in the states I always use carpet thread to attach my lining...I just wanna make sure that the thread's gonna hold and not break.

"I guess it's pretty close to the tutorial. I just skip a few steps. Like ironing (why if I don't need to). Using a linging sheet, my purse works for that. And pinning. I hate straight pins. They poke me, then you have to remove them and make sure they don't fall on the floor and you step on them, etc.... .. I did buy some but haven't used them yet."

You and I share similar views on this...lol

Archived