Hanks..

tween

Question

Ok, I got some very nice yarn from a lady who wants a very simple shawl made out of it... & I got some cotton yarn to make some of the kitchen/bathroom swap stuff with, plus some other swaps I'm in... anyway.. its all in hanks.. :(

Now I know the old joke about finding the end in the middle.. but how in the HEL* do ya neatly unravel a hank? :eek

This is what I mean by hank 180_necklace_lg.jpg. I can not for the life of me, get anything but a big huge mess!! :thair

6 answers to this question

Back in the old days (1960's) that was the only way we could buy yarn. Try untwisting it and put it around the back of a kitchen chair. Or if you have a husband, he can hold his two arms up and you could put it around his arms. It is pretty easy to roll into balls this way.:yay

Sounds a bit like a country singer.

If you were going to be using a lot of hanks, you can buy a skein (hank) holder which is a gizmo, with 4 extendable arms, which rotates and the yarn comes off easily to wind into balls. Then, if you want, you can get a ball winder which clamps on the table so you can wind nice tidy balls which you can then pull out from the middle.

Machine knitters and people who spin and dye their own yarn use them. Great to have and fun to use. Saves the family moaning when you ask them to hold the hank.

Have fun.

Colleen:clap :cheer

thanks girls!! :U

I have a ball winder, which is what I was trying to do when the mess happened! lol

:hug

Since I have neither a swift or a ball winder, I've managed to get pretty creative with good results. I open up the hank and put it around the back of a chair - a bulky winter coat serves well to keep the hank from sliding around - I have a nice fleece coat that works well. Put it on the chair first, then put the hank over that, and it will stay put. It's not a fast process, but it works well. It would probably go much faster with a ball winder (I'm hand-winding on a t-paper roll).

Works well for folks like me who live alone!

a swift is one way, though I still don't have one and I buy a lot of hanks!

I use a method where I drape it over my knee (while I'm sitting down) and feed it into my ball winder slowly and keep it from tangling itself. It takes a LONG time, though. I've tried the back of a chair but I have a better time with my knee for some reason. :)

Archived