Help with yarn choice!

hookedoncrochet

Question

Hello all:

I need advice on yarn...I figured that this must be everyone's favorite topic.

I want to make the dress in the latest interweave edition....it calls for 100% cotton - worsted weight.....my question is....I found a great yarn that is a cotton/acrylic blend...it is worsted weight...and it is my favorite color purple.....but I have never worked with a cotton blend and am not sure if it is appropriate for a dress....please help!:think

Jackie

5 answers to this question

How does it feel, drape, etc?

A cotton/acrylic blend will be lighter and not as stretchy when wet. It's easy to care for, but then again, so is cotton. I think that substitution would be okay, as long as your gauge and everything else are on.

If you use 100% cotton and it stretches, you can wash it in very hot water to get the shape back. With acrylic blends you may not be able to do that.

It would be worth testing a sample of each yarn first to see which reacts best. There is a lot of work in a dress so you want to be able to wear it for a long time.

In the good old days, (the 70s) I made Bikinis, trousers, dresses, ponchos, hats, scarves, shawls etc and there were some disasters with stretching. Think what would happen if you got caught in a heavy downpour of rain.

Have fun.

Colleen.

Happy Mothers Days.

8.35am Sunday 8th May.:hug

Thanks....I think I'll try it....the material is a great price especially compared to yarn they suggest! If it shrinks or sags too much I can always give it to my "favorite sister-in-law" LOL....

Jackie

Archived