Comfort ghan request...

aliassak

I've told this story to a few in chat the other night, but after hearing it, I'm hoping that I could enlist the help of some of you....

Yesterday (Thursday), when I got to work, one of my cube-mates told me that our boss had some bad/sad news to tell me. Not knowing what was going on, I went to her office before I had even turned my system on. Jean (my boss) then informed me that the son of one of my coworkers had died the night before. (This coworker is a dear friend of mine and has taken care of my child overnight on several occasions.) My heart just dropped. DeWayne was her only child, and in his early 30s, the picture of perfect health the one time that I had met him while he was visiting his mom.

I asked what happened (thinking a car accident), and she told me that he had collapsed the night before, they rushed him to the emergency room via ambulance, found that he had fluid on his lungs and apparently suffered cardiac arrest. They were not able to revive him. His girlfriend called to let his mom know, and she flew down to Tulsa early yesterday morning.

I feel completely helpless because of the distance between where I'm at and where she's at. She is taking him back home to Mass for his final resting place (which is where her family is from). She will have a lot of additional expenses and will have to sort through all of his affairs and property down in Tulsa. We have no idea when she will return to work. And all of this happened just a few short days before Mother's Day... I can't imagine the pain my friend is in right now...

When I first heard this news, one of my first thoughts was to make a comfort ghan, but I do not have the time or the resources to take on this project by myself right now. I know that a lot of our members have very giving and generous hearts, and I am calling on you to help me help her through all of this.

I wish I could say for sure what colors would suit this ghan best, something to remind her that her son's memory lives on in the thoughts of others, even if they are strangers to her. I've been to her house just a few times, but I couldn't tell you for sure what colors she has in her home. I do know that her son's girlfriend is a very talented crocheter (I've seen an afghan that she made- just beautiful). However, I think off-white/cream and navy would be ok. I will be starting some 7" squares this weekend.

Do you have a time frame in mind?

Amber

Amber, we don't know for sure when she will be back... So, it's really hard to say. I would think that having any squares post marked by May 20th will be ok. That's two weeks from now. We don't even have a date for his funeral yet.

so sorry for the loss of your friends dear son. please count me in for 6 7" squares. please email me an address. God keep your friend in His care and give her peace.

I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. I'm only 20 minutes from Tulsa so if there is any way I could help you other than squares let me know. Put me down for 2 7in squares.

You can count on me for some squares also. I'll make at least 2. Just let me know the deadline.

I just want to say a heartfelt thank you to all those that have offered squares for this ghan. You don't know how much that means to me, and how much it will mean to my friend.

If only everyone in the world were as generous as our members here at Crochetville. :hug

I'm in for a couple. Just let me know where to send them. I feel for your friend's loss & hope she can draw some Comfort knowing there are many out here thinking & praying for her.

Update: I found out today that my friend was on her way to Mass today, and that the funeral will be on Thursday. She is planning on returning to work next Monday. However, she will have to take some extended weekends to sort through all of his things in Tulsa.

For those that have asked for an address-- I have sent you a private message with the information, please check your inbox. I prefer to give out my address in this manner, instead of email, since it should be more secure. (Yes, I'm paranoid about identity theft and personal information in emails.)

I absolutely have to give you all :hug for your generosity! I've said it before, and I'll continue to say it, Crochetville and its members rocks!!

Amy, sent your squares out today. You should get them soon. I made off-white and the other navy. Hope you like them.

I've received squares from Tampa Doll and someone else (E. Turney) that are for the most part navy. Thank you so much, you two, they're just beautiful! So, I need to bring some more cream into the ghan, if you have NOT made and sent squares, but find it in your heart that you would still like to help, I'm needing cream right now. I've got another bunch of squares on the way, from what I can tell, unless Diamond was my mystery helper from PA. I think threeolives has some more headed my way as well, I'm not sure how much more I need.

I need to get busy and get my doves done for this!

Once again-- :hug

You guys rock.

No, I'm not the mystery person from PA. I'm from Florida and you should be getting my squares this coming week as I mailed them Friday (13th). I sent 1 navy and 1 cream (off-white).

Amy, I'm so sorry to hear about friend. I see that I'm a little late on giving you help on this. Do you still need squares?

Ok, here's the scoop--- I have gotten squares from Diamond, Tampa Doll and a mystery somebody in PA (didn't use forum name, so I'm not sure who Ms. T is...)

From what I understand, I do have more squares in the mail and on their way to me... Will be checking the mailbox for them daily!

I have decided to give her the ghan on June 4th, which is the one month anniversary of her son's passing. So there is still time to get squares sent, if you're so inclined. Words can't say how much this means to me to have you all help me... I :manyheart each and everyone of you. If you don't have the mailing address, please message me for it. Thanks again!!! :hug

Archived