Potential Crochetville Crochet Retreat?

Amy

I am still kicking around the idea of a Crochetville-sponsored crochet retreat/conference. In order to keep costs as low as possible for everyone, we would probably have to do this more as a retreat without any classes taught by paid instructors. We could have several informal classes scheduled throughout the retreat if any attendees wanted to volunteer to teach them.

I've found a local hotel where we could do this. It's located in the downtown Huntsville area, and there is a beautiful park located just across the street, with a pretty mini-lake and trees. Anyone who wanted to crochet out "in nature" could walk over there and work on their projects in a beautiful, natural setting.

Remember, even keeping this a retreat with no instructor expenses, we will still have to charge for the event, since the hotel charges for the meeting room(s) we would need to use.

Please look through the following information, cut and paste the questions into a reply post, and provide your answers. Then I can decide if we have enough interest in an event like this for me to pursue it any further.

HOTEL ROOM COST: (we would most likely get a discounted rate from the rack rates listed below)

2 double beds, up to 4 person occupancy: $86 per night rack rate + 12% tax

2 double beds, up to 4 person occupancy, executive level (includes free continental breakfast, free cocktail hour with drinks and dinner snacks nightly): $97 per night + 12% tax

This hotel has a restaurant, there's a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in the hotel next door, and many restaurants downtown within one-half to one-mile away.

ROUND TRIP TAXI FROM AIRPORT: approximately $60 plus tip

RENTAL CAR COST: approximately $80-100 for intermediate, standard, or full size car

So for just a little bit more money than the cab ride, you'd have a car available to run around to restaurants, local yarn shops (3 plus Hobby Lobby and Michael's), or even take a trip to Birmingham, Chattanooga, or Nashville (90 minutes to 2 hours away) for more yarn choices.

Many flights into Huntsville come from a connecting flight out of Atlanta. Many people might end up on the same incoming flights from Atlanta, so it would be easy to coordinate sharing of a rental car, to cut your costs even further.

RETREAT COST: somewhere around $50 if done bare-bones and you're responsible for your own snacks/drinks throughout the day; somewhere around $60 if we provide snacks/drinks available in the meeting room

Retreat would be Friday noon-onward through Sunday morning. We would have the meeting room all day on Friday and Saturday. Adding the meeting room for Sunday would add an extra $25 per person to the retreat cost.

POSSIBLE RETREAT EVENTS: Fastest crocheter contest with prizes, optional gift exchange, fashion show, stash bash (bring your stash to sell, barter, trade; no businesses), business sale space (rent small booth space to sell your stuff; fee not set yet), informal free classes taught by attendees, optional road trips to LYS

QUESTIONS:

1. Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost?
  2. Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat?
  3. Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room?
  4. Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own?
  5. Would June or September be a better time of year for you to attend?
  6. Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure?
  7. How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amy,

It sounds like fun!!!!

1. Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost? $60 snack cost
  2. Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat? Fri, Sat , Sun sounds like fun
  3. Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room? A reg. room is adequate
  4. Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own? I think that we should def have a closing dinner and show, who better to appreciate our work than fellow crocheters
  5. Would June or September be a better time of year for you to attend? Maybe Sept would be better
  6. Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure? Yep!
  7. How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)?:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer 1!

I've never been to Alabama, this sounds like a great idea! :clap Amy, please contact me if there is anything that I can do to help you! Depending on my availablilty, I might even be able to come in early to help!

This sounds like a LOT of fun!

1. Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost? I would be willing to pay the $60 to have snacks provided

2. Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat? Definitely Fri/Sat/Sun since I would be coming so far

3. Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room? Executive would be nice

4. Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own? A closing dinner would be nice

5. Would June or September be a better time of year for you to attend? Probably June for me

6. Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure? Yes

7. How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)? I am super interested (1!) but the distance might make this more of a 3 for possibility.

Will keep my eye on this thread to see what everyone else thinks!

Sara

What month and days?

I don't know any specifics yet, as this is just in very preliminary planning stages. I'm considering June and September, and it would be Friday/Saturday or Friday/Saturday/Sunday, depending on what most people want.

Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost? $60

Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat? Fri/Sat

Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room? Doesn't matter

Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own? prefer meals on my own

Would June or September be a better time of year for you to attend? September

Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure? Yes

How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)? 1

Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost? $50 bare bones

Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat? $50 Fri/Sat

Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room? Regular

Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own? closing dinner

Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure? Maybe

How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)? 1__________________

1) I'd probably go with the $60 snacks/drinks. I drink a lot of pop, so I'll probably go through $10 in pop through the weekend anyway.

2) Even though I'll be traveling a long way, probably the $50 Fri/Sat retreat. That way, I'll have all day Sunday to get home.

3) The executive level home. You'll probably spend close to $11.00 for breakfast and afternoon drinks anyways.

4) Definately have a closing dinner with fashion show. At Chain Link, that is the highlight of the weekend.

5) I can't really answer that...there' pros and cons to both. June is probably too close to Chain Link in Manchester in July. September is the same month as the CGOA West Coast retreat. If we do it in June, then I'll still have my daughter's flight benefits. However, my daughter will leave for college in Sept, thus I'll lose the flight benefits. However, I think Huntsville is probably close enough for me to just drive it (about 8 hours). It's a long road trip by myself, but maybe I can split the driving and gas with someone else in the Tri-State area.

6) I think this is affordable for me. And a good weekend out.

7) Right now, it depends on a few things. Probably a solid 3.

1. Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost?

$10 extra sounds like it beats the hassle of locating your own snacks.

Sunday noon...

doesn't matter

4. Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own?

Yes closing dinner Saturday night.... fun

Would have to be end of June... what is the weather like?

Prefer latter part of September

6. Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure?

yes indeed

7. How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)?

1 very

What a great idea!!!!!

Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost? Doesn't really matter much with $10 difference

Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat? Either is fine with me

Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room? Regular is fine

Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own? closing dinner

Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure? Probably

How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)? 1

Can's wait to see if this happens!!!!!:manyheart

1. Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost? $60

2. Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat? $75 Fri/Sat/Sun

3. Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room? regular room

4. Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own? closing dinner with or without the fashion show

5. Would June or September be a better time of year for you to attend? June since it's the beginning and not the middle of hurricane season

6. Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure? I don't know if I'll be able to attend this year but given enough advanced warning, most definitely.

7. How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)? 1 Very interested

1. Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost? I would be willing to pay the $60 to have snacks provided

2. Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat? Definitely Fri/Sat/Sun since I would be coming so far

3. Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room? Executive would be nice

4. Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own? A closing dinner would be nice

5. Would June or September be a better time of year for you to attend? Probably June for me

7. How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)? I am super interested (1!) but the distance might make this more of a 3 for possibility.

1. Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost? $60
  2. Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat? $75, if I'm going to come that far I want more time. :lol
  3. Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room? Regular is fine
  4. Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own? Closing dinner would be fun
  5. Would June or September be a better time of year for you to attend? Either one would be okay depending on when they are scheduled. My husband and I run a week long rescue class in June and one in Sept. He needs me to help teach it, so, it would depend on when you scheduled.
  6. Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure? I think I can. It is not the cost of the retreat (incredibly reasonable by the way), it's working out air fare, meals and rental cars. I'd like to attend this one to see how it goes. If we get a lot of response, I'd be will to help with organizing regional retreats with the same cost structure so more of us could get to them easily.
  7. How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)? 1

Okay, I spoke with somebody at the hotel this morning. If we wanted to do a retreat in June, I'd have to sign the paperwork with them by late February at the very latest, to make sure our space was reserved. Once the contract is signed, if we had to cancel for any reason, we'd have to pay the hotel 80% of the committed price. Stiff, huh???

In order for Crochetville to avoid paying well over a thousand dollars in cancellation fees, I would need to have firm commitments and money from at least 40 people by mid-February to know if we could pull this off.

So I'd like to conduct a mini-poll here. None of this is definite yet; this is just to help me decide whether I should try to take this one step closer to being definite.

Let's assume the following:

Retreat scheduled for Fri-Sun, June 13-15, 2008

Retreat cost: $85

Optional dinner: $30

Everyone would be responsible for their own airfare, car rental, hotel room, and all other meals.

Would you attend a retreat at this time for this cost, and be able to submit payment via Paypal no later than February 21? (Please do not attempt to send any Paypal payments at this time. This figure is still estimated, and is not what the final fee would be. Plus I'm still not sure we can get enough attendance to make this possible.)

Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost?

it doesn't really matter to me. I'm a "fill up your water bottle at the water fountain" person and could bring my own snacks. (but I'm not adverse to snacks...)

Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat?

I'd go for the Sunday too. Particularly for the long travel time.

Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room?

regular room

Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own?

A dinner would be a great way to chat more with people. And I LOVE the fashion show idea :)

Would June or September be a better time of year for you to attend? I think June would... but things are so up in the air for me.

Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure? Yes.

How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)? 2 - I'd *love* to go, but my situation is very variable right now. (I may have to get a "real" job instead of a cushy academic one)

As for your additional question, I'd hate to commit to a payment so soon (though I could), but would memberships be transferable? (if I had to cancel, could I give/sell my spot to someone else? - we did that with a con I helped organize)

(though given that there's a NASA center there, I might be able to swing going even if I get this new job... hmm...)

Thanks so much for looking into this - I've been soooo jealous of the knitting retreats!!

Okay, I spoke with somebody at the hotel this morning. If we wanted to do a retreat in June, I'd have to sign the paperwork with them by late February at the very latest, to make sure our space was reserved. Once the contract is signed, if we had to cancel for any reason, we'd have to pay the hotel 80% of the committed price. Stiff, huh???

In order for Crochetville to avoid paying well over a thousand dollars in cancellation fees, I would need to have firm commitments and money from at least 40 people by mid-February to know if we could pull this off.

So I'd like to conduct a mini-poll here. None of this is definite yet; this is just to help me decide whether I should try to take this one step closer to being definite.

Let's assume the following:

Retreat scheduled for Fri-Sun, June 13-15, 2008

Retreat cost: $85

Optional dinner: $30

Everyone would be responsible for their own airfare, car rental, hotel room, and all other meals.

Would you attend a retreat at this time for this cost, and be able to submit payment via Paypal no later than February 21? (Please do not attempt to send any Paypal payments at this time. This figure is still estimated, and is not what the final fee would be. Plus I'm still not sure we can get enough attendance to make this possible.)

That is Father's Day Weekend. In case that makes a difference. I probably wouldn't go just because it would be too expensive for me and I don't get paid in the summer from my teaching job. Sounds like a good idea, but not for me.

1. Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost? Doesn't matter to me. The flight would be the main expense.
  2. Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat? I'd want the weekend - again, to travel that far, I'd stay for a few days
  3. Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room? Regular - sharing a room is also an option.
  4. Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own? I'd love to go to a local restaurant/watering hole with other crocheters.
  5. Would June or September be a better time of year for you to attend? Either is fine.
  6. Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure? I think the cost of the reteat is incredibly cheap. It would be a "steal" if I lived near the retreat location. My concern is airfare.
  7. How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)? 1

Living in Toronto, Canada, I did some research online for flights. It would cost anywhere from $650 to $800 + taxes to fly to Huntsville Alabama (although it'd be cool to visit someplace new). There are also no non-stop flights I could find (the stopovers were in texas or chicago) and would take me anywere from 8 to 12 hours to get there by plane.

If there were a Crochetville retreat scheduled near a major airport hub in the midwest such as Chicago or the East Coast, such as New York City, I'd be all over it!!

Thanks, Amy, for taking the time to do the research and plan something.

Cheryl.

Sounds like it would be a bunch of fun. Wish I could attend but just can't, there is a West Coast Navymom's Reunion being planned for this year and I just have to meet a very dear Navymom friend who lost her only child in the attack on the Pentagon on 9/11, she is going to do her best to be here. Wish I could do both.

QUESTIONS:

1. Would you prefer the $50 bare-bones retreat cost or the $60 with snacks cost? $60-mmm snacks!
  2. Would you prefer a $50 Fri/Sat retreat or a $75 Fri/Sat/Sun retreat? Fri/Sat
  3. Would you prefer the regular room or the executive level room? Executive
  4. Would you prefer to have a closing dinner with fashion show (approximate cost of $30) or to have all meals on your own? Fashion Show
  5. Would June or September be a better time of year for you to attend? September
  6. Would you be able to attend a retreat with this cost structure? Maybe...probably not, but maybe
  7. How interested are you in attending a Crochetville-sponsored retreat (1=very, 5=not very)? 1=Interest 4=feasibility

This is such a great idea! I dont know if it is something that would honestly fit in our budget at this point, but man I would love to do it!

:ohdear After calculating everything, it would cost me almost $1000 to attend. This year is out. I would have to plan ahead for that amount. I would still be interested if this were done again.:yes June would not work for me anyway. Hope you get enough people.

I would be interested IF I could get one ore more folks to carpool with me to AL from NC , VA or SC...and be willing to room with me too. I love to drive but hate doing it alone... road trips are a specialty of mine...:P

Archived