Multi-color granny squares afghan

magiccrochetfan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the afghan, great colors and the black border really brings all the colors together. How long did it take you ? Did you make all your squares and then join them together or did you join as you made the squares?

Absolutely Gorgeous. I Love Granny Squares And I Love The Colors You Chose And The Placement. I Have Never Seen One With The Outer Granny Squares Like That And I Have Fallen In Love With It. I Guess I Have Another Afghan To Add To My 2008 Wishlist. Keep Up The Super Job You Did.

Thank you all so much for your kind words...you have made my week!:c9

Beautiful! Reminds me of millifiori.
You know, I have been trying to think of what exactly I love about granny squares, what they remind me of, and thinking of mosaics, but that wasn't quite right.....It was millefiori I was trying to think of! and I have pens in a millefiori tumbler right next to the computer, but I never made the connection, d'oh. so I am really glad you said that, thank you!

I love the diagonal joining!! I'm teaching a granny square class tonight and I am going to show them this picture for another way to join. It is just beautiful!! :manyheart
Wow, I am glad you can use the picture.:hook I saw a picture somewhere of a diagonal granny afghan with 2 shades of one color in each block, that really inspired me, but after I decided to make this I could never find it again.

I love the afghan, great colors and the black border really brings all the colors together. How long did it take you ? Did you make all your squares and then join them together or did you join as you made the squares?
I am not a real fast crocheter, and I worked on it 2-3 hours at a time, not every day. I spent a lot of time figuring out the color placement and I had drawings on graph paper. the whole thing took about 6-7 weeks. I would make the colored part of several squares, figure out the color placement by laying it all out on my bed.th_100_2570.jpg Then I would do the final row of each square in black and the joining part. I enjoyed working on it and I didn't try to hurry at all.

That afghan is beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us:hug, it made me smile :Dbecause I too have worked for a very very long time placing squares in afghans so that they appear "random"!:lol...You did a great job with that....I am sure that your stepdaughter and her husband will treasure it!
Yes i was tearing my hair out, didn't want the same color adjacent, didn't want any pattern to the colors, grew to dislike the orange but needed it...randomness takes a lot of work, doesn't it?

All your comments mean so much to me! I am so glad you like the colors and the design, all those little decisions I agonized over. It is so great to be able to talk to you all about it. Yea Crochetville :ty

I absolutely love the diamond pattern rather than the traditional square grid. :clap Somehow, it makes it look more modern. I've avoided making a granny afghan up until now because I associated it with the country look (not that there's anything wrong with that :D), but now you have me re-thinking it. Very clever!

I really love your afghan...is there anyway you could share the pattern (I mean, yes I can make granny squares but yours look different from mine), and I don't know how to do the joining you suggested. Any suggestions for help would be greatly appreciated.

Your afghan is a real work of art. It is so beautiful!

I really love your afghan...is there anyway you could share the pattern (I mean, yes I can make granny squares but yours look different from mine), and I don't know how to do the joining you suggested. Any suggestions for help would be greatly appreciated.

Your afghan is a real work of art. It is so beautiful!

well, there is no pattern. I have 1 chain between the 3 dc groups and 3 ch in the corners. that is about all I can think of to say about my squares! If there is something specific about the appearance of mine that you want to ask about, please do and I will try to answer. the joining is from Priscilla Hewitt http://hometown.aol.com/lffunt/flatbraid.htm and I used this idea about joining the corners http://www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/hmb_corner_details.html I remember I played with the number of stitches in each loop of the joining and I think I had 2 ch in the loops on the sides and maybe 5 in the corners. I just did things in the way that looked best to me; I agonized over the colors but the squares themselves I was pretty casual about;)

Thanks again for all the positive comments, it means a lot to hear that the experienced crochet crafters here like my work!

I really do admire people who can start squares, finish them, sew them together and weave in the ends...sheesh that tired me out to just type it! :D Great job and beautiful.

This is super. I was thinking about doing something along the same line so it's great to see what someone else has done. I was trying to come up with some stained-glass-window effect. I saw the Annie's Attic pattern for the round rose-window afghan - oh my goodness it looks tough!!! - but I like to try designs out myself.

I like the effect of the colours against the black border: very, very pretty. This is an afghan that is too pretty to give away:)

I really like that a lot. It would be great as a scrap afghan, too, wouldn't it?

I think the color placement looks great, so you did a great job! I can see myself being just as picky about the placement! :-)

Archived