Adult Uggs-inspired pattern - advice please

cupcake

Question

Since I have published my baby uggs-inspired pattern I have been constantly asked to come up with an adult version. My challenge is the soles.

I am actually not a big fan of crochet footwear for adults as I feel the soles may be slippery, particularly on timber floors. I also wonder how warm these are in really chilly climates. My uggs would be for indoor wear only, like a slipper.

I have considered making the sole double thickness but that is a lot of extra work. I have pondered a felt insert.

I need feedback on the following:

Is a crochet sole acceptable?

What else can I do?

Thanks in advance as the soles are driving me nutty.

17 answers to this question

just as regular crocheted slippers - or plain old socks - would have a 'slip factor' that is something for the person making them to consider.

pesonally, i'd LOVE to make some adult Ugg-style slippers all crocheted, not with a leather or alternate bottom.

thanks for asking for opinions. perhaps you could do alternate patterns.

You ladies are wonderful so many great ideas to consider. I dont think I have ever seen jiffy grip here. Thanks for the great idea to put suggestions at the end. I have slowed down a bit on these becasue it has been so hot here at the moment. Thank you (and your husbands for some ingenious ideas).

First of all, I crocheted the soles in double thickness to make the slippers cozier and more padded. In the layer that touches the floor, I did the following: I bought elastic bands. The big, long elastic bands that are about 8" across unstretched. When you cut these, you end up with a (approximately) 16" long piece of elastic. As I crocheted the layer of the sole that touches the floor, every two rows I used a double strand - 1 strand of yarn, 1 strand of elastic - and I crocheted across the row. When I got to the end of the row I cut the strand of elastic and did the next row in just yarn, and I went along the whole sole like this from toe to heel. What I ended up with was a sole that had the rubber band crocheted right into the sole. You then stitch the two layers of sole together and then go about attaching the top of the slipper to it. It works PERFECTLY to keep the sole from slipping! Elle

Tell your husband thanks for an incredibly ingenious idea!

I also like the idea of writing the pattern out and then giving suggestions at the end on how to make the soles non-slip. Puffy paint, sewing on gripper fabric or suede, etc.

grandmalolly, I'm with you...had the same idea about the non-slip rug fabric...they also sell it at computer stores to keep your keyboard steady - however, I LOVE the idea of the jiffy grip...I searched for it online--what a smart product; wish I had thought of it :)

I love the idea of the warm snuggly all-crochet boot-slippers. Maybe you could include ideas at the end of the pattern for making them non-skid? When I worked at Hancock's, we had a rubber-like "fabric" that you could put under rugs, or cut to put on slippers or put on any item that you wanted to make sure that it didn't move or slide. It also is sold in smaller rolls in the Home dec areas of your stores that have shelf liner. It keeps dishes from slipping on your shelves. I wish I could remember the actual name of this stuff, because it works great. There is also "Jiffy Grip" sold pre packaged. It is the same material that is on the bottom of the foot of children's one piece jammies. Hope this helps. Keep up the great work. I love your designs, and always look forward to seeing what you come up with.

What a wonderful idea! I'm going to try that.

I prefer all crocheted slippers. I don't have your baby Uggs so I don't know how the sole is made in them but I prefer slippers that have soles with a starting chain that you crochet around. When I find slippers I like if it has the soles with the back and forth sc I change them anyway to the in the round pattern and then add the top to them.

I have made slippers for myself and for others, and I have done two different things to keep them from being slippery. The first thing I tried was puff paint. It worked OK, but I don't know if it was the brand I used or what, but it was still not as skid-proof as I wanted it to be. As I was brainstorming one night, DH started suggesting things that I could do. What he came up with sounded funny until I tried it, and it worked like a charm!

First of all, I crocheted the soles in double thickness to make the slippers cozier and more padded. In the layer that touches the floor, I did the following: I bought elastic bands. The big, long elastic bands that are about 8" across unstretched. When you cut these, you end up with a (approximately) 16" long piece of elastic. As I crocheted the layer of the sole that touches the floor, every two rows I used a double strand - 1 strand of yarn, 1 strand of elastic - and I crocheted across the row. When I got to the end of the row I cut the strand of elastic and did the next row in just yarn, and I went along the whole sole like this from toe to heel. What I ended up with was a sole that had the rubber band crocheted right into the sole. You then stitch the two layers of sole together and then go about attaching the top of the slipper to it. It works PERFECTLY to keep the sole from slipping! I think it's pretty ingenious, if I do say so myself. It just galls me that I have to give DH the credit for it and can't claim the brilliant idea for my own! :lol

Elle

I have broken both of my feet (at different times, thankfully) and was in a cast for weeks each time. As it was winter, I used a man's tube sock, cut it down the middle and wrapped it around my foot so my toes didn't get cold. I used puff paint on the bottom of the sock so that I didn't slip when I could walk around. It worked great.

If you used suede for the soles on the boots or on slippers, how would you wash them?

Katie:crocheting

LOL that is funny if you interpret it as written. Hahaha

I am an Occupational Therapist so I worry about fall prevention too. I do use it like the puffy paint, but I put a lot on. It doesnt change the feel of the slipper because of the foam in between.

Hey I am an OT as well. Must be the OT factor creeping in hey? Lovely to meet another OT!

Does the glue stick their feet to the floor so they dont fall over??

LOL that is funny if you interpret it as written. Hahaha

I am an Occupational Therapist so I worry about fall prevention too. I do use it like the puffy paint, but I put a lot on. It doesnt change the feel of the slipper because of the foam in between.

I started making slippers from a free pattern that has double thickness soles with foam insoles in between. I like it because it will give more padding. I plan on adding glue to the bottom to make them non stick.

Sorry this really made me laugh out loud. Does the glue stick their feet to the floor so they dont fall over??

I like the idea of foam in between. I hadnt thought of that. Also the puff paint idea is a great one which I have heard of.

Thank you all so much.

If I may be so bold as to give you my opinion. Most of my home has carpet with the exception of the kitchen and the utility room where the floor is linoleum. I mostly wear socks, fuzzy slippers (no soles), or crocheted slippers. I don't have a problem slipping on my linoleum floors while I wear those items. Granted, I don't wax my floors, either.

At work, the tiled hallway floors are heavily waxed and I can slip while wearing sneakers or regular shoes.

Although I greatly appreciate your concern for the welfare of your customers, the decision should be up to the consumer whether or not they can wear those types of slippers on their floors. If the consumer has highly waxed floors, a toddler, who is not steady on his/her feet, will still slip wearing the boots you currently sell.

Thanks for your opinion. I guess I just want to make sure that the ones I design have maximum benefit. I managed the national falls prevention program here in Australia and I guess I have a particular concern in this. One in three people over 60 fall each year and many are injured, hospitalised as a result. I would hate to think someone got a fractured hip from wearing one of my designs. I know it is the consumers choice, but I do feel that designers need to be aware of safety standards. The same way I wouldnt put beads and buttons on something for a baby.

If I may be so bold as to give you my opinion. Most of my home has carpet with the exception of the kitchen and the utility room where the floor is linoleum. I mostly wear socks, fuzzy slippers (no soles), or crocheted slippers. I don't have a problem slipping on my linoleum floors while I wear those items. Granted, I don't wax my floors, either.

At work, the tiled hallway floors are heavily waxed and I can slip while wearing sneakers or regular shoes.

Although I greatly appreciate your concern for the welfare of your customers, the decision should be up to the consumer whether or not they can wear those types of slippers on their floors. If the consumer has highly waxed floors, a toddler, who is not steady on his/her feet, will still slip wearing the boots you currently sell.

to keep them from being slippery just add a bit of puff paint to the bottoms. It works great and is completely washable. As it wears off you can just apply it again. I do that on the back of rugs and on slippers so they dont slide around. Hope that helps

Archived