Striped house socks

Sonny321

I probably have more socks and slippers than any other woman on the planet. I seriously love them though since I suffer from the world's iciest toes, even in a mild Texas winter. Plus they are such a simple project to make and don't take much yarn or time. I do love instant gratification.

I started these last night while watching tv. They are simply your standard toe up/type sock, made from regular old red heart worsted weight and an I hook. I start my sock/sock style slippers with a circle rather that an oval, simply because it's easier for me, and I am a touch lazy :P. To add some warmth without the added bulk, I crocheted over and carried the yarn for the stripes that I wasn't using at the time around each row, Like you do in tapestry crochet I believe. You just have to be careful not to tug the yarn you are carrying to tight or you can make then too snug. It makes for Way fewer ends to weave in, as I said before I'm lazy lol.

Any way these fit nice and snug. I have them on right now, along with my double thick textured slippers, and I think, just maybe, my poor toes are starting to thaw.

th_IMG00188.jpg

th_IMG00187.jpg

Those are awesome! Which pattern did you use?

blessings,

Kath

I really didn't use a pattern exactly. I've just made enough of them that I understand the basic sock construction.

Any toe up sock tutorial will work though, like the one below.

http://www.graftonfibers.com/socks.htm

The only thing I do different is how I start mine. I chain 2 and then work 6 sc in the 2nd chain from hook for the first round, 2 scs in each sc in the 2nd round, 2 sc in the first sc 1 in the next* repeat around for the 3rd and so on, until the circle is big enough( usually 5 or 6 rounds for thicker yarns.) and then just continue like the tutorial says. You may need to add some increases to accomadate the circumference of your arch and to get it to fit over your heel. Socks are simple once you've made a pair and understand the basic construction your options are limitless.

I really didn't use a pattern exactly. I've just made enough of them that I understand the basic sock construction.

Any toe up sock tutorial will work though, like the one below.

http://www.graftonfibers.com/socks.htm

The only thing I do different is how I start mine. I chain 2 and then work 6 sc in the 2nd chain from hook for the first round, 2 scs in each sc in the 2nd round, 2 sc in the first sc 1 in the next* repeat around for the 3rd and so on, until the circle is big enough( usually 5 or 6 rounds for thicker yarns.) and then just continue like the tutorial says. You may need to add some increases to accomadate the circumference of your arch and to get it to fit over your heel. Socks are simple once you've made a pair and understand the basic construction your options are limitless.

I knit socks, but I cant seem to "imagine" a short row heel in crochet for some reason. Do you use, like that tutorial, an afterthought heel? or do you work it as you go? I love yours because they are shortie socks which is what I knit, but I want to crochet them because crochet is my first love.

Thanks for all the info!

Blessings,

kath

I knit socks, but I cant seem to "imagine" a short row heel in crochet for some reason. Do you use, like that tutorial, an afterthought heel? or do you work it as you go? I love yours because they are shortie socks which is what I knit, but I want to crochet them because crochet is my first love.

Thanks for all the info!

Blessings,

kath

I use an after thought heel.

I've never attempted the short row heel, I know there are some tutorials out there for them but just haven't gotten around to learning it. I like the short ankle socks too. I just can't get the leg part to fit properly when I make them go up higher, it's too loose and floppy anound my bony ankles. That might be my weird feet though I have a deep arch so I have to make that part pretty big to go over my heel.

Love your socks,I have not tried making any with worsted weight. I am sticking to mostly sock yarns for now. I am attempting my very first after thought heel as we speak. It is from the book Beyond Basic Crocheting by Sharon Hernes Silverman. I really like this book as it gives clear step-by-step instructions as well as very clear and concise pictures. As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures I hope to post my socks! :)

Archived