Qhook

man, i have noticed that i can't work long on something with my big ol Q. anyone else? it makes my shoulder hurt. i have tendonitis in my hand/wrist - i wonder if i've wounded my shoulder too....

do you think it's because of the exaggerated&large movements because of the hook size?

just curious if anyone else has experienced this...:huh

I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it may come back to haunt me a some time in the future. Suffice to say I am searching for wooden things to knock against as <span style="font-size:xx-small;">I have had no trouble so far.</span> Hope it doesn't last long for you!

Absolutely! I had problems when I first tried a Q hook because I crochet with the pencil hold. I quickly realized that wasn't going to cut it with a Q hook, and now I use the knife hold. It was awkward for me at first, but now I can happily crochet away for hours with a big ol' Q. (I'm actually using the knife hold even more now. I never thought I would, but it's so much easier on my wrist. Far less movement.)

okay, so i'm in my room trying to figure out if i "cut" or "draw"....

which of course totally throws me off and takes me forever to get going :oops

i guess i'm a 'knifee' although, a better description would be slightly more graceful than a 2 yr old holds a spoon. i lead with my thumb instead of my forefinger if that makes sense :frog

but maybe that's just with a Q --- i'll have to check another size later.

:o :ohdear:P

Guest SamplerLady

Using a larger hook does require a different set of muscles to work, I think. When I get tired of one size, I try to have (or start) a project of a different size hook to use different muscles. Gotta find ways to keep hookin'! :bigsmile

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hooky emmy

i had the same problems when I first started using the hook, even though I usually use a knife hold. I got over it after a while, though, and now LOVE my Q-hook! The projects I create are so big and fluffy and beautiful, wonderful for winter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A little off topic but my massage therapist I had back in Canada says there is a theory that carpal tunnel is actually caused by a pinched nerve in the shoulder. I never put the two of them together until he said that but I do notice my wrist hurts more when I am holding my shoulder in a shrugging position.

Rachel

Archived