What's Happened to Michael's? (rant)

greeneggs

I stopped by the Michaels by my moms house today and was just looking around at the yarn, when I realized that RedHeart SuperSaver is now up to $2.59 a skein, last week it was $2.49. I realize it is for seven ounces but it just keeps going up. Haven't checked AC Moore yet, they are usually cheaper with Wal-mart being the cheapest around here.

LI Roe

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, I have a gift card for Michaels, but I can't seem to come up with anything I want there. The only lighted hooks they have are E and F, which is more than they had the time I was there before. They frequently have empty areas in the yarn bins, and the store has an overall feeling (appearance) of disarray. The aisles are cluttered with bins full of dollar items and damaged (bargain) goods. I think these bins detract from the store. This store is in an upscale area and I'm not sure who is buying these items. I am far more likely than most of their customers to be shopping for dollar bargains, but not this stuff. Additionally, two of the last three times I was there, I received poor customer service when looking for items. The staff was apathetic - did not care to help me look for the items, did not check with another co-worker/manager, and were just like - if you can't find it, I guess we don't carry it.

The JoAnn's by my house is a very nice, well-stocked store, but it's one of their super stores. There is a regular one near my work and that one is dark, has empty shelves, and no customer service. I spent about 20 minutes one day wandering the store looking for Christmas yarn. I was the only customer in the store for the whole time. No one ever asked to assist me, even as I left the store without any purchases.

I stopped by the Michaels by my moms house today and was just looking around at the yarn, when I realized that RedHeart SuperSaver is now up to $2.59 a skein, last week it was $2.49. I realize it is for seven ounces but it just keeps going up. Haven't checked AC Moore yet, they are usually cheaper with Wal-mart being the cheapest around here.

LI Roe

Yep, the prices go up and the quality is still crap. I hate RHSS but I still use it often as it's a cheap yarn to do big projects with. Bathe it in fabric softener and it might get soft the first wash. :lol I think our Wal-Mart sells it for just over $2 still. I haven't bought any since before Christmas, so I can't claim it for certain.

TampaDoll, come on up! I'll make room for ya. We have a new LYS 7 miles from my house that I've heard has super people working there and great selection. It's in a historic home too... BONUS! I love old homes. I haven't been there yet, as I'm afraid I'll come out of there with my bank account in hock.

The Michaels by me has a small yarn selection and higher prices than the Joann's that recently opened right next door to it. At least I get to hit both stores in a row with my 40% off coupons. Don't even have to repark the car. :D I have the feeling Michaels will soon close due to the competition. The Joann's is larger and carries more stuff. Both seem to have a very helpful staff and the stores are neat and clean. A few more miles down the road is AC Moore, who has the largest yarn selection, best prices, and clean rest rooms. :) We have Walmart too but I don't even consider that for yarn. They pretty much only stock Homespun and the price doesn't compare to AC Moore when they have a sale on it. Besides, who wants to wait 45 minutes on line to pay for a few skeins of yarn? :angry I find myself ordering online if I need a lot of any one color of a specific yarn. The stores don't stock that much at once.

Just reading through the thread and feeling your pain. I don't care much for the selection we have here, either. I need to see if we have any shops in Anchorage that specialize in yarn or something.

As a funny side note, I went to the AC Moore site and did a search for any stores near me. The only one that came up was:

Store #81 - Amherst, NY

1581 Niagara Falls Boulevard

Amherst, NY 14228

716-834-2290

Distance: 3081.39 miles

Yeah. I think I'll pass. :laughroll

well I was in my nearest one this weekend and even though I haven't been there in a while I was shocked how much they've changed. less yarn and brands, hardly any books. I was very disappointed when asked if they had a coupon and they said they don't carry them in the store. Before they would always use one from the customer before you.

But the Joann's has also changed but for the better. More crafts than ever in the one I was in. everything I wanted I found in there.

Reading through this I feel incredibly lucky. I've got 2 decent Michaels, a Wal-Mart Supercenter that still has a good yarn selection, and a good Joann's close. ACMoore is far enough that I only go there if I'm up that way for something else, but still...I've got a pretty good selection. Not that I'm not always greedy for more to choose from, but still. If somebody took my internet away, I could make do nicely. I didn't realize that that was becoming rare.

The Michaels I shop at has a nice selection of yarn (thankfully because the Joann's stores around here are crappy) but even so, they don't seem to take very good care of it. The store is clean enough, but its annoying having to make my way around faux flowers, scrapbooking stuff, & $1 bins in the aisles to the far back corner of the store where they keep the yarn like its a naughty child. Seems to me they should keep the clearance sale stuff back there closer to the store-room & make the yarn more visual. But what do I know, I'm just a crochet junkie - I'd buy yarn in a dark alley!:hook

Where do I start with the Michael's near me?

The dark lighting? The small yarn section? The boxes in the isles for restocking? (Which they never seem to do) Oh I know, the workers constantly ignoring the patrons or saying I don't know where that is or even if we have it. They have better lighting over wicker baskets, than over the yarn.

Joann's is only better in the fact that the lighting is good and they very rearly have boxes in the isles for restocking. They would rather have an empty shelf.

I am to the point where I buy most of my supplies on the internet. How sad.

There is suppose to be an AC Moore being built on the other side of Tampa, but that doesn't help us over here.

Tampa Doll-

I don't know if you've heard but we are suppose to be getting an AC Moore on our side of town. Don't know if it is true or not but I would love to go in there!

Once I passed an AC Moore while driving to Wesley Chapel but didn't go in. DH was with me and I had mercy on him :lol.

You know we should start a stitch-n-bitch in Tampa....that would be pretty cool!

The last time I went to Michaels they didn't have much in the yarn selection but its over an hour away so I don't go often anyway. I don't remember seein ANY yarn last time I was at Joanns...

The hobby lobby here has a fairly nice selection and they are great about ordering something for you if they are out of stock. They are always really helpful too. So that is where I go most of the time.

BTW...a lighted hook? I've never even heard of that before. Oh I am going to have to look into that one.

My daughter sent me a gift card for Michael's. In my area there are two Michael's fairly close to me. The first one I went to about 3 weeks ago and just couldn't find anything that interested me that much and the couple of skeins of yarn that I did like were too high priced. I knew I could get the same thing cheaper at Hobby Lobby,

I ended up this past week going to the other Michael's store and it was somewhat better. At least at that location they have the crochet hooks, knitting needles and other supplies in a well lit area. The other store has them on a dark aisle and it makes it difficult to find anything in the dark! Also that dark aisle makes me think it would be the perfect place for a mugging! LOL! Kidding, but not kidding, if you know what I mean.

I ended up buying 12 skeins of Sugar N' Cream because it was on sale and I can always use it. And I got a knitting needle case that matches the tote bag I got in a exchange on another forum. I still have some money left on the gift card. It won't be easy spending it there.

I did notice that both stores, but more so the second store had quite a few empty bins in the yarn section and only a few colors in some brands that I know have more color selections in their line.

My favorite place for yarn shopping is really a tie between the Joann's Super Store and HobbY Lobby. Each store carries some yarns that the other one does not and the Joann's Super Store has a nice selection of yarn.

I think next time I will specify Joann's or Hobby Lobby as places I want to recieve gift cards for, except that I don't know if either of these stores are in San Diego for my daughter to purchase a gift card.

Sabrina

Sabrina, just a thought! I've found a lot of places will let you purchase gift cards online, so you can have them sent to the person. Or, do a store locater search and see what is near her, hehe. Just making it easier, ya know...LOL

Archived