ch-3 sp???

Question

im new to crocheting and trying to make a baby blanket for my sister. i have a pattern but dont understand what one of the lines in the pattern means, can you help??? i dont want to mess this up. The parts I dont understand are in bold.

Ch 117.

1st row: (RS) 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Ch 1. Miss next ch. *1 sc in nect ch. Ch 3. miss next 2 ch. Rep from * to last 3 ch. 1 sc in next ch. Ch 1. Miss next ch. 1 sc in last ch. Turn. 37 ch-3 sps.

2nd row: Ch 3 (counts as dc). 1 dc in first sc. Miss next ch-1 sp and sc. *Ch 3. 1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3. 3 dc in next ch-3 sp. Rep from * to last ch-3 sp. Ch 3. 1 sc in last ch-3 sp. Ch 3. Miss next sc and ch-1 sp. 2 dc in last sc. Turn.

What is "ch-3" and "ch-1" sps? What does that mean?

Thanks,

Toni

2 answers to this question

Hopefully, I can help. On row 1, you see the ch3, miss 2 chains (of the beginning 117). This forms a space. The same with the ch1, miss next chain, it forms a smaller space.

When you sc into the space, you sc around the ch3 or ch1.

Sally (like I said, hope this helps!)

What is "ch-3" and "ch-1" sps? What does that mean?

"ch-3 sp" and "ch-1 sp" is the abreviation for "chain-3 space" and "chain-1 space" - and it refers to the chain-3s and chain-1s you made in the row below and the spaces formed by those stitches.

Ch 117.

1st row: (RS) 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Ch 1. Miss next ch. *1 sc in nect ch. Ch 3. miss next 2 ch. Rep from * to last 3 ch. 1 sc in next ch. Ch 1. Miss next ch. 1 sc in last ch. Turn. 37 ch-3 sps.

the "37 ch-3 sps" tells you that if you count back along the row you just made you should have 37 chain-3 spaces. This is your stitch count for the row so that you can check that you have made the row correctly. I really like it when patterns have this.

2nd row: Ch 3 (counts as dc). 1 dc in first sc. Miss next ch-1 sp and sc. *Ch 3. 1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3. 3 dc in next ch-3 sp. Rep from * to last ch-3 sp. Ch 3. 1 sc in last ch-3 sp. Ch 3. Miss next sc and ch-1 sp. 2 dc in last sc. Turn.

"Miss next ch-1 sp" this means that you skip over the chain-1 space in the row below.

"1 sc in next ch-3 sp" this means to make 1 single crochet in the chain-3 space in the row below by looping your stitch around the 3 chains.

"3 dc in next ch-3 sp" this means to make 3 double crochet stitches in the chain-3 space in the row below by looping your stitches around the 3 chains.

Between the * and the next * you repeat these instructions up to the last "ch-3 sp". The instructions after that tell you how to finish the row when you get to the last ch-3 sp - - you skip the next sc, then skip the next ch-1 sp, then you make 3 dc in the last sc to finish the row.