what does this mean?

tonifabulous

Question

im new to crocheting and trying to make a baby blanket for my sister. i have a pattern but dont understand what one of the lines in the pattern means, can you help??? i dont want to mess this up. The parts I dont understand are in bold.

Ch 117.

1st row: (RS) 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Ch 1. Miss next ch. *1 sc in nect ch. Ch 3. miss next 2 ch. Rep from * to last 3 ch. 1 sc in next ch. Ch 1. Miss next ch. 1 sc in last ch. Turn. 37 ch-3 sps.

2nd row: Ch 3 (counts as dc). 1 dc in first sc. Miss next ch-1 sp and sc. *Ch 3. 1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3. 3 dc in next ch-3 sp. Rep from * to last ch-3 sp. Ch 3. 1 sc in last ch-3 sp. Ch 3. Miss next sc and ch-1 sp. 2 dc in last sc. Turn.

What is "ch-3" and "ch-1" sps? What does that mean?

Thanks,

Toni

14 answers to this question

All those mean is that it is the space (abbreviated sp) created by your chain 3 (or chain 1). It created a "hole" and on the next row you will crochet INTO that hole. The "37 ch-3 sps" translates as "you have made 37 chain-3 spaces"; which is really nice info to have since now you can go back and count them to make sure you are still on track!

Translating crochet abbreviations is like learning a whole new language so it is very easy to get confused. It has happened to everyone! Let me know if you have any more questions! Good luck!

Sara

ETA: Welcome to the 'Ville! :welcome

im new to crocheting and trying to make a baby blanket for my sister. i have a pattern but dont understand what one of the lines in the pattern means, can you help??? i dont want to mess this up. The parts I dont understand are in bold.

Ch 117.

1st row: (RS) 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Ch 1. Miss next ch. *1 sc in nect ch. Ch 3. miss next 2 ch. Rep from * to last 3 ch. 1 sc in next ch. Ch 1. Miss next ch. 1 sc in last ch. Turn. 37 ch-3 sps.

2nd row: Ch 3 (counts as dc). 1 dc in first sc. Miss next ch-1 sp and sc. *Ch 3. 1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3. 3 dc in next ch-3 sp. Rep from * to last ch-3 sp. Ch 3. 1 sc in last ch-3 sp. Ch 3. Miss next sc and ch-1 sp. 2 dc in last sc. Turn.

Thanks,

Toni

CH is the abbreviation for chain. In you pattern, you did a single crochet then chained three. The ch-3 sp is referrefing to this space. You won't be inserting your hook into an actual stitch, but into this space so that on the insert the chain three is above your hook. Does that make sense?

Ch 117.

1st row: (RS) 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Ch 1. Miss next ch. *1 sc in next ch. Ch 3. miss next 2 ch. Rep from * to last 3 ch. 1 sc in next ch. Ch 1. Miss next ch. 1 sc in last ch. Turn. 37 ch-3 sps.

This is just telling you that at the end of the row you will have created 37 of the chain 3 spaces. This is a place to check your work so that the next part will work

ch-1 sp[/b] and sc. *Ch 3. 1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3. 3 dc in next ch-3 sp. Rep from * to last ch-3 sp. Ch 3. 1 sc in last ch-3 sp. Ch 3. Miss next sc and ch-1 sp. 2 dc in last sc. Turn.

Thanks' date='

Toni[/quote']

A chain 3 or a chain 1 space is the space that is created when you chain three and skip some stitches below so that a hole is formed.

This is just an old pic that shows how a space is formed.

Dtop1add.jpg

Sorry that the background is so obvious but it was a pic I had on hand.

Thank you so much! The only problem I have is that I only have 28 Ch-3 sp....hmmm...I mus not have done that correctly. LOL! This is so hard!

Don't worry...that happens to me ALL the time and I have been doing this for a lot of years. Actually, I don't consider it a successful project unless I have frogged something on it at least once....(BTW, "frog" means to "rip it" out...get it...rip-it sounds like ribbet=frog). One of my most recent projects I had to frog completely THREE TIMES before I got it to work out right!

You are doing fine and will get the hang of it quickly. Then you will be an addict like the rest of us!

Sara

well i have frogged it up about 3 times now...haha!

i have another issue though... im starting my 3rd row and i dont get it...

3rd Row: Ch . 1 sc in first dc. Ch 1. Miss next dc. *(1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3) twice. Miss next 3 dc. Rep from * to last 2 ch-3 sps.

What does it mean twice?

3rd Row: Ch . 1 sc in first dc. Ch 1. Miss next dc. *(1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3) twice. Miss next 3 dc. Rep from * to last 2 ch-3 sps.

Here's a step-by-step translation:

Chain 1 and single crochet in first double crochet (that's the dc that is right under the ch-1 you just made)

Chain 1.

Skip the next double crochet.

Then: *1 single crochet in the next chain-3 space and chain 3. Repeat this twice more in the same chain-3 space. (So this would be written, with abreviations, as: 1 sc in next ch-3 sp, ch-3, 1 sc in same ch-3 sp, ch-3, 1 sc in same ch-3 sp, ch 3.)

Skip the next 3 double crochet stitches.*

You repeat the instructions between the * and * up until there are only two chain-3 spaces left in the row below.

Just read that part twice...so (1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3) then (1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3). Since is says to do it in the NEXT ch-3 sp you move on to the next one. Then when you have done that, you sk the next 3 dc and repeat 2 more (1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3).

You might want to sit down and write out the pattern in actual words instead of the short cuts. That could save you some time and confusion. So row 3 would read:

"chain 1. 1 sc in first dc. chain 1. skip next dc. 1 sc in next ch-3 sp, chain 3. 1 sc in next ch-3 sp, chain 3. skip next dc. 1 sc in next ch-3 sp, chain 3. 1 sc in next ch-3 sp, chain 3. skip next dc. Miss next 3 dc....(etc. until you reach the last two ch-3 spaces)

HTH!

Sara

Here's a step-by-step translation:

Chain 1 and single crochet in first double crochet (that's the dc that is right under the ch-1 you just made)

Chain 1.

Skip the next double crochet.

Then: *1 single crochet in the next chain-3 space and chain 3. Repeat this twice more in the same chain-3 space. (So this would be written, with abreviations, as: 1 sc in next ch-3 sp, ch-3, 1 sc in same ch-3 sp, ch-3, 1 sc in same ch-3 sp, ch 3.)

Skip the next 3 double crochet stitches.*

You repeat the instructions between the * and * up until there are only two chain-3 spaces left in the row below.

OK, we are reading that differently and I think that is just going to confuse things! LOL! Since is says "(1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3) twice", don't you do the same thing in succession and not into the same stitch? The NEXT means to move to the next ch-3 space doesn't it? If it was all supposed to be done in 1 ch-3 space wouldn't it read "(1 sc in ch-3 sp, ch 3) twice in next ch-3 sp"?

Now I am getting confused....

Sara

OK, we are reading that differently and I think that is just going to confuse things! LOL! Since is says "(1 sc in next ch-3 sp. Ch 3) twice", don't you do the same thing in succession and not into the same stitch? The NEXT means to move to the next ch-3 space doesn't it? If it was all supposed to be done in 1 ch-3 space wouldn't it read "(1 sc in ch-3 sp, ch 3) twice in next ch-3 sp"?

Now I am getting confused....

Sara

Toni - you're going to have to figure this part out based on the picture and how you think the row is supposed to look and whatever the pattern says should be your stitch count at the end of the row. Sorry to be confusing!

Hi Janet, you made your own thread with this question earlier, and it was answered.  i.e. is Latin for "that is to say", and is followed by a phrase that makes something said before the i.e. more clear--an example given in a definition I just looked up =  "The cough may last for a short period of time—i.e., three to five days."

So by itself we can't tell you what the pattern is trying to tell you, I'm guessing the designer must have described a stitch or action that happened in the first row, decided the description needed clarity and clarified it by adding a more precise description of "i.e. first row" .