Hero brand hooks

So far, my favorite hook is one I inherited from my grandmother. She probably bought in the 60's or 70's. It's a Hero brank J hook. I've looked in stores and online, but I can't seem to find a place to buy another one. (I'd really like an H too.)

I'm guessing that nobody makes Hero hooks anymore. Does anyone know where I could buy used ones? Anyone here have one to sell or swap for some yarn?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest psychosharona

It seems to me they might have come with offers , such as if you subscribe to a magazine or book. I have one and it said made in germany. See if you can google it or some yarn shops in germany might carry them. Sharona

• 6 months later...
It seems to me they might have come with offers , such as if you subscribe to a magazine or book. I have one and it said made in germany. See if you can google it or some yarn shops in germany might carry them. Sharona

Do the HERO hooks have a plastic grip? Most German yarn hooks that I know of and used in Germany do. If they do you can also do a search for INOX hooks or other German hooks. I absolutely dislike American hooks, especially BOYE and SUSAN BATES. They don't do it for me at all. The yarn doesn't glide as smoothly and the hook catches more than it does with the German hooks.

There are many places where you can get German style hooks though. One place is here

http://www.jklneedles.com/html/ProductLineDetail.cfm?productlineid=46

Hero hooks were manufactured in Germany, in one of the New England states and in the great state of SC :D .

The flat on the ones made in Germany is thinner and has a slightly different head than the ones made in the US.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Hero brand is my favorite. My first hook came from a German nun teaching a group of us to crochet a bit. I get them from eBay now. They seem to have a small but fanatic following. I saw a complete set for $200 on eBay last year. Most of the time, you can only find them in ones or twos thrown in with a bunch of Bates or Boyes.

So far, my favorite hook is one I inherited from my grandmother. She probably bought in the 60's or 70's. It's a Hero brank J hook. I've looked in stores and online, but I can't seem to find a place to buy another one. (I'd really like an H too.)

I'm guessing that nobody makes Hero hooks anymore. Does anyone know where I could buy used ones? Anyone here have one to sell or swap for some yarn?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I was trying to get some information on a Hero hook I have and came across this almost 2 year-old post discussing Hero hooks.

A couple of ladies mentioned their Hero hooks came from Germany. The Hero hook I have (size 0 [zero]) has stamped on the reverse side "Made in England."

Since the letter/number sizes are not the same in all hooks, I was wondering if anyone knew what the mm of the "0" size Hero hook might be.

This is a question of merely curiosity rather than importance. Thanks. BarbaraSD

I was trying to get some information on a Hero hook I have and came across this almost 2 year-old post discussing Hero hooks.

A couple of ladies mentioned their Hero hooks came from Germany. The Hero hook I have (size 0 [zero]) has stamped on the reverse side "Made in England."

Since the letter/number sizes are not the same in all hooks, I was wondering if anyone knew what the mm of the "0" size Hero hook might be.

This is a question of merely curiosity rather than importance. Thanks. BarbaraSD

I use this site for comparing hooks. For my Hero hooks, they usually are close in size to the Boye. So on this chart, size zero would be close to 3.25.

http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/hooks.html

Here's chart of Aero hooks which I like a lot mainly because they are similar in shape and length to the old Hero hooks I have.

http://www.yarnforward.com/crochetconv.html

This chart suggests that a 3.25 mm would be close to a D.

Also for hooks, I find it useful to use one of those ruler things with holes they make for knitters. Although made for knitting needles, I find it seems to work with hooks as well.

http://knitting.about.com/od/toolsandsupplies/qt/needlegauge.htm

Archived