hanging kitchen towel??

tammymae

Question

I always wanted to make one of those hanging kitchen towels, with the crocheted tops....does anyone know a really easy way to make that dreaded first row.... how do you space out the stitches so it comes out even and how do you make the hole in the towel??? Also, how do you keep it from fraying, once you cut the towel in half... TIA for any help

12 answers to this question

Me and my sister made a couple for our grandma to give to a friend of hers. They're really easy.

I used my size E hook and sc'd loosely along the cut edge, working the hook through the fabric. I just did my best to make the stitches close together and at about the same height. Then I switched to a larger hook for the rest (I only bothered with the E because it was the only hook I have that can work it's way through fabric well).

My sister used a needle and (I think) threaded the yarn through in a spiral like, and then crocheted onto that. We both used triple crochet for the main crochet.

We didn't have any trouble with the towels fraying, and the first row of crochet covered it quite well, but if you're worried, I'm sure hemming it first would work just fine.

I know we've got a picture somewhere, I just don't know where off the top of my head...lol

I wouldn't worry about a button hole either, most buttons can fit through crochet stitches pretty well. A row of dc is good for smaller buttons, and a row of tc or bigger is good for larger buttons.

It's not really an exact science, or at least it wasn't for us. ;) (Though I finished first, so my sister did the same decreasing as I did to make them match)

I used to make those. I cut my towels in half and I first zig zagged the cut edges on the sewing machine. It keeps the fray under control much better.

Then I used a very small needle to puncture the first row into the towel, I think I did this first row as a sc or maybe just a chain across it, then came back with the next row as a sc.

Just evenly crochet that first row on, all the way across the towel. Try to make it come out with an even number of stitches all the way across, not an odd number, as you will want to decrease later on and even number might do better than an odd number.

At some point up the towel you will start decreasing the stitches until it comes to about 7-10 stitches on the row, or you may prefer to make this larger or smaller, just decrease until it is to your liking.

It's easy to experiment after you get the cut edge zig zagged and the first row on, on what you think looks best.

I also did a row of sc all the way around the crochet section as the last step of crochet.

Then I sewed a big pretty button on it to secure it on my drawer handle.

These are super easy to make and fast, too. You really don't need a pattern, they're so easy to make.

I was always afraid of those for some stupid reason. I even crocheted the whole towel several times to avoid having to try it. Stupid I know. Finally I just bit the bullet and tried it. I folded the towel in half, and skipped the cutting part. Someone here said this was good because it was thicker, and it did work out nicely. I used a small hook to just poke holes through both layers and crocheted loosely. After that first row I switched to a larger hook and made the topper with that. It worked out fine.

I always wanted to make one of those hanging kitchen towels, with the crocheted tops....does anyone know a really easy way to make that dreaded first row.... how do you space out the stitches so it comes out even

I use a ruler and make a mark every 1/4th inch across the top with a disappearing ink marker

and how do you make the hole in the towel???

Sometimes I use a darning needle and yarn and blanket stitch across and then crochet into that. More often I use a small crochet hook and sc across using the sharp end of a compass to work the hole larger if need be.

Also, how do you keep it from fraying, once you cut the towel in half...

I fold the cut edge over once and stitch it on a sewing machine with the zig zag stitch. Anymore the towels are so thin that I just fold the towel in half and skip this step.

I used to make those. I cut my towels in half and I first zig zagged the cut edges on the sewing machine. It keeps the fray under control much better.

Then I used a very small needle to puncture the first row into the towel, I think I did this first row as a sc or maybe just a chain across it, then came back with the next row as a sc.

Just evenly crochet that first row on, all the way across the towel. Try to make it come out with an even number of stitches all the way across, not an odd number, as you will want to decrease later on and even number might do better than an odd number.

At some point up the towel you will start decreasing the stitches until it comes to about 7-10 stitches on the row, or you may prefer to make this larger or smaller, just decrease until it is to your liking.

It's easy to experiment after you get the cut edge zig zagged and the first row on, on what you think looks best.

I also did a row of sc all the way around the crochet section as the last step of crochet.

Then I sewed a big pretty button on it to secure it on my drawer handle.

These are super easy to make and fast, too. You really don't need a pattern, they're so easy to make.

That's exactly what I was going to say!! I would cut the towel in half and fold it over and sew it on the machine. Then make holes and start the yarn that way!!! :manyheart

I cut my towels in half (the images on mine were split in the middle and on the other half of the towel were a mirror image of the first one making it undesirable to fold it in half or 3/4) i then folded the cut edge sewed a seem and then even sewed pleates into the top edge, poked holes in the towel with a sharp scissors and then crocheted through them.

Thread a yarn needle, pull out 3X the width of the towel and wrap a twist tie to mark the length. Starting from back to front, bring the needle through the towel until the twist tie touches the towel. Now whip stitch across the towel the same number of sts as your pattern says your first row is supposed to have. I usually use a ruler and a fading marker to mark the st locations on the towel before hand.

I should have said that you need to remove the twist tie, twist the yarn around the hook to form a loop and then begin crocheting. :P

Archived