expensive yarn- what to do with it?

My in-law's live near an alpaca farm so we went a few weeks ago to look at the animals. They were selling yarn that was spun using their animal's hair/fur.

My in-laws told me to pick out some skeins and they'd buy as a gift. So I got 4 skeins (the sales lady said there is about 200 yards in each skein).

Now I have NO CLUE what to make with it. It's a lighter weight than WW but not too much less. This yarn was really expensive so I want to make something special with it. Any ideas?

I don't wear shawls or wraps (I know it would make a beautiful wrap, but I would never wear it). It's in a beautiful undyed dark khaki color. And I have enough scarves to last me a lifetime.

My brain hurts from thinking about this for so long now...

Make an afghan using a less expensive yarn for the main color, and use the alpaca as the accent color. Make sure that the other yarn has the same washing characteristics as the alpaca, though.

I'd suggest a small throw if it's handwash only, though.

If it's feltable, maybe a purse?

Go through all your patterns and make something for yourself. Look for just the perfect thing to make.

We as crafters generally make things for other people and forget ourselves.

With this very pretty yarn, make the perfect thing for yourself. You deserve it.

Look on line for patterns also. I bet you can find something just terrific to make.

Good luck.

:manyheart

oh my goodness! that is beautiful! i haven't made any wearables yet other than scarves, etc. i wish i was good enough to make pretty sweaters.

Definitely a nice cardigan for yourself! I agree with snugsmontreal that we all start somewhere and if you find a simple pattern you like I bet you'll end up with a beautiful (soft, warm, etc.!) sweater that you can be proud to wear!

MomToLabs

It doesn't sound like you have quite enough for a pullover or cardi, but I bet you have enough for a great shrug. Alpaca is so warm and cozy; I really hope you make yourself a nice wearable out of it. What a luxury!

thanks for the suggestions everyone. i think i may have to make a wearable. haven't made one yet. and yes...this project is for me! i'm not going to give this away. the yarn is heavenly soft and warm.

Archived