Cat Afghan Square for Cat Afghan CAL

CrochetLiving

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started this square last night and boy it has been a challenge! I thought I would be okay with it since I am pretty comfortable in working with multiple colors in Tunisian, but this has been a bit of a struggle. But I've learned from my mistakes and I should have it down soon.:hook

I was working on my second square last night. I used one of the suggestions from the bobbin tutorial link that mamaoso posted a few days ago. The suggestion was to have the balls of yarn in a box lined up in the order they would be used and when you go to turn your work, you turn the box and your work at the same time. I am happy to say my yarn didn't get tangled up into a mess and I wasn't constantly searching for the correct strand of yarn to use. :cheer That one little trick turned this into a pleasant experience.

Maria -- I was also very careful to make sure that my yarn stayed on one side no matter which side I was crocheting on. I'm not sure why this makes a difference but my square is looking better.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish the second block tonight and post a photo.

I started this square last night and boy it has been a challenge! I thought I would be okay with it since I am pretty comfortable in working with multiple colors in Tunisian, but this has been a bit of a struggle. But I've learned from my mistakes and I should have it down soon.:hook

What may do to help you? Tunisian and sc color changing are not really related. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be a master.

I was working on my second square last night. I used one of the suggestions from the bobbin tutorial link that mamaoso posted a few days ago. The suggestion was to have the balls of yarn in a box lined up in the order they would be used and when you go to turn your work, you turn the box and your work at the same time. I am happy to say my yarn didn't get tangled up into a mess and I wasn't constantly searching for the correct strand of yarn to use. :cheer That one little trick turned this into a pleasant experience.

Maria -- I was also very careful to make sure that my yarn stayed on one side no matter which side I was crocheting on. I'm not sure why this makes a difference but my square is looking better.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish the second block tonight and post a photo.

Great! There is always a learning curve and we do learn from those experiences. Please keep us posted and can't wait to see you progress!

YOU ALL DONT WANT TO SEE MINE--I REALLY HAD PROBLEMS, SOMEHOW I GAIN STITCHS AND THEN GOT CONFUSED LIKE GOING BACK. DID I STOP AND REDO NO I DID NOT. LEARNING, I HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE, ITS NEW TO ME.

I WILL TRY TO GET PIX LATER SO YOU ALL CAN GO

WHAT WAS SHE THINKING. LOL

YOU ALL DONT WANT TO SEE MINE--I REALLY HAD PROBLEMS, SOMEHOW I GAIN STITCHS AND THEN GOT CONFUSED LIKE GOING BACK. DID I STOP AND REDO NO I DID NOT. LEARNING, I HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE, ITS NEW TO ME.

LOL! I had the opposite problem, I was losing a stitch per row somehow, (probably because I was lazy and not counting total stitches per row) but now I'm back on track.:hook

What may do to help you? Tunisian and sc color changing are not really related. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be a master.

I think most of my problem was that I was being lazy and not counting total stitches on each row, and I ended up dropping like a stitch a row.:lol

I think it's just a matter of me working with the technique and getting used to it. It is quite a bit different than Tunisian intrasia. Especially since in Tunisian you don't turn the work so I get tripped up sometimes making sure the bobbins are all where they are supposed to be after a turn. I am sticking with it though because I want very much to learn this technique.:hook

Don't Worry! Be Brave! We all go through the same thing and maybe someone can benefit from your mistakes! I would like to see the square and then I can help go down the right path.

Maria,

I think I've got it now! I'm up to the row just before the collar. Though on the next square I think I will wind some center-pull balls rather than using these bobbins -- they are more trouble than they are worth I think -- and I can't get enough yarn on them to make the whole square. I can wind the little balls and keep them all together in a zip-lock bag to keep everything straight and it will be much easier to manuever.:hook

I didn't get to work on my square last night because I was making a square for a comfortghan. Unfortunately I won't get back to it until Tuesday since I'm going camping this weekend. I just wanted to let you know so you wouldn't think I gave up on it.

Maria,

I think I've got it now! I'm up to the row just before the collar. Though on the next square I think I will wind some center-pull balls rather than using these bobbins -- they are more trouble than they are worth I think -- and I can't get enough yarn on them to make the whole square. I can wind the little balls and keep them all together in a zip-lock bag to keep everything straight and it will be much easier to manuever.:hook

I was awy from my computer yesterday so I have a lot of catching up to do here. Let me know how you made out.

I was awy from my computer yesterday so I have a lot of catching up to do here. Let me know how you made out.

I finished the graph part of the square, have not done the edging yet but should completet that tonight. I think it came out very good, my digital camera is dead or I would post a pic of it.

Just for the heck of it I think i will work the graph in Tunisian as well for comparison.:hook

I did manage to get the square done after all but there are parts that still are not right. I was very careful about keeping the bobbins on one side and how I picked up the next color (not getting the old color caught in the new color) but there are still some raggedy edges. I'll take a photo of it Monday after I sew in the ends.

Maria I would love to join in on this CAL as well. I have not completed a graph yet, I have tried a few and not liked how they turned out and so didnt finish.

I cant wait to get started this is such a cute pattern, I will PM you for the joining etc instructions

I finished my square but am in the middle of moving into our first home! Hopefully on Monday or Tuesday I can share my square!

Good Luck on your move!!

Congrats on your first home!!!

My yarn has been sitting in the box just waiting to be turned into cute kitty's. :yarn

Glad you got the OK.. :clap

I can't wait to learn something new here..:think

My hook is in hand :hookcan't wait to start..:yay

Archived