Cat Afghan Square for Cat Afghan CAL

CrochetLiving

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 done and 23 to go.. That's if I did it right...

What do you think teach??

th_100_1972.jpg

Click-able

I had to be different and did the graph backwards.. I like the tail on the other side..;)

You did a wonderful job. I have printed off the graph and am going to have to at least make a few squares.

My grandson fell asleep early last night and I was able to make my 1st square. Surprisingly, I had it done in just a few hours. The cat is a maroon/burgundy color with a light pink collar. If the background wasn't white, the collar color would show up better.

My cat seems to be a bit raggedy, though. I also noticed that my yarn always seemed to be on the wrong side when I needed it so when I dropped the color I was using, I moved the yarn to the side closest to me so it would be on the correct side when I needed it.

Maria - Did I do it right? The image is clickable if you want to take a closer look at the stitches. Any suggestions on how to make the edges of the cat a bit smoother would be appreciated.

DSCF0592-sm.jpg

Oh, I have got to try this out. Thank you for the Graph. Do we have a date scheduled yet? I have a few balls ready !

I have a question.... Do we carry the other color along? I tried this and it shows thru terribly. Help! :lol

Oh, I have got to try this out. Thank you for the Graph. Do we have a date scheduled yet? I have a few balls ready !

I have a question.... Do we carry the other color along? I tried this and it shows thru terribly. Help! :lol

Use separate balls. You will need 3 bobbins of background color, aaand 2 bobbins of cat color and a small bit for the collar.

My grandson fell asleep early last night and I was able to make my 1st square. Surprisingly, I had it done in just a few hours. The cat is a maroon/burgundy color with a light pink collar. If the background wasn't white, the collar color would show up better.

My cat seems to be a bit raggedy, though. I also noticed that my yarn always seemed to be on the wrong side when I needed it so when I dropped the color I was using, I moved the yarn to the side closest to me so it would be on the correct side when I needed it.

Maria - Did I do it right? The image is clickable if you want to take a closer look at the stitches. Any suggestions on how to make the edges of the cat a bit smoother would be appreciated.

DSCF0592-sm.jpg

All odd rows, 1, 3, 5 etc are the right side and no yarn must be on this side. The even side is the side where you keep your bobbins.

When you change colors, on the last st before the color change, work the sc until you have 2 loops on hook, drop working color, pick up new color and complete st by drawing through with new color.. You will have the new color on your hook. If you work the stitch before the color change to completion and then pick up new yarn, you will get the ragged edges. If this is not your problem, let me know.

The way you suggest to change colors is exactly how I always change colors so we now know that's not the issue. In reading the rows, I did it like I do filet, odd rows are left to right so I'll have to change that on my next square. In filet, the charts are read bottom to top which is also what I did. Do I still go bottom to top? Could having read my rows incorrectly (odd is left to right) cause the raggedy appearance? I would think not, but you never know. If that's not the reason, then the only thing left is the bobbins. I went back and look at your instruction post. It says 2 bobbins for each side and 1 for the space between the tail. That totals 5 bobbins. I was only using 4 bobbins for the background. Where does the 5th background bobbin go?

Do you know how many skeins of background yarn are needed for the entire afghan? I want to make the afghan about 50ish x 60ish plus border.

Reallllly basic question here probably! I understand the graph and I understand how to change colors, but I've never worked with bobbins before. If anyone can help, or provide me a link to help, that would be very much appreciated! :flower

Ok, so this is my effort

catsquare.jpg

What do you think? (it is square its just that I didnt take the photo very well:)) I got a bit lazy with the ears and carried the yarn through, I wont do it again, would look better if I did it properly:P

Ive only been crocheting for 4 months and i really enjoyed this pattern.

Would be grateful if you could pass on the border pattern. Thanks

Clare x:crocheting

Ok, so this is my effort

catsquare.jpg

What do you think? (it is square its just that I didnt take the photo very well:)) I got a bit lazy with the ears and carried the yarn through, I wont do it again, would look better if I did it properly:P

Ive only been crocheting for 4 months and i really enjoyed this pattern.

Would be grateful if you could pass on the border pattern. Thanks

Clare x:crocheting

Looks Good! I just PM'd you with the border.

Keep up the good work! I see you are carrying your. That's OK but you do have a lttle peek through.

Went shopping today and got my yarn and bobbins and am ready. Definitely need to wait for the instruction since I have never done this before and none of the talk about bobbins and changing colors makes any sense to me! I am looking forward to learning something new and can't wait to get started!:hook

Amy just emailed me and I believe we are going to do this a s a free class. This means that I can have all the information on one page and then we can do a one on one. In the meantime, PM me and I'll help you start the square,OK?

I started mine first square during the weekend and it is curling. I think it is tighter this time because I also took this opportunity to teach myself colour changes without knotting :cheer While I have figured it out on this small scale project, I doubt I will ever know how to do it on big graph-afghans. Is there a way to stop it from curling when it is obviously too tight? Will a run through the laundry help it relax?

I started mine first square during the weekend and it is curling. I think it is tighter this time because I also took this opportunity to teach myself colour changes without knotting :cheer While I have figured it out on this small scale project, I doubt I will ever know how to do it on big graph-afghans. Is there a way to stop it from curling when it is obviously too tight? Will a run through the laundry help it relax?

When you make your beginning chain, use a hook one size larger.

Where is it curling? On the edges or at the bottom?

Would like to see a photo if possible.

Washing it may not make it looser but tighter. What size hook and yarn? Are the yarns the same brand and weight?

Please give more info as I want you to be happy with this pattern so you will be able to do large scale graphs. Remember, this is a first try and here is where all the kinks are worked out.

Keep me posted or PM me.

When you make your beginning chain, use a hook one size larger.

Where is it curling? On the edges or at the bottom?

Would like to see a photo if possible.

Washing it may not make it looser but tighter. What size hook and yarn? Are the yarns the same brand and weight?

Please give more info as I want you to be happy with this pattern so you will be able to do large scale graphs. Remember, this is a first try and here is where all the kinks are worked out.

Keep me posted or PM me.

Ok here are two pictures. The white yarn is a caron so soft and the one used in the cat is a red heart, so I don't think they are the same weight. I am using a size I for this project, and I wish I had remembered the little trick about the size larger hook. I did that with the big spongebob afghan I am making for my son. Oh well, I don't plan to include this square in the finished project (my daughter wants it for her barbie :D) Here are two pictures!

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

Ok here are two pictures. The white yarn is a caron so soft and the one used in the cat is a red heart, so I don't think they are the same weight. I am using a size I for this project, and I wish I had remembered the little trick about the size larger hook. I did that with the big spongebob afghan I am making for my son. Oh well, I don't plan to include this square in the finished project (my daughter wants it for her barbie :D) Here are two pictures!

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

It looks like your yarns are not compatable and when you carry them, the square distorts. I've PM'd you.

Archived