Cat Afghan Square for Cat Afghan CAL

CrochetLiving

I posted a photo of my cat afghan in Home Decor Show and Tell that I got from Women's Household Crochet Winter 1991. It's also available in a handback book called Afghans To Treasure. It's popular!

I know not everyone has the book or magazine pattern and I wanted to do a Cat Afghan CAL, so I designed my own cat square so that if you want to participate you can use either square. If you haven't done a graph, I am using a simple sc to work this. Hope you will give it a try as I will help you get the hang of it.

I am writing the pattern now. More updates soon!

Crochetville002-1.jpg

that is adorable cant wait to see the pattern

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have a start date for this yet?

I've got a message in to Amy. I want to do this like a free class so that I can teach the graph technique with a limited number of participants. If you know how to do the color changes, that's fine too. But I wanted to have a 3 week time line. That would give everyone plenty of time to make a square and learn the border and joining technique.

Maria, I still want to do this CAL. Depending on when you start, I may start late as I will be out of town Feb 10th thru Feb 16th. Have my yarns so will be excited to get home and see if this has started.

I am definitely going to give this a try when you get it started. I have tried a couple of times to get going on the graph w/ sc and just haven't been happy with how things worked. I appreciate the opportunity to try this on a smaller project.

I have an old cross stitch pattern of a tiger done very graphically. Posterish sort of. I have wanted to do a graph ghan of him but haven't been able to get started. I've tried small things and decided I need some help. :eek Hopefully we can get going soon. I'm looking forward to it.

Why did the old Ketchup commercial just run through my head? Does anyone else remeber it? You Know the one were they sign "anticipation, anticipation, its making me wait... It's keeping me wai a a a a a ating. Ok I know it was corny but it really di dpop into my head.

OK my friends, I have added the graph only to my blog.For those who know graphing, just click on the image and it will take you to a full sized page. I will still be holding the CAL for the border and joining and the row count. This graph will get you going a little, I hope!

Still waiting for the Amy go ahead.

In the meantime I am open to any of your questions.

OK my friends, I have added the graph only to my blog.For those who know graphing, just click on the image and it will take you to a full sized page. I will still be holding the CAL for the border and joining and the row count. This graph will get you going a little, I hope!

Still waiting for the Amy go ahead.

In the meantime I am open to any of your questions.

:wooThank you!!!!

Thank you for posting the chart! I may mess around with this over the weekend. I've never done a graph in SC before...I'm thinking I may try this chart in Tunsian as well and see what it looks like....:hook

Prepare your yarn bobbins first. You'll need 2 of background for each side and one for the space between the tail and body of the cat. Wind 2 bobbins for the cat.

I used an H Susan Bates hook. Ch 27, sc in the 2nd ch from the hook and in each ch across. 26 sc in the row.

The even side of the square is the wrong side and all your bobbins should be on that side. Use rubber bands to keep each bobbin from unraveling.

If you do tunisian, the square will probably be a little larger because you're working each row twice.

Any questions will be cheerfully answered!

I might use a solid for the cat body and a variegated for the tail. And vice versa for the companion square. Just a thought.

Archived