Question:What threads for what projects?

Gracie Rose

I am a bit confused...I have doily patterns with materials needed ..250 yards of cotton crochet thread.....then see a pattern of say a hat that you can stiffen and hang on wall and it says...needed..450 yards of bedspread weight crochet thread...Then I hear about useing cotton for say ...dish cloths or pot holders.....Could any one give me some examples that they use so I can get the right threads for projects? Thank you in advance......

Lots of patterns calls for a breadspread weight cotton which is generally a size 10 cotton thread.This is a good size for some doily patterns according to how heavy you want the doily or how large. you can go with a lighter thread say a 20 or 30 size thread,which will not change the design of the pattern but will give you a smaller or larger size doily.For dishcloths you could use a brand like Peaches &Cream which is a soft ww yarn or any ww yarn that you would like to use.Its really up to you how you want to do it. You can experiment with different size threads or yarns. I'm not sure how long you have been crocheting but the only way I know to tell you is go with what the pattern calls for. Hope this has been some help to you.

I am a bit confused...I have doily patterns with materials needed ..250 yards of cotton crochet thread.....then see a pattern of say a hat that you can stiffen and hang on wall and it says...needed..450 yards of bedspread weight crochet thread...Then I hear about useing cotton for say ...dish cloths or pot holders.....Could any one give me some examples that they use so I can get the right threads for projects? Thank you in advance......
Rule of thumb is look at the hook size if in doubt. The larger the thread the larger the hook. The bedspread weight cotton is normally size 10 and the usual hook size is 6-8 the average being a size 7. Your cotton for dishclothes take a much larger hook. It is worsted weight cotton yarn/thread. used for making kitchen items and such. So look at you hook size and you will have a better idea what size thread they want you to use. If it says a size 10 hook it is most likely like a size 20 thread. If it says G or H you are probably looking at the worsted weight cotton. Size 7 probably a size 10 thread. Hope this helps you sort this out. But that's how I calculate the size of thread when in doubt.

Archived