How Do You Keep Track of your Patterns?

I'm just curious as to what everyone else does in regards to patterns.

I find patterns all kinds of places, and I like to save them so that if I want to use it later, I know I have it. Here is the problem.

I've gotten so many patters over the last 2 years that I can't keep track of them anymore.

How do you guys keep a hold on all of the ones you might have?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very interested in how this question is answered. I need a better system so I know what I have also. I waste more time looking for a pattern I know I have:think

I am interested in knowing a good system as well. I have a ring binder with clear sleeves. It is not working and I keep stacking "ripped out" patterns on top of it....

I need help too!

Debbie

uwcheese

I keep the patterns I've printed out in a 3 - ring notebook inside sleeve protectors. When I accumulate enough of these, I'll have to divide them into categories. If/when I accumulate too many of these, I'll probably dedicated a file cabinet drawer to patterns.

Recently, I've started keeping patterns I find on the internet in a folder on my desktop, instead of printing them out. You can organize them into separate subfolders, too.

Right now the pattern books are on top of my file cabinet...I don't have many of these.

A local yarn shop keeps their patterns in sheet protectors and then in portable file boxes.

me too. ive even put them in oder by holidays, zoo,farm,teddy bears, dolls,ect. it really helps. i even mark the outside of the notebooks.

me too. ive even put them in oder by holidays, zoo,farm,teddy bears, dolls,ect. it really helps. i even mark the outside of the notebooks.

This is also how I organize my patterns, it makes it so easy to find what I'm looking for.

I used to keep my patterns in a plastic tote..that is before I accumulated so many patterns.Then when I needed a pattern I would have to dig thru all of them,that became a headache! :eek LOL by the time I found the pattern I was too tired to work on it.

So now I keep my patterns better organized, I have them catergorized. I found some clear plastic folders at a Doller Tree,I lucked out and got them 10 for a dollar. I have them all in groups of bookmarks,bears,dolls,tree ornaments,etc. And now I can easily see what is in each folder.

I keep mine in 3 ring binders. I have one for each catagory like wearables, dolls, home decor, baby, etc... I also have a binder for misc. items that don't fit into any one catagory. They are labeled on the spine what catagory they are. On the inside of the binders I keep paper so that when I add a pattern I write it down so that I have an index of what is there so I don't have to look through each pattern to find what I am looking for. I keep each pattern in the order in which I originally put them. It works for me.:)

I have most of all of mine saved as pdf files and organized like I have a folder for Kitchen stuff and in that folder I have coasters, dishcloths, and so on. And then I just print whatever project I want. When I see a pattern online I go to print it but save it as a pdf file instead. Hope to hear other people's methods. :hook

I have a big multi-pocket folder with a closure. I keep paper patterns together according to hats, baby stuff, scarves, afghans, etc. Most of the time I have active patterns out in various places about the house. I was thinking this morning about a recent pattern and whether I had put it away in that folder or if it was still somewhere else. :eek

Not the best system but I'm glad you asked. I'd like some new ideas too.

some of mine are saved pdf files, most of mine are in binders, and seperated into several categories...... charity, gifts, barbie, etc... and then i have an index of each category so i know exactly which binder each pattern is located in. i'd lose track otherwise.

i print mine out and organise it in bunches for bookmarks, doilys etc.. the patterns for the WIPS i'm working on goes into the little baggie with the project itself..

i like Kookykatlady's idea of binders and index though.. sigh.. mebbe one day...

My printed ones off the internet are in a huge binder,

My designed patterns are in a large binder,

My soft-cover purchased books (8X11.5 size) are in used Postal PRIORITY MAIL boxes

that I have cut for easy access, then categorized and they are on shelves,

along with..

My Crochet Books (hardbound)

My Crochet Magazines ( which I don't have many of, they are in a box too).

And all the ones I need to ebay/sell are in a tub - that I never seem to get

to, I think I need to list them here!!!

I keep my patterns in a three ring binder as I see many of you do. I keep them organized in catagories ie. Stuffed animals, dolls, squairs, etc. I even have a section for kristieMN's patterns because I have so many. Thanks for all your great ideas

and then categorize them into a 3 ring binder. I also have another binder dedicated to those free patterns sheets you get into yarn stores. So I have a binder for patterns I download and print and I have a binder for the free Bernat, Lion Brand, etc. sheets I've gotten from Walmart, Michael's etc.

I also photocopy patterns that I buy and carry the copy around when I'm making it so that I don't ruin the original. This way I can also write in the margins and make any changes I need if I want to resize or change a pattern.

I have two methods. Of the recent patterns I've found, those that I plan/hope to do sooner rather than later are printed and in sheet protectors. Those that I liked but I know won't be happening anytime soon are saved as a word file. I plan on backing up the word file to a CD as well. But with the sheet protectors I can mark off rows I've done if I need to by using an overhead marker and erase it when I have the project completed.

Same as my 5 billion recipes.

I have 3 ring binders. A few for knitting a few for crochet. Divided into wearables, accecories, etc.

Then I have a thin one where I keep the projects I'm working on, usually about 3 or 4. Then I can just grab that folder when I'm taking a project or 2 somewhere.

If I don't plan on doing it anytime soon I have file folders going.

The patterns I've gotten off the internet or purchased pdf files are on my computer by category. A copy is backed up on cd. Those patterns that I've printed out years ago (before I realized I could copy and paste) are in 3-ring binders by category.

I have several binders going -- one by category (where I put patterns that are not on my computer or free leaflets), one for charity (squares for comfortghans, etc), and one that has the patterns I want to make this year or are currently making.

One thing I want to do this year is to index all the patterns in my crochet books into one file. That way if I'm looking for a shawl pattern, I won't have to go through every book I own trying to find it.

I try to just save mine on the computer because otherwise I'd be printing everything, and only making a small fraction of it. I use subfolders (lots of them). I have folders for baby, winter, hats, clothing, etc, and then divide them down, like "clothing - pullovers - winter - turtlenecks". That works relatively well.

When I print them I keep them in a binder with dividers. It stays pretty organized.

I am in the midst of organizing my patterns now. It's a once a year task! Not easy!

I keep printed patterns in binders, books on a shelf in my craft cabinet but I have a real problem with magazines. I had them inside the bottom shelf of my cabinet but I never know what's in them until I sit for an hr or two & look through lol...that wouldn't work if I was looking for a specific pattern. It would take HOURS of browsing.

So..I broke down & went through all my magazines. If they were real "crochet" magazines like Crochet! or other strictly crochet mag, they went in one of two piles...keep & sell/trade. The others like general craft mags that had a few crochet patterns, got ripped out & the mags are going to goodwill. :devil

The ripped out patterns are going in my binders. I hate to destroy a mag like that but I had a ton of mags, some with just 2 patterns in them but I kept the whole mag anyway :lol I am debating ripping out a few patterns on crochet mags too & donating the mags. Stop me! LOL

I'm taking a bag of craft books to goodwill today. Next I'm organizing my online patterns. I have a ton of those too, more than I will ever crochet.

After reading all these ideas, I think I'm going to have to go with the binder/sleeve protector.

I made a template for the online patterns I've found so I know I have a photo, material and instructions in an easy format to read. That and so they look similar (i'm a TAD OCD).

Archived