Scarves for victims of abuse, pattern ideas added post 963

grannyannie

Hello,

I bought some beautiful, soft yarn yesterday from Hobby Lobby with the intention of making a scarf for your charity. I didn't even think to look at the label! It is hand wash only! Is that okay or should I use that yarn for something else and get a washable yarn? Thanks! :hook

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi fellowscarfies!

Well, the school year has started and that stresses me ten times more than a wedding! I'm crocheting, but slowly, because I don't have time to do more than a few rows a night. I'm glad Sissie's group are "sponsoring" you this month, I don't feel quite as bad when I see posts saying they've sent you scarves... Anyway, six and three-quarters done now, I'll just keep going till I hit ten!

Hello,

I bought some beautiful, soft yarn yesterday from Hobby Lobby with the intention of making a scarf for your charity. I didn't even think to look at the label! It is hand wash only! Is that okay or should I use that yarn for something else and get a washable yarn? Thanks! :hook

It is fine to use, but I would include washing instructions with it. You can just snip the instructions from the label if you like. I also have some tags that I could put on that say hand wash only if you remind me when you send it, lol! I've done it both ways when I've made scarves with hand wash only yarn that I just couldn't resist :lol.:hug

Hi Olivia! So good to hear from you! So sorry to hear that you're stressed out though :(. I understand somewhat. My DDIL just started teaching this year. She teaches kindergarten :eek! So, crochet away when you have the time! I'll be here when the scarves are ready ;).

Hi fellowscarfies!

Well, the school year has started and that stresses me ten times more than a wedding! I'm crocheting, but slowly, because I don't have time to do more than a few rows a night. I'm glad Sissie's group are "sponsoring" you this month, I don't feel quite as bad when I see posts saying they've sent you scarves... Anyway, six and three-quarters done now, I'll just keep going till I hit ten!

Thank goodness! LOL Thanks!:hug

It is fine to use, but I would include washing instructions with it. You can just snip the instructions from the label if you like. I also have some tags that I could put on that say hand wash only if you remind me when you send it, lol! I've done it both ways when I've made scarves with hand wash only yarn that I just couldn't resist :lol.:hug

Oh my goodness!

I have just discovered the delights of an 'I' hook and a ball of RH Super Saver! I have a few skeins of RHSS in pretty colours that were sent to me by various lovely Villers :manyheart but up to now, I didn't have a real purpose for them because they're different in weight and texture to our acrylic yarns. But last night I picked up a hook size I had never actually used before and off I went. I now have eight scarves completed and am going to start #9 tonight. Yippee! :clap

I decided to head to Michael's today and they still had the Bernat yarn on clearence for 99 cents a skein so I spent about $50 and got a huge tub of yarn in many pretty colors. My other half said "now what are you going to do with all that new yarn". I said "Make scarfs of course":hook. They are so pretty and soft and I knew they'd be great for scarf making. I have 2 completed so far for you Ann. I'm trying out all these different patterns.

A co-worker saw me making one and she said she was going to the store to buy yarn and have me show her how to make a scarf for her daughter. I love making scarfs. I want to make the matching wrist warmers but I crochet the scarfs until I run out of the yarn and forget to leave some for the wrist warmers. I'll have to try and keep that in mind.

I decided to head to Michael's today and they still had the Bernat yarn on clearence for 99 cents a skein so I spent about $50 and got a huge tub of yarn in many pretty colors. My other half said "now what are you going to do with all that new yarn". I said "Make scarfs of course":hook. They are so pretty and soft and I knew they'd be great for scarf making. I have 2 completed so far for you Ann. I'm trying out all these different patterns.

A co-worker saw me making one and she said she was going to the store to buy yarn and have me show her how to make a scarf for her daughter. I love making scarfs. I want to make the matching wrist warmers but I crochet the scarfs until I run out of the yarn and forget to leave some for the wrist warmers. I'll have to try and keep that in mind.

:hugThank you soooo much Pat! Oh, I keep seeing everyone talking about the Bernat yarn on clearance at Michael's and I want to go soooooo bad! I wish it wasn't an hour away ( and I had to talk DH into driving me, lol):(

I FINALLY finished the scarf I promised! It only took about 1-1.5 hours to make! :lol However, it turned out great. The picture of course does not do it justice and could never convey just how soft this yarn is! :hook It will be in the mail on Monday.

DSCF1617.jpg

Thank you so much. The pic is beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person! :hug

Hello my dears!

On Thursday I posted a box of scarves ... but had to send it by surface mail because it was too heavy! I had the choice of sending fewer but more quickly or more and more slowly - so I chose the slower method (my apartment was slowly disappearing under scarves. In fact, that evening DH noticed the re-appearance of various surfaces and wondered what was missing.

"The scarves," I said.

"Where did they go?" he wondered (as though scarves could sprout legs and wander off)

"They're on their way to the USA," I said.

"You're nuts," he said, shaking his head.

"You knew that before we got married," I retorted. Well, really. He did. )

So there are ten of various colours and designs on their way, Ann, and a separate note with some wedding pics :lol

Hello my dears!

On Thursday I posted a box of scarves ... but had to send it by surface mail because it was too heavy! I had the choice of sending fewer but more quickly or more and more slowly - so I chose the slower method (my apartment was slowly disappearing under scarves. In fact, that evening DH noticed the re-appearance of various surfaces and wondered what was missing.

"The scarves," I said.

"Where did they go?" he wondered (as though scarves could sprout legs and wander off)

"They're on their way to the USA," I said.

"You're nuts," he said, shaking his head.

"You knew that before we got married," I retorted. Well, really. He did. )

So there are ten of various colours and designs on their way, Ann, and a separate note with some wedding pics :lol

Thank you so much Olivia! LOL, my DH had a similar reaction after the Ancient Games were finished! He commented that he had forgotten we had 3 chairs in the living room :lol!

I look forward to receiving your package and seeing your wedding pics! :hug

Ann, I have 3 done which I will send out this week. My crocheting as been relaxing me so much I keep falling asleep in the middle of my projects :lol. I do have more coming since Walmart had yarn on clearance for $1.50 so I bought some more. All my tubs are filled and now they are piling up on the couch since that's where :crocheting. I better get busy on more scarves or my DBF is going to start complaining his seat is gone.

Ann, I have 3 done which I will send out this week. My crocheting as been relaxing me so much I keep falling asleep in the middle of my projects :lol. I do have more coming since Walmart had yarn on clearance for $1.50 so I bought some more. All my tubs are filled and now they are piling up on the couch since that's where :crocheting. I better get busy on more scarves or my DBF is going to start complaining his seat is gone.

Thank you, Pat! Is your Walmart closing out all it's yarn too?! :eek They were about the only place around here to buy yarn! Looks like UPS will be visiting me alot. My yellow lab likes it because the driver always brings him biscuits :lol.:hug

Thank you, Pat! Is your Walmart closing out all it's yarn too?! :eek They were about the only place around here to buy yarn! Looks like UPS will be visiting me alot. My yellow lab likes it because the driver always brings him biscuits :lol.:hug

*Gasp* Don't say that! Wal-Mart here has half of its yarn on clearance. No wonder they weren't getting my favorite yarn in. :angry I would think that in a small town they would know better than to do that! I hope they are just getting new stuff here :sweatI guess otherwise I will have to shop at Craftsetc.com more often, but won't be able to buy little by little :(

~Cyndi~

and it is the simply soft also:( walmart is so going to lose business if they get rid of all their yarn. we are going to have to go on strike :lol:lol

I was in AC Moore and saw their simply had gone up to $3.39:eek

I FINALLY finished the scarf I promised! It only took about 1-1.5 hours to make! :lol However, it turned out great. The picture of course does not do it justice and could never convey just how soft this yarn is! :hook It will be in the mail on Monday.

DSCF1617.jpg

so pretty!! great work:manyheart

They have Simply Soft 'on sale' from the regular price of $2.07. Everyone who does not buy it regularly from there do not understand that is how much it always is. They have all the specialty yarns on sale but still have RHSS. Even 3 of the new colors. Welol the one in Hemet where I live is like that. But their yarn is so disorganized. I did see a HL store tour & about cried when I realized my husbands exwife lives around the corner from a HL in Avondale, AZ. I want to go with him. :)

With all that I have about 8 scarves going to you through Sissie when I mail the off next week.

I wish I could say we could protest Walmart, but I don't think it would do any good! I know a lot of people complained about them closing/reducing their craft depts last year and it didn't stop them. What really bugs me is that they drove the LYS's out of business and now they are closing out they're depts!:angry Looks like I'll be doing a lot of internet shopping!

Thanks for all the scarves that will soon be on the way ladies! I look forward to seeing them! :hug

I would like to contribute as well, but was wondering about colors. I found some bright & lofty at the dollar store (bought all they had! LOL) but it's very bright and I'm thinking probably innapropriate for this project. I do have a skein of some soft boucle in a burgundy and another skein of white... any opinions?

I would like to contribute as well, but was wondering about colors. I found some bright & lofty at the dollar store (bought all they had! LOL) but it's very bright and I'm thinking probably innapropriate for this project. I do have a skein of some soft boucle in a burgundy and another skein of white... any opinions?

I hope Ann doesn't mind me popping in here :) but I use the bright and lofty quite a bit for kids scarves. She's requesting them for kids, too. So, I'd go for it if I were you. :yes:hugI'm sure Ann will love it! :)

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and my favorite hobby is crocheting. I also do a little bit of knitting. I have several scarves made up already and am working on a few more. I enjoy making scarves and would like to help.

Lori

:rabbit

The bright colors are wonderful for the kids scarves! I love using the Bright and Lofty for them! Some of us, ahem, older survivors like the brighter colors too!:lol Thank you for helping. :hug

I hope Ann doesn't mind me popping in here :) but I use the bright and lofty quite a bit for kids scarves. She's requesting them for kids, too. So, I'd go for it if I were you. :yes:hugI'm sure Ann will love it! :)

Thank you for answering,Cherri! Pop in and answer any time! :hug

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and my favorite hobby is crocheting. I also do a little bit of knitting. I have several scarves made up already and am working on a few more. I enjoy making scarves and would like to help.

Lori

:rabbit

Hi Lori! Welcome! Looking forward to receiving your scarves. Would you like me to PM my addy to you? You can get it thru my website also which is in my signature. Thank you for helping! :hug

Archived