Scarves for victims of abuse, pattern ideas added post 963

got the hook, started on the scarf! thank you so much and i'll let you know when i finish!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello my dear friends, I know that it has been quite a while since we have chatted.  I'm sure some of you are wondering if this project is still active.  The answer is a great big YES! Lol!  I want t

Yes, they are talking of more snow,bleh.  I guess winter is going to go out like a lion, lol.  I've never cared much for the heat when I've visited FL, but I wouldnt mind some of it right about now. 

Thank you so much.  I'll keep a look out.  You wouldn't believe it.  Now I'm battling kidney stones! It never stops!    Whatcha gonna do though, I just pick up my hooks and try to ignore the pain,   

Posted Images

Cherri, your work is beautiful. Love the scraves and the squares.

I have one and a wonderful friend from Germany sent me some very nice yarn I'm going to turn into scraves.

Cherri, your scarves are beautiful! Thank you!

Kenly, you're welcome! :hug

Miss Crochet, I'll be looking for your 10!!! Wow, and you're getting ready for a wedding!

Oh, Oh, DH is giving my the look! He wants the computer, lol! I'll be back later! :hug

Hey everyone! I'm back, lol! Sorry I left so quickly yesterday, but DH and I share the computer and you know how that can go, lol! We had lost power Thur night so we both had some catching up to do! Then last night we had a really good thunder storm! So no computer time again! YIKES!!! DH was laughing at me :crocheting by flashlight, lol! Gotta get these scarves done for August :hook! Have a wonderful weekend!!!:hug

2692375177_8b94636dc9_m.jpg

Ann: Finally finished. Phew. Going to have to take the bat off my list of ones to do. Machine ate the first square, then I knit another one, and it took forever to do the bat as the thread kept on breaking. It has to be the pattern. Anyways, on the way to you! :cheer

2692375177_8b94636dc9_m.jpg

Ann: Finally finished. Phew. Going to have to take the bat off my list of ones to do. Machine ate the first square, then I knit another one, and it took forever to do the bat as the thread kept on breaking. It has to be the pattern. Anyways, on the way to you! :cheer

Thank you, Cindy! They are all so cute!!! :hug

Hey everyone! I just finished the first "pocket" scarf with a square that Cindy supplied. I think it's pretty cute! What do you think? Big hugs to Cindy for the squares!!! :hug

th_miscjuly003.jpg It's about 50" long. Do you think that's long enough for kids? The few patterns that I found for kids were about that length, so that's what I went with, lol!

Hey everyone! I just finished the first "pocket" scarf with a square that Cindy supplied. I think it's pretty cute! What do you think? Big hugs to Cindy for the squares!!! :hug

th_miscjuly003.jpg It's about 50" long. Do you think that's long enough for kids? The few patterns that I found for kids were about that length, so that's what I went with, lol!

I think the length is just about right. Just as a rule of thumb for myself making scarves for kids, is that I like to make them as long as the child is tall. This works out well for adults as well, if you like long ones that will wrap around your neck, then tuck inside your jacket. So, 50" would work just fine for probably a child about 4-5' tall, so elementary school-maybe 6th grade? I hope you don't have a lot of children who are abused in this age range... Do you need scarves for those kids? Wow... I haven't been watching this thread in a while, so if you need them for kids let me know. I've been saving "scarves" from scraps of fleece for a local thing here, but I wouldn't mind sending them there, at all. :)

Let me know!

Victoria

I think the length is just about right. Just as a rule of thumb for myself making scarves for kids, is that I like to make them as long as the child is tall. This works out well for adults as well, if you like long ones that will wrap around your neck, then tuck inside your jacket. So, 50" would work just fine for probably a child about 4-5' tall, so elementary school-maybe 6th grade? I hope you don't have a lot of children who are abused in this age range... Do you need scarves for those kids? Wow... I haven't been watching this thread in a while, so if you need them for kids let me know. I've been saving "scarves" from scraps of fleece for a local thing here, but I wouldn't mind sending them there, at all. :)

Let me know!

Victoria

Hi Victoria!!! Nice to "see" you! Haven't seen you in a while and I was worried. I see by your siggy that congrats are in order!!! I'm going to be a grammy again about that same time! :cheer

Thanks for the input, btw! The crisis center didn't specify ages when they asked for childrens scarves. They get such a variety of ages. I will ask them if we should be concentrating on a certain age group. They did ask for things like Mickey & Minnie so it leads me to believe they are needed for the younger kids. Boy, that makes me sad. Too many memories....

Anyway, for happier thoughts, I'd love to receive a fleece scarf or two (hint, hint, lol!). I've never seen one done in fleece, but was thinking how wonderful and soft they must be!:yay:hug

Ann, that's a really cute scarf - great idea with the pockets!

Thank you, Olivia! Actually it wasn't my idea. I wish it was though, lol! The idea came from a wonderful person that checks forum, but isn't a member of the 'ville. She e-mailed me with the idea. Sure wish she'd join!!! :hook

Ann:

The scarf is adorable :yay You did great. I'll work on more squares when I can and will add some Mickey pals also. Just wasn't thinking of the age group so thought we were dealing with 6 and over. Duh! Don't know where my brain was......

Hello you wonderful friends!!!! GUESS WHAT!!!??? I just counted up all the scarves that I've received so far and WE'VE MADE OUR GOAL!!!!!!!:cheer:cheer:cheer

As of right now the count is 64 SCARVES!!! I almost fell over when I counted them all up! Had to do a double take!!!:eek I still have 2 more scarves on my hooks. I think I'll finish those and work on some lapsquares the rest of the week (well, maybe, lol, hard to stop working on those scarves!). Won't they be surprised when I show up at the crisis center next Monday! :clap

Thank you all! 'VILLE MEMBERS ARE THE BEST!!!!:hug:hug:hug

Yup, I've been pretty busy lately, but all good kinds of busy lol. The fleece ones I have are really just a piece of fleece cut about 5-6" wide, and about 30-50" long, just however long the material was when I got to the end. You could probably cut a fringe, but I just thought I'd leave them as they are. I've seen them both ways. That reminds me... I have another diaper box around here for you... Talk to you soon!

Victoria

Hi Victoria!!! Nice to "see" you! Haven't seen you in a while and I was worried. I see by your siggy that congrats are in order!!! I'm going to be a grammy again about that same time! :cheer

Thanks for the input, btw! The crisis center didn't specify ages when they asked for childrens scarves. They get such a variety of ages. I will ask them if we should be concentrating on a certain age group. They did ask for things like Mickey & Minnie so it leads me to believe they are needed for the younger kids. Boy, that makes me sad. Too many memories....

Anyway, for happier thoughts, I'd love to receive a fleece scarf or two (hint, hint, lol!). I've never seen one done in fleece, but was thinking how wonderful and soft they must be!:yay:hug

Yup, I've been pretty busy lately, but all good kinds of busy lol. The fleece ones I have are really just a piece of fleece cut about 5-6" wide, and about 30-50" long, just however long the material was when I got to the end. You could probably cut a fringe, but I just thought I'd leave them as they are. I've seen them both ways. That reminds me... I have another diaper box around here for you... Talk to you soon!

Victoria

Thank you, Victoria! Good busy is, well, GOOD, lol! :hug

As of right now the count is 64 SCARVES!!!

Hurray! :clap

I actually have two more finished but I have to wait till I have enough to fill a box again. These scarves are very addictive ... short-term gratification, hehe.

I'm so glad we hit fifty ... but now I have to change my siggie!

Hurray! :clap

I actually have two more finished but I have to wait till I have enough to fill a box again. These scarves are very addictive ... short-term gratification, hehe.

I'm so glad we hit fifty ... but now I have to change my siggie!

They are addictive! As for the siggie....should we go for fifty for September??!!:think:eek:cheer

Ooh, Ann - you're setting a precedent! Do you think we could manage? Yerra - nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let's try!

By the way - do you think you'll donate everything you receive every month or keep some of the overflow from months like this to 'stock up' the lean months?

I don't know if I'll be able to manage ten a month but I'd love to be able to send you a big box on a regular basis. Especially because I now have ... an informal sponsor! I showed a friend of mine your website and she surprised me last week with a carrier bag full of wool. She said she didn't like donating money to the big charities because she felt it never really got to the people who need it, so she bought 10 skeins of standard acrylic yarn and said she'd "sponsor" some scarves. She'd prefer to donate something practical and know that someone will get comfort from it. Isn't that great? :clap

So I'll change my siggie to 'Fifty by September' and off we go!!