Scarves for victims of abuse, pattern ideas added post 963

grannyannie

Wow! Those are both beautiful! I don't know why I hadn't ever thought of making them with cotton yarn... Great idea! Just out of curiosity, about how much yarn does it take of cotton to make a scarf? About the same as out of acrylic? Thanks!

Victoria

Thank you, Victoria! To answer your question, yes, they both take about the same amount of yarn. I used about 2 1/2 oz of cotton and I believe it was about the same for the CSS. I meant to weigh out my skein when I was finished, but I forgot and used it for another project! I'll make another scarf this weekend and measure the yarn. :hook

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ann,

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I've posted my shawl to you on my blog, and a link to the charity. It's a new blog, but maybe it'll attract some more people to help your charity. Hey, it can't hurt, right? Talk to you soon!

Victoria

Ann,

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I've posted my shawl to you on my blog, and a link to the charity. It's a new blog, but maybe it'll attract some more people to help your charity. Hey, it can't hurt, right? Talk to you soon!

Victoria

Thanks Victoria! I'll take all the help I can get! :hug Love your blog, btw!

Hey Ann, I'm going to give that pattern a try this weekend with the peaches & cream. I think both of yours look terrific.

Thanks Pat! Hope you enjoy the pattern, Pat!

Victoria, and anyone else who might be wondering how much yarn my scarf takes as mentioned in an earlier post....well, I weighed out both scarves (why didn't I think of this sooner? :think). The one made with CSS weighs 2 1/4 oz. and the one made with Peaches and Cream weighs 2 3/4 oz. Hope that helps! I didn't get around to making another scarf this weekend. I've got the TRAVELLING HOOK III here!!! :hook:cheer

Have a wonderful day!

Ann, I did the peaches and cream with the pattern and it came out ok but I just don't like the feel of it. I'm now using sport weight yarn and a real simple pattern and I like it much better. I will say that the pattern certainly did work up very quickly. I may try the pattern with the sport weight also.

Ann, I did the peaches and cream with the pattern and it came out ok but I just don't like the feel of it. I'm now using sport weight yarn and a real simple pattern and I like it much better. I will say that the pattern certainly did work up very quickly. I may try the pattern with the sport weight also.

I found that once I washed the scarf I liked the feel of it much better! It gets nice and soft! Hope you have better luck with the sport weight. :hug

Thanks!!

Victoria

Victoria, and anyone else who might be wondering how much yarn my scarf takes as mentioned in an earlier post....well, I weighed out both scarves (why didn't I think of this sooner? :think). The one made with CSS weighs 2 1/4 oz. and the one made with Peaches and Cream weighs 2 3/4 oz. Hope that helps! I didn't get around to making another scarf this weekend. I've got the TRAVELLING HOOK III here!!! :hook:cheer

Have a wonderful day!

Ok, I'll put it in the wash and see what happens. Maybe that's the problem. I finished the sport weight one and I think that turned out nice. I want to try and get a couple more done and then I'll mail a batch.

Hi! I see from your website, that you received 34 scarves in April! That's great! I'm just curious, about how many are needed each month? Wouldn't it be great if we could have a group goal to make 50 total each month? It's sad to think there would be a need for that many, but there just might be. I don't have any idea how many you'd need, but abuse is such a horriable thing...

Victoria

Great Cause

Found some very soft yarn in my "stash". I completed one and hope to get a onother one done by the weekend. Please send your address and I will get them out to you.:)

Linda

Great Cause

Found some very soft yarn in my "stash". I completed one and hope to get a onother one done by the weekend. Please send your address and I will get them out to you.:)

Linda

Thank you, Linda! PM on the way! :manyheart

Ann,

Hi! I wanted to show you my blog, where I just made up some fun scarves! The yarn really isn't bad to work with, and since it was a V-stitch, I was crocheting in holes, except for the base chain. I'm collecting another diaper box worth of scarves, so it might be a little while before I send them to you, but I wanted to share the yarn suggestion, and pattern and everything here if anyone would like to try it.

Happy Sunday!

Victoria

Ann,

Hi! I wanted to show you my blog, where I just made up some fun scarves! The yarn really isn't bad to work with, and since it was a V-stitch, I was crocheting in holes, except for the base chain. I'm collecting another diaper box worth of scarves, so it might be a little while before I send them to you, but I wanted to share the yarn suggestion, and pattern and everything here if anyone would like to try it.

Happy Sunday!

Victoria

Those scarves are beautiful!!! Hey everyone go check out Victoria's blog! She, also, has very generously posted a wonderful pattern for the v-stitch scarf! V for Victory over Violence!

Victoria, LOL!, I have to tell you, I was laughing as I read your blog about the yarn. I read it quickly and at first I thought it said that you "smelled" the yarn! LOL! It's so pretty I thought that they had scented it with something too, lol! YUMMY! :rofl Oh, I think I need a nap! It's been a long day! Or a trip to a Hobby Lobby! Wish there was one around here!:( Enjoy the rest of the weekend! :yay

Lol... Nah, I didn't smell the yarn, although it shouldn't stink lol. :) That yarn is so much fun to work with! It's really neat! I haven't worked with "fun fur" before, but I do like some other kinds of novelty yarns. If they hadn't had a scarf made up with that yarn, I probably would have walked on by, and never discovered this yarn. :)

Talk to you soon!

Victoria

Hey Ann! It looks like you got quite a few for May! Wow! How many did you end up getting last month? I love to see the pictures on your website of all the scarves bundled and ready to go. :)

You're doing just an amazing job with this! I hope everyone keeps helping out with it!

Hugs

Victoria

PS

I have 1 or 2 more scarves to go to fill another diaper box, and it'll be ready. I hope to mail it during June sometime.

Archived