Scarves for victims of abuse, pattern ideas added post 963

grannyannie

Hello everyone,

I've recently started a project in my area (Central MA) with our local rape crisis center. I am crocheting scarves which are then brought to the rape crisis counselors and put in their kits. They give them out when they go on a new rape/abuse call. The purpose of the scarf is to let the abuse victim know that they are not alone. Someone whom they don't even know cares and understands what they are going through. My hope is that eventually many of these scarves will be made by other survivors like myself to pass on. Friends and family of survivors are also invited to make them. That is why I am coming here asking for your help. I have found this group to be very generous and I need a little help getting this project off the ground. Abuse victims feel so alone especially when it first happens to them. I know first hand how these scarves can help to make them feel better. They don't have to wear them, but just holding them can make a big difference. If you are inclined to make one, my only requests are that you use a soft yarn, and preferably at least 5" x 60". You can PM me for my address or with any questions. Thank you! :hug*** We are now also accepting wristbands (popular with the younger survivors) and lapsquares. Please see the website for more details.

It was suggested that I give you a little more info about my project. I call it Compassionate Creations. I came up with the name because some friends wanted to contribute, but they don't know how to crochet or knit, but do knotted fleece scarves. They are nice, soft, and made with love, so I feel they would be wonderful too. I will take scarves to the Rape Crisis Center of Central MA and they will be distributed from there. Before I take them there, I will package them with a ribbon and a small card that states: "A gift from someone who understands the pain you are facing, and who wants you to know you are not alone. Each stitch was created for you as a sign of comfort and support."
A link to the website is in my signature that explains everything in more detail and gives our mailing address.

The website is: www.compassionatecreations.cfsites.org
You can also reach me by e-mail at compassionatecreations AT charter DOT net

see some of our donators favorite patterns listed here on page 49, post 963.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, have first hand knowledge, and I think this is a wonderful idea....I'm a bit swamped with projects right now, but I can add a couple to my to do list...please pm me the address info.

This is a great idea! I've recently started making scarves using two strands of yarn held together, and a size N or P hook. Chain about 115, and then do 5 rows of dc (and play around with dc stitch patterns) and it comes out about 55" long and 5" tall or so. It's easy, and I can make one in under an hour, and about 5 oz of RHSS yarn.

I'll keep this in mind after we move and I get a little more time. Sounds like a wonderful project!

Victoria

I, too, have first hand knowledge, and I think this is a wonderful idea....I'm a bit swamped with projects right now, but I can add a couple to my to do list...please pm me the address info.

Just sent you a PM!

:hugANN

I've recently started making scarves using two strands of yarn held together, and a size N or P hook. Chain about 115, and then do 5 rows of dc (and play around with dc stitch patterns) and it comes out about 55" long and 5" tall or so. It's easy, and I can make one in under an hour, and about 5 oz of RHSS yarn.

Victoria

I love easy patterns! Especially quick ones, lol! Thanks for the idea!

:hugAnn

I would like to help out too. I know how a little bit of caring and compassion can go a long way for these victims. PM me with your information and I'll get some to you as soon as I'm done with my other charity projects.

I think this is a great thing you're doing and I hope it really takes off and that other people start similar things in their areas.

I would like to help out too. I know how a little bit of caring and compassion can go a long way for these victims. PM me with your information and I'll get some to you as soon as I'm done with my other charity projects.

I think this is a great thing you're doing and I hope it really takes off and that other people start similar things in their areas.

I just PM'd you. Thank you!

:hug Ann

Hi! Brand new to the site (been lurking for a while) and would love to start helping others. This is an awesome idea. I'll start making scarves...once I make them... what do I do with them?

Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd try to show you some of the scarves that I've been making. I usually forget to take pics, but I remembered last night! Unfortunately, I'm not a very good photographer, lol! Now let's see if I can figure out how to post this pic!

100_0165.jpg[/img]

Ok, I've tried resizing! Don't know what I'm doing wrong, HELP! This is my first attempt at showing something I've made. Might be my last, lol!

Archived