The Drum Afghan CAL

bobwilson123

hey everyone :hi

Would you like to join me in a CAL??

I am making a Afghan , that i have named "The Drum Afghan" and this is why

my boyfriend owns a drum kit, but it has been in storage for about 3 years

the other day we decided to set it up. There is a bass drum (the big one that is always in the middle ish )

well his bass is stuffed with a few sheets to get the correct SOUND .. apparently its a drum thing

anywho he said it didnt sound right so he pulled out the stuffing of the drum and this is one of the things that came out

i have never seen it before :think and his mother used to crochet ....but she passed away about 20 years ago .....the blanket looks BRAND NEW so we really have no idea how old it is

when the BF was ready to restuff the drum he was like "Where is that blanket i need to stuff my drum....:faint..... I DONT THINK SO !!!!!

Here is a link to the pattern that i am using

(i am only making mine 7 shells across and i only chained 22)http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa062703.htm

when you have made enough rows, I made 8, you can change the colour - in the last stitch in the row in the last part of the DC

It uses scraps, works up really fast, great for that stash busting and it is worked in strips, no joining squares !!!! :woo

When you have your strips sew/join them together and add a border

Make mental Note - just to make sure and to save alot of :frog every few rows or so just check to make sure you have the correct amount of shells across...some of us have already made a mistake and not realised until we have done alot more rows :oops

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask :hook

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, what a great story and what a great rug.

Get him to clean out his wardbrobe if he needs something to stuff the drum with.

Hi Ladies,

I think I will do this one also for my GN. She is 4 years old and wants every ghan I make. I have a huge box of yarn a lady gave me several years ago. It was loaded down with skeins of Caron Simply Soft yarn 3 & 4 ounces. Each color has 5 to 6 skeins. I think I'll use some of this. I've never seen this label so I know it was bought a long time ago.

Im on my 6th color, I did 50 rows today, no wonder my wrist is sore. Tomorrow I want to measure the girls beds so I know how long to make each strip.

Goodluck to those just starting, it will be interesting to see the colors and the borders that you all use.

it is amazing what you can find... when we were cleaning out my mother-in-law's house I found an afghan that her mother had made wrapped around a mirror to protect it.. the afghan must have been 30 yrs old and didn't look as if it had even been used..

What a great idea to use the dish cloth pattern for a square for the basis of an afghan. The blanket looks really nice.

I like the idea of stash-busting. I've needed to organize my scrap stash for awhile, anyway. I won't be able to start right away, though. Several other projects need to be finished first.

I'm in if it's OK that I wait a bit to start.

I started mine last night. I decided to make a baby blanket because I have so many half used skeins of sport weight and dk. Mine is in blues and greens. I'm thinking about white border.

I'm gonna try to make about 36" x 36" more or less. I chained 25 and it works up really quick. Great pattern.:yarn

Love the look of this one but knowing it is probably simple enough--- how do you join it as per the look of your pic? Do you work on it long wise working two rows (joining each) that way? I see the pattern is using the same stitch on the border.

Sorry, sometimes my old eyes don't see things the way they're suppose to......

Ana you use the dishcloth pattern until you have the desired length then with the border color you do granny stitch right round the whole strip. When you do the next strip you do the same thing then sew the whole strip together. Hope this helps, Im not very good at explaining things.

I'm going to make this a kid-sized one, I think - have lots of pinks, etc. Gotta go check the stash....:hook

HI judianne, did you find some yarn in your stash to start ???

Clare,

I have started this one today and will make 2 at the same time for my girls.. Im going to use dark pink and dark purple as the borders for both blankets that I will make for them.

Aussie yours sounds like it is going to be really pretty, if your weather is like mine you still have a while to completed it !!!! :sweat

I have a huge box of yarn a lady gave me several years ago. It was loaded down with skeins of Caron Simply Soft yarn 3 & 4 ounces. Each color has 5 to 6 skeins. I think I'll use some of this.

sounds like you have your yarn ready and waiting :) so grab that hook and hook away !

I am starting today...:hook

YAY!! dont forget to keep us updated with photos :photo

I did 50 rows today, no wonder my wrist is sore.

it will be interesting to see the colors and the borders that you all use.

Go Aussie !! they will look awesome as bed blankets :yes

i also carnt wait to see what colour combinations that we come up with

Give me till next week, so I can tie up some loose ends and get organized, then I'm in!

We will be waiting :)

I'm in if it's OK that I wait a bit to start.

Of course! i no whats its like to have SOO many WIP :faint

I just love this afghan! Hopefully I'll be able to start early next week. :hook

Sounds great !

I started mine last night. I decided to make a baby blanket I'm thinking about white border.

I'm gonna try to make about 36" x 36" more or less. I chained 25 and it works up really quick. Great pattern.:yarn

Isnt this pattern just wonderfull ?? its works up Sooo quick

Your colours sound wonderfull, its going to be very pretty

...this just goes to show how truly versatile the "granny" style is!!!!!!

The Old Granny,, god bless her :lol it truly is very versatile :yay

Sorry about the previous post being so HUGE ...i hadnt been on the computer for a few hours and had to catch up

So how is every one going to join theirs?? i think i may SC mine for a bit of added texture......hmmmm what to do :confused

I want to join in also but just started the class on the pineapple shawl so it will be a few days before I can start. So many WIP's -- think I better start assigning days of the week for specific projects as well.

That is cool. But (sigh....)... I have too many projects going as it is. What a cool idea, though; it's awesome. I'll have to check back in here to see how everyones' is turning out.

Tina

Darlene Im busy with the beginners filet class as well. I dont know how I find time to do all my projects but I sure do like the variety of doing different things all the time.

Clare I have started putting the dark pink border on my first one while I am still adding on more rows, somehow I think in my head that this will be quicker. As I do more rows I do more of the border. Our weather has gone cooler now which is great.

Archived