Thanks, and a new charity project!

Raquel

Hi all! You have all inspired me with all the charity work you do and I started contacting my local hospitals to see what they needed or would appreciate. I've only gotten one hospital to get back to me so far, but that's enough to keep me busy and motivate me to keep trying with the other ones! Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to all of you for the inspiration and all the support. You guys are great!!! :manyheart

If you want to see what I've done with this, visit here: http://sonomastitchers.blogspot.com My sister, Bec(Frangipani) is trying to start up something similar in Sydney, too! We're hoping to really get people energized in our respective towns. Now I'm off to get started on lots of little tiny hats and blankies...

Love,

:book Raquel

Hi Raquel -- We started our charity sewing group in February. I contacted social workers at local hospitals, cancer centers, and Hospice house. Some were slow getting back to me but, eventually, I heard back from all of them and we discussed their specific needs.

The NICU's all requested Isolette covers as well as preemie hats and afghans. They also wanted small crocheted (or flannel) square "blankets" in baby colors or prints, to use to cover the hospital's faded preemie receiving blankets.

The pediatric oncology units wanted chemo caps and IV covers. We also arranged for men's groups and Scouts in our area to gather baseball caps for the young men.

One gal devoted herself to making small stuffed Teddy bears.. Another lady is making small pillows for hospice patients. So we have a nice variety of items .. and we have a community effort going.

Archived