working behind stitches

goobergrl6

Question

ok so I am trying to make a blanket for my baby that is due soon. I did NOT look at the instructions before I bought it LOL! So I am STUMPED! I mean I get the concept but do not get HOW to do it. Do I turn it, should I be working in only the front or back of the stitch? I am so confused! Anyway here are the instructions.....

ch3 (counts as a dc now and throughout), sk first 2 sts, dc in each of next 3 sts, working behind 3 dc just made, dc in second sk st * sk next st, dc in each of next 3 sts, working behind 3 dc just made, dc in sk st, rep from * across to last st, dc in last st: turn.

ok so what I do not get is the working behind 3 dc just made. I mean I get that I go behind them and start with a dc in the second st I skipped at the start. But how exactly do I go BEHIND the sts? I tried to find some pics or something but came up with nothing. This is when I need grandma to live closer LOL! Can anyone help?

22 answers to this question

Goobergrl6, what pattern is it you are using? Is it a single pattern you bought online? If so you could post the link to the site that is selling it so we could see a picture of it. If it is a leaflet or a book, maybe one of us already has it to refer to.

It sounds like the right side of the blanket is the side the cross appears on, even though it is the "wrong" side of that row.

How many times in the blanket are these rows of crossed stitches repeated? What I am wondering is (here is how my mind works when I am working on something that is difficult or doesn't come out quite like I thought it would ;) ) how much difference does it really make if the cross goes from left to right or right to left? If these stitches aren't connecting up to some other design element that requires a certain slant, it might not matter.

It could be that the picture of the blanket you have is flipped and makes the crosses look the reverse of what they actually are.

Thanks for helping out, everyone! :ghug

This is why I love the 'Ville!! :woo

Just to verify, Amie's video on Nexstitch is indeed the correct way to work the dc behind, and I wrote the pattern so that the crosses go in the back because I found it quicker than making the crosses on the front - once I got the rhythm of the project going it went quick quickly. You can see a bit of a closeup of the fabric in this blog post:

http://blog.thecrochetdude.com/2006/11/01/sugar-hangover.aspx

HTH,

:bounce

Hi Granny Square :) You know I think they must have the wrong video linked there or something. Not your fault, it could happen to any of us.

I did a little swatching of the cross behind stitch and it really does look different than a cross in front, much more texture-y. Should be a pretty blanket.

I am so sorry! I'm such a doofus. :blush

I looked at the illustration of the stitch, which LOOKED like the hook was completing a reach-behind stitch, but I DIDN'T look at the video.

Sorry I steered you in the wrong direction...oh well, now you know 2 new stitches!

Way to go, Sammi! I clicked on the picture and an enlargement comes up (still too small to really see, but anyway...) and caption says "the unique pattern in this highly textured baby blanket is worked on the back of the blanket as you're stitching". So even tho it is the wrong side of the row it is right side of blanket.

If you do the stitch the way it is shown in the nexstitch video that Sammimag posted, you do have the crossed stitch going from bottom left to top right, when you look at it from the "wrong" side of that row. The side where you can see the crossed stitch is then going to be considered the right side of the blanket, apparently from your description. Don't worry about whether it is the right or wrong side of that ROW, the pattern is calling for that to be the right side of the BLANKET.

I hope that makes sense!

I think I found the pattern you are using here:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Publications/BabyChildren/Beautiful+Babies.htm

It's #4 the Texture Blanket right? it's by Drew E. - The Crochet Dude! Here's right here on the 'ville so you could get some input from the designer (if I have the right pattern that is.) Read though the pattern and see if one of the rows say it's the "right-side" or "wrong side" this might give you clue.

the cross repeats over the whole blanket. Kinda giving the while thing a diaginal look when it is all done. I got the pattern from a book at Michael's. Crochet and Knit beautiful babies by coats and clark. It is the textured blanket pattern. it could very well be that the diaginal is on the wrong side but they flipped it to make it look like it is on the right side..... the thing that is hanging me up is it looks like it goes from bottom left to top right and I just can not get it to go that way. I looked on their website for help but come up with nothing. :(

I REALLY REALLY appreciate everyone's help though!

ok in th epic there is the cross over on each row however I do turn and do a row of sc before I do the whole working behind thing again. In the picture the crossed over stitch goes from the bottom left to the top right and when I do it like the video it is going from the top left to bottom right. So I do want the texture on the right side but how do I do it to get it to go the other way?

Going behind or backward over 3 dc takes a little maneuvering if you haven't worked backward to skipped stitches before. If I were you, I'd make up a practice swatch. Do a row of X's... sk a st, dc, then cross back to the skipped st. Do 2 rows of that. Next row, try doing 2 dc after the skipped stitches & go behind the 2 dc's to the skipped st....do that all the way across the row. Then do the pattern stitch, skipping & doing the 3 dc's & going behind them. That way you build up to working backward.

Working a looser tension can help too. As well as putting a marker in the st you are going back to, for a few rows -if you have trouble spotting the skipped st that is. Bringing the 3 dc forward a little while you go behind makes it easier to get back there too. After going backward to the skipped stitch, you'll then have to go forward (past the 3 dc's to get to the next stitch which takes a little practice too (easier since you are working fwd though as apposed to backward).

I agree with Kathy, I think the video is showing this stitch wrong. I also do this stitch the same way you do, Kathy. It helps to pull the stitches down and towards you so that you can get to the skipped stitch.

Hi Goobergrl6 and Granny Square:waving Just wanted to jump in and join the discussion. Maybe I am looking at the video wrong or not understanding, but to me what the video shows is not working behind the stitches. What she is making in the video doesn't actually look to me like the stitch they show in the drawing. In the video she is kind of reaching around the stitch and the second stitch is kind of wrapped around the first.

To me, to get the stitch to cross behind the others, I have to fold the three stitches toward me. Or I can turn just to make the one crossed stitch. Otherwise I can't really get behind the stitches.

Can you tell from your pattern which side of the fabric the crossed stitch should appear on? that is what matters. You have to get the crossed stitch to show up in the proper place. In my mind,it doesn't really matter what method you use as long as it looks like you want it to. Usually I have seen crossed stitches like this made with the crossed stitch in front of the others, on a right side row. Does the pattern have crossed stitches on every row? If so you would have to do every other row by crossing behind so they would show on the right side.

Like I said, i may be missing something, but that is how it seems to me.

ok I LOVE you for the video! SO instead of going BEHIND the stitches I am actually reaching OVER the dc's I just made? Then when sk the next st and I skipping the stich AFTER the 3 dc's I already made?

I think I have it now or am I soooooo off?

No, don't turn. You will be making an "X" where there are 3 stitches going this way /// and one stitch going \ that way that is BEHIND the other 3.

but Here's what your work looks like after ch3, sk first 2 sts, dc in each of next 3 sts: .///. The left . is where you "are", the right . is the skipped stitch.

It's a little awkward, but yarn over, reach BEHIND the 3 dcs, insert your hook from front to back into the skipped stitch (through both loops), and finish your dc.

It's a little like how you make cables, except you aren't using fpdc or bpdc stitches.

Archived