What can I make with black?

crochet smartcat

Question

I have received some donated yarn for my charity project (Seattle Children's Hospital) and there is a ton of black. 4-6 skeins of worsted weight yarn. Can I get some suggestions of some quick patterns or items to make that call for black but would not be depressing. These items are going to a children's hospital and there are enough sad feelings without sending black blankies (LOL). Please HELP!!

18 answers to this question

Yup my first two thoughts were: One squares with black joining them. I made my grandmother a lap throw out of one large granny. I did every other row in pretty colors of scrap; and the even rows in black. It turned out really nice.

My second thought was holding black with a second color. I've done blankets that way and two of my favorites were black and purple; and blue and black. It's looks really nice and kind of tweedy. Works well with lots of colors.

I don't think a granny square blankie or afghan would be too dark. Especially if you use bright colors in the squares. If you make two or more squares alike, the kids can play a match game, finding the ones that are alike.

How about black kitty hats? This pattern is for an adult, but I just made it with a smaller hook (G, I think?) to fit my 5yo daughter. These flame hats are cool and made from this pattern.

You could also make some kid cardigans in either solid or stripes. I made one in violet recently. I can't recall the pattern, but it's free and available online. Let me know if you're interested and I can tell you the specific pattern I used.

Good luck!

So many ideas have been thrown out there, 3 of which I had also. Everything that has been suggested would be great & really appreciated.

Tween, I love that pattern for the baby IQ blanket. You could even make each square into its own little blanket. Just increase the rows.

I make most of my blankets using black yarn and a really bright, almost obnoxious contrasting color (those skeins of Red Heart Mexicana are fabulous for this). I do giant granny squares. 'Cause I'm boring. :D

You could checker board or use it as a stripe, like black, blue, black, blue...etc. I was just thinking today if I had black I would try to crochet a spider so I could sing the "itsy bitsy spider" song with my daughter.

or you could double it up w. a bright colour and make something that way.

Or it would be good for a penguin either as a toy or perhaps on a square.

Or a checkerboard pattern, come to think of it I saw a crocheted checkerboard somewhere.

A teddy bear pattern could become a panda using black and white.

Michaels has cow slippers (mostly white but some black included)

If I come across something I'll be sure to post it :)

I would say you could make black beanie hats for little boys and just add a bright colored stripe to them. My boys have a couple like that that they wear.

Great idea, Elizabeth. Or you could alternate the black yarn with bright colors & make small lapghans. Black adds real pizzazz to really bright colors. Do bright color squares of all colors then edge them in black & join in black. Those lapghans will POP!! :eek

How about slippers, beanies, robes for boys, stuffed animals (black dogs, cats, horse, birds), tote bags would be good for boys to carry their things around in, backpacks, halloween costumes (I know it's kind of early).

Archived