Sign in to follow this  
deedeep

V stitch increase/decrease?

Question

Hi All-

This is my first post here, so please be kind to a newbie! Now that I've mastered the easy stitches (sc, hdc, dc, etc), I am playing with the V stitch. However, I have no idea how to increase or decrease a piece made entirely of V stitches. I've been making a simple sleeveless shell out of V stitch (no pattern- I'm just winging it), and I'm at the point where I need to decrease for the armholes. What do I do after I make my turning chain? Should I just skip where I would normally put the first V stitch and put it in the 2nd? Should I make my turning chain longer? What if I want to increase instead of decrease? Any help/Advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated!

3 answers to this question

Without seeing the pattern, here is a common way: Use the slip stitch to work across the stitches you want to skip. Work across until you reach the center of your intended V stitch. To increase, work 2 V stitches in the center of the intended V stitch.

another way for a more 'gradual' line...

increase: chain 3, double crochet in same stitch (base of chain three), continue in established V-stitch pattern, at end of row place 2dc in top of turning chain. turn

chain 3, 2dc in next dc, continue in established pattern until 2 stitches left, 2dc in next stitch, dc in top of turning chain. turn

chain 3, V stitch in next dc, continue in established pattern until 3 stitches left, skip 1 dc, V stitch in next to last dc, dc in top of turning chain.

you have now increased two V stitches per row, one on each end, over three rows