V stitch increase/decrease?

deedeep

Question

Hi All-

This is my first post here, so please be kind to a newbie! Now that I've mastered the easy stitches (sc, hdc, dc, etc), I am playing with the V stitch. However, I have no idea how to increase or decrease a piece made entirely of V stitches. I've been making a simple sleeveless shell out of V stitch (no pattern- I'm just winging it), and I'm at the point where I need to decrease for the armholes. What do I do after I make my turning chain? Should I just skip where I would normally put the first V stitch and put it in the 2nd? Should I make my turning chain longer? What if I want to increase instead of decrease? Any help/Advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated!

5 answers to this question

another way for a more 'gradual' line...

increase: chain 3, double crochet in same stitch (base of chain three), continue in established V-stitch pattern, at end of row place 2dc in top of turning chain. turn

chain 3, 2dc in next dc, continue in established pattern until 2 stitches left, 2dc in next stitch, dc in top of turning chain. turn

chain 3, V stitch in next dc, continue in established pattern until 3 stitches left, skip 1 dc, V stitch in next to last dc, dc in top of turning chain.

you have now increased two V stitches per row, one on each end, over three rows

Hi KatinaS, welcome to the 'ville!

The 'v stitch' is a family of stitches, in fact my stitch dictionary has a whole chapter just on V stitches.  They are all some combination of stitches (usually taller than SC) with chains between, example 2 DC, ch 2, 2 DC--but the 'not chain' stitches don't have to be DCs, nor do the numbers have to be 2.  

I assume you are making a pattern up?  Because if you were following a pattern it should explain how to do this.

The most common way (that I have encountered) is to increase or decrease gradually over multiple rows - example, the 2 DC, ch 2, 2 DC variation is 6 stitches, you wouldn't want to decrease 6 all at once, you would not end up with a smooth fabric.  It would probably be on the order of something like this:

2 DC, ch 2, 2 DC  (to start, let's say row 1)

2 DC, ch 1, 2 DC (decreases 1 stitch, row 2)

1 DC, ch 1, 1 DC (decreases 2 sts, row 3)

1 DC (decreases 2 sts, row 4)

Conversely, you could follow that in reverse to 'grow' that specific V stitch out of 1 DC.  

If this wasn't the specific V stitch you were trying to decrease, the concept would be the same for any V stitch - you want to decrease it as evenly as possible, and over more than 1 row, so the change looks 'organic', like streams converging for example for decreases, or a branch sprouting for increases.

Edited by Granny Square