Where Do I Start?!

Good afternoon!

So I want to start the year off with a clean room, and my yarn is one area that needs improving. My question is: where in the world do I start? I was so good at keeping my yarn clean and organized, but now they are in such big knots and it's driving me nuts! Has anyone else been in my position? What did you do and how did you clean up your stash??

Thanks!

PS: Pictures to show you my problem! 2nd picture doesn't look too bad...but it's worse underneath all that yarn! :( And sorry for the large photos! I resized them at Photobucket, but it didn't seem to work the way I wanted.

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

I just recently cleaned up my stash. I went and bought one of the rolling under the bed storage bins, rolled all my yarn into nice balls if they less than half skeins. I also bought some of the plastic shoe organizers (WalMart has them for like .97) I put all my small balls and crochet thread in these. I also use the shoe orgainzers and gallon zip bags for all my WIP's and also my FO's that are the be gifted. Hope this helps.

I picked up some large-ish Rubbermaid totes at Target last time they were on sale. So I have about 3 of those FULL! Like yarn is squashed in because I didn't want to buy any more..............and I ran out of room to put them....:blush

One ball at a time.

If you look at all of the yarn, you will feel like this. :thair

BTDT lol! ...so...one ball at a time.

Keep messy yarn covered while you do it :lol & see the nice balls you are making (put in clear rubbermaids)...gives you positive vibes to cheer you on for the rest.

Eventually it is all nice again.

Then...

Rinse & repeat LOL! (after a few months when it is messy again) LOL

I just recently cleaned up my stash. I went and bought one of the rolling under the bed storage bins, rolled all my yarn into nice balls if they less than half skeins. I also bought some of the plastic shoe organizers (WalMart has them for like .97) I put all my small balls and crochet thread in these. I also use the shoe orgainzers and gallon zip bags for all my WIP's and also my FO's that are the be gifted. Hope this helps.

You read my mind YummyMumy.

I am using an old five drawer dresser which is working great but I want more floor space in my room. Plastic pencil cases work great for tape measures, sissors and extra hooks. Pill bottles for stitch markers/counters, needles and beads.

I also found one of those old folding knitting bags that I can keep next the couch so now my living room looks nicer.

Space Bags work great for WIP's and gifts as long as I am not getting into them constantly. It's nice their clear so you can see what's in them first.

One thing which is helpful, a couple times a year I sit down and start measuring all the little scraps I have leftover if they are three yards long I start tying them together then wind them into a ball.

Good luck on getting organized. :)

Ok, take one 'mess' of yarn at a time into a room with a TV and put in a good movie. Just sit in front of the tv and work on it. I just cleaned out my yarn closet and did it this way. It went faster than I thought is would. I then got clear plastic tubs and put them in those. What I didn't have room for I gave to my local Project Linus group. It felt really good to have that done.

Good luck to you.

sometimes I'll simply go in with scissors in a case like this .... sacrifice some yards for the sake of my sanity

and then do what my Mom did (she was SO organized!) which was to put each ball in its own baggie sealed up, with a small hole for the yarn to come out of. That way she could have all the bags in a big basket without them ever tangling up in each other.

Smart lady!

I have two plastic three drawer (the wide ones) rolling carts. If things get tangled, my wonderful husband will sort it out for me. :) I also have a basket that slides under the coffee table that I put current WIPs in for easy access.

I like the baggie idea. Might have to try that.

Heather

I put my projects in plastic bags. It's especially nice now that bags come in so many different sizes. A size for every project. You can also hang the bags on a pants hanger if you have a place to hang that up. I have it that way with my sewing projects. I'm going out tomorrow to get another see through plastic bin to put projects in. Right now I have them in ones that aren't see through. I'll use the ones that aren't see through for extra linens since I only have one small closet to put those in.

I like unraveling yarn. Such a feeling of accomplishment. Sometimes I unravel as I work on a project.

Archived